Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebuggers
Mushroom CloudLayin'Motherfucker
 User Gallery

working on a glove box... some questions
    #5172485 - 01/12/06 02:55 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I'm working on building a positive pressure glove box. I have a 25 gallon sterilite tub. I intend to cut a hole in the top and attach a piece of plexiglass for viewing. cut 2 holes in one of the big sides for gloves. and cut a hole in the side, attach a computer case fan to the inside and put a dust mask on the outside so the inblowing air is filtered and seal up any openings.

my questions are 1. what is something that i can use to extend the reach of my gloves to eliminate dead space that i cant reach inside the box.

2. how should i go about powering the fan?

and 3. do i need to seal the lid shut or should the positive pressure in the box eliminate the need to do so? i need a way to put stuff in it and take stuff out and clean it, etc.

4. is there anything else i should consider?

I plan on using the box for everything from inoculation, grain to grain, spore printing, etc.

thanks a lot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnarchysAvatar
Evil-MindedBreakdown
Male

Re: working on a glove box... some questions [Re: buggers]
    #5172520 - 01/12/06 03:05 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

1. I just built my first glove box last week, and let me tell you, that dead space thing is aggravating as hell. I ended up tearing the thing apart and starting over. Take my advice, invest a few bucks on some nice long gloves from Home Depot that everyone around here uses.

2.For the fan, it depends on how many volts it is. Either cut the end of an extension cord or, if it's a 12v piece of crap like mine, a lantern battery works fine, but is probably more expensive than a new fan+cord.

3. Doesn't need to be tight. Beauty of positive pressure.

--------------------
"Every Revolutionary Was Once Considered An Enemy"

Anarchy's Avatar - Out

Edited by AnarchysAvatar (01/12/06 03:06 PM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: working on a glove box... some questions [Re: buggers]
    #5172545 - 01/12/06 03:14 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

a glove box doesnt need a fan, you'll probably run into more problems trying to make one. go for a still air model.

OfflineZugg
Stranger
Re: working on a glove box... some questions [Re: AnarchysAvatar]
    #5172546 - 01/12/06 03:14 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Lol, what I did for the dead space was put two gloves on the longest side and one glove on each of the shorter sides. That way if I dropped something that I couldn't then reach, I'd be able to get it with another glove.

OfflineAnarchysAvatar
Evil-MindedBreakdown
Male

Re: working on a glove box... some questions [Re: Zugg]
    #5172564 - 01/12/06 03:20 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Wish I had thought of something like that. Fucking syringes kept rolling to the other side of the box. At the end I was tipping the box towards me to get them to roll back. That's when the rated R language started. :mad2:

--------------------
"Every Revolutionary Was Once Considered An Enemy"

Anarchy's Avatar - Out

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos
Re: working on a glove box... some questions [Re: AnarchysAvatar]
    #5172659 - 01/12/06 03:45 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

For reach, you could also just get a small pack of dryer duct from the hardware store. The tubing stuff that extends and contracts like an accordian. That's what I did for mine at least. I believe I got the idea from psychoslut, but I'm not 100% positive offhand.

If you go still air as opposed to positive pressure and you're worried about sealing, you could just get some weather stripping. Or at least that's what I did. Totally sealed, has worked like a charm so far.

--------------------

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Trusted Cultivator
Re: working on a glove box... some questions [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #5173227 - 01/12/06 05:38 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

i built a glovebox like last yr. sometime.
i make way too many jars, and i just use the oven to inject jars.

the only thing i use the glovebox for now is sporeprinting. theat's really about it. i made a positive flow, and i wishes i made a still air.

my cpu fan that i put in with a hepa filter on the outside, the lantern batt. died like 2 mths later. it sucks. besides... i only use it for spore printing. which is a good reason to build one, but working with those gloves sux donky balls!!!

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: working on a glove box... some questions [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #5173255 - 01/12/06 05:45 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Prisoner#1 is right. You rarely see the old hands using any sort of 'positve pressure' box. A glove box need not be sterile or have sterile air. There is absolutely no way that a dust mask or even a vacuum cleaner hepa filter on a sterlite container with a computer fan is going to deliver better performance than a simple container with two holes cut for your arms, but otherwise closed up.

What you want in a glove box is to have zero air movement. You can lightly mist the inside air of the box with plain water, and this will attract whatever contaminants are floating around in the box to the water droplets, where they will fall by gravity to the bottom of your glovebox. After that, simply do your work wearing latex gloves. I use tyvek sleeves on my wrists, pulled down over the surgical gloves. Wash the gloves with alcohol before working. I have nothing at all attached to the glovebox. Just two 4" holes for my arms to stick through. The loose fitting sleeves seal around the holes well enough, and allows me to pull my hands in and out with ease to use my alcohol torch. (I don't like to use the flame inside the box due to excessive heat) My success rate with the glovebox described above is equal to that of my laminar flow hood. I prefer the flowhood because it's easier to work in front of and you have more room to move around.

The problem with having a fan on your glovebox is it will cause turbulence inside the box, which will keep any contaminants in suspension where they are actually more likely to land on your project than without a fan. Best of luck.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinebuggers
Mushroom CloudLayin'Motherfucker
 User Gallery

Re: working on a glove box... some questions [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5173452 - 01/12/06 06:35 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

thanks for all the input. i tabled the fan idea for now and just duct taped the pair of gloves i had to holes cut in one side... if it works for what i need it to do i'll just leave it like that.

there is space i cant reach but for now i think i'm going to put a chopstick or something in there to give me enough reach to slide whatever i cant reach into reach. according to the guy at lowes plastic accordian type dryer ducting is really hard to find as it does not meet code specifications. the only thing they had was aluminum and it seemed like it would puncture too easily.

i'll probably do as somebody said and put gloves on the other side too once i finish my first grain to grain attempt.

thanks again.

Edited by buggers (01/12/06 06:38 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom