Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #5098862 -

Prosgeopax said:
So? I guess if being a fifty percenter makes you proud, enjoy yourself.



Not proud, just hopeful. maybe if he gets over 55% approval by 06 elections the Dem's will lose more seats.


--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: zappaisgod]
    #5099039 -

zappaisgod said:
Do you understand the words "usual" or "customary"? Like I said earlier even a large minority would suffice to preclude the term radical. You are becoming a caricature.



http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=customary

Quote:
customary

aadj 1: in accordance with convention or custom; "sealed the deal with the customary handshake" 2: commonly used or practiced; usual; "his accustomed thoroughness"; "took his customary morning walk"; "his habitual comment"; "with her wonted candor" [syn: accustomed, habitual, wonted(a)]



i wont go over bushs' laundry list.. suffice it to say that much of it would violate definition 1) above...

Quote:
And I sure don't see any indication of a Bushite revolution.



then maybe you better take that up with the bushites ..

Quote:
Further, the process of transformation,
even if it brings revolutionary change, is
likely to be a long one, absent some
catastrophic and catalyzing event ? like a
new Pearl Harbor.

source ..http://www.newamericancentury.org/RebuildingAmericasDefenses.pdf (p51)...




Edited by Annapurna1 (12/23/05 06:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: wilshire]
    #5099047 -

wilshire said:
more fun facts about americans:




Jesus Christ! Is all of that stuff true?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #5099094 -

there have been a lot of polls of the same type. americans are extremely, extremely stupid, most countries are worse, and the few that are better aren't by much.

i've read some regarding reading and comprehension. basically, the average american simply does not read and cannot write. the average american is also very, very ignorant of historical events. even recent ones. (eg. who bombed pearl harbor? in what half century was the civil war fought? what was the cold war?)

people are dumb. very, very dumb, and here in america, this is the best democracy that democracy could come up with.

:shrug:


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: wilshire]
    #5099261 -

i would argue that the lack of education in america is directly related to how successful our government and military are.


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: kotik]
    #5099285 -

kotik said:
i would argue that the lack of education in america is directly related to how successful our government and military are.



How is our government and military, 'successful'?


--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: looner2]
    #5099384 -

Quote:
How is our government and military, 'successful'?




well, based on the fact we are the world's leading superpower... of course this could be debated without end, but the only military that compares to us would be China, only in size not power or effectiveness. Of course, we are also the youngest superpower... but currently, I would say that makes our govt & military successful.


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: kotik]
    #5099409 -

Why would our superpower status be a result of being uneducated? Our military is the most educated one in the world by far.


What are the differences between other nations, notably Europe and the U.S when it comes to levels of education. I believe 15% of Americans have degrees, I wonder what it is for other countries. I tried to google but found nothing.


--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: looner2]
    #5099471 -

Quote:
Why would our superpower status be a result of being uneducated?



well, since its just a theory of mine, I am not prepared to prove it, only offer it as a reasonable debate. I would say that the less people are educated, the less they understand their rights and freedoms. The less inclined they are to question authority (whether it be police, bankers, teachers, so-called experts, etc. etc.) Would you agree that a population kept in the dark for the most part would be easier to please and/or control?

Quote:
Our military is the most educated one in the world by far.



I would love to argue with you, but I doubt either of us could prove this one way or the other. Overall, I would say that yes the US military is very smart, but the only requirements for enlisting are a GED, and a passing ASVAB score. (both can be waived, plus if you ever took the ASVAB you would know what I mean.. questions with a picture of a screw, that has a caption "which way would I turn this to tighten?" with 4 choices like clockwise, counterclockwise, push inwards, and n/a (mind you, clockwise and ccw both had diagrams of arrows for the idiots that couldnt tell the difference). again, neither of us would be able to prove this either way. There is also a huge difference in intelligence between officers and enlisted.

Quote:
What are the differences between other nations, notably Europe and the U.S when it comes to levels of education. I believe 15% of Americans have degrees, I wonder what it is for other countries. I tried to google but found nothing.



me too. most google results tend to focus more on comparing racial iq scores than national iqs.. however:

Quote:
Finnish pupils are the smartest in the world, according to a survey 15-year-olds in 41 countries, closely followed by three Asian countries.



http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,591-1392446,00.html


there was actually a great article in the latest Wired magazine loosely based on this subject... and we are nowhere near the top in education, progress or smartypantsness.


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: kotik]
    #5099960 -

it's mostly mass media, television in particular. people are stupid. they also have no taste. american culture reflects the mass stupidity of the people who consume it (and i use the word "consume" intentionally).


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: kotik]
    #5101003 -

kotik said:
i would argue that the lack of education in america is directly related to how successful our government and military are.



I would blame it on failed social policies.


--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #5101028 -

and the fact that the failed policies were instated in the first place, and continue to fail are results of an uneducated public.


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: kotik]
    #5101036 -

I disagree. You may be to young to remember but once upon a time you were actually expected to learn while in school.

I think the reason social policies have failed us is because they were badly thought out to begin with.


--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #5101059 -

i am pretty young (22), but I remember school pretty well, and to be honest I don't think the education was all that. I learned more on my own time than at school.

since it would be innaccurate to base my thoughts on my own experience, it doesnt help that the fuckin public education system is controlled by the same people that make the laws and make the jails.

without googling some sources to back up this claim, i would be so bold as to say home-schooled children are smarter than those that goto public schools.

i dont think that americans are stupid, or that kids are too stupid.. but the education system is designed to keep feeding the economy with busy-body workers, and little else.


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: kotik]
    #5101126 -

kotik said:
I would love to argue with you, but I doubt either of us could prove this one way or the other. Overall, I would say that yes the US military is very smart, but the only requirements for enlisting are a GED, and a passing ASVAB score. (both can be waived, plus if you ever took the ASVAB you would know what I mean.. questions with a picture of a screw, that has a caption "which way would I turn this to tighten?" with 4 choices like clockwise, counterclockwise, push inwards, and n/a (mind you, clockwise and ccw both had diagrams of arrows for the idiots that couldnt tell the difference). again, neither of us would be able to prove this either way. There is also a huge difference in intelligence between officers and enlisted.



I don't think you can argue it. You sound like you've been in the military so you probably have first hand knowledge, but just based on facts i'm positive that the U.S military is filled with college degrees, even those outside of the officer corps. Supposedly the NCO's are the most educated in the world. An all volunteer force, regardless of the rhetoric, leads to higher pay and greater benefits which leads to more qualified/educated individuals that consider military service. I think the military has over 80% with high school diplomas in contrast with the national average that is in the 70 % range.

It makes sense there is a difference between officer and enlisted based on 4 years of maturity and a college degree. I have taken the ASVAB and although it is an easy test it hardly can gauge the smarts that is indicitive of what I would consider an intelligent individual.


--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: looner2]
    #5101136 -

Quote:
I don't think you can argue it.



well that is something we can agree upon!

Quote:
You sound like you've been in the military so you probably have first hand knowledge



yes, but first hand knowledge is meaningless, considering I only worked on 3-4 bases, and i only worked with 2 other enlisted members.. the rest were officers and ex-military contractors.

Quote:
based on facts i'm positive that the U.S military is filled with college degrees, even those outside of the officer corps.



also, i agree. however college degrees do not equate to being properly educated.

Quote:
Supposedly the NCO's are the most educated in the world.




I agree once more, I hope I'm not coming down with something  :grin:

Quote:
An all volunteer force, regardless of the rhetoric, leads to higher pay and greater benefits which leads to more qualified/educated individuals that consider military service.




well, i for one, joined just for the GI bill (which i ended up losing literally 2-3 days after i finished paying for it over two years).  I almost entered the bootstrap program, but after a few years in the service, i realized that being in the military was not in my best interest.  the pay and benefits are great, no doubt about that.
Quote:
I think the military has over 80% with high school diplomas in contrast with the national average that is in the 70 % range.



well, this is somewhat of a skewed statement.  the air force will not accept anyone without a GED or diploma.  Same with the navy and army I believe, however they have more waivers.  The marines, well thats a diff animal all together.  in fact when signing up for the military, i considered the marines first, and the recruiter told me "i respect you son, you have the education to join the air force and become anything you want, but you have the courage to join the marines and be a hero."  I asked him to repeat that, got out of my chair and went across the hall to enlist in the USAF.  :grin:

Quote:
It makes sense there is a difference between officer and enlisted based on 4 years of maturity and a college degree.



college degree, yes.  maturity, HELL HELL HELL NO.
Quote:
I have taken the ASVAB and although it is an easy test it hardly can gauge the smarts that is indicitive of what I would consider an intelligent individual.



so we are back to square one  :thumbup:

to quote a really smart guy: "I don't think you can argue it."


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: kotik]
    #5101323 -

kotik said:
i am pretty young (22),



Pretty young? LOL!

Quote:
but I remember school pretty well, and to be honest I don't think the education was all that.



I'm 48. Believe me, it was much more than it is today.

Quote:
I learned more on my own time than at school.



Most of us do. So what?

Quote:
since it would be innaccurate to base my thoughts on my own experience, it doesnt help that the fuckin public education system is controlled by the same people that make the laws and make the jails.



True enough.

Quote:
without googling some sources to back up this claim, i would be so bold as to say home-schooled children are smarter than those that goto public schools.



It's been shown many times to be the case. Again, so what?

Quote:
i dont think that americans are stupid, or that kids are too stupid..



Many Americans are stupid. And sadly it gets worse with each generation.

Quote:
but the education system is designed to keep feeding the economy with busy-body workers, and little else.



Yup. Those damn social policies again.


--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #5101400 -

luvdemshrooms said:
I disagree. You may be to young to remember but once upon a time you were actually expected to learn while in school.

I think the reason social policies have failed us is because they were badly thought out to begin with.



apparently you didnt...and instead of flunking you out like they should have..the schools decided to lower their standards instead...


--------------------


"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: Annapurna1]
    #5101841 -

Annapurna1 said:
luvdemshrooms said:
I disagree. You may be to young to remember but once upon a time you were actually expected to learn while in school.

I think the reason social policies have failed us is because they were badly thought out to begin with.



apparently you didnt...and instead of flunking you out like they should have..the schools decided to lower their standards instead...



The best you can do is resort to a "lame flame"?


--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rasmussen Poll: Bush @ 50% [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #5101916 -

i grew up in florida, and i can personally vouch for the whole lower standards thing. they were having ahuge problem with kids failing, and the overall passing rates were horrible. so instead of hiring more teachers, or something like that, they decided to lower the grading scale, so that 90 and above was an A, 80 above was B, etc. etc.


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* 2 Polls - Bush & 911 somebodyelse 689 10 07/02/03 05:42 PM
by luvdemshrooms
* new poll shows decisive swing to bush... Annapurna1 2,220 17 08/26/04 02:08 PM
by Swami
* President's Approval Rating Takes First Dip Below 50 Percent fft2 371 0 07/27/04 06:00 AM
by fft2
* Bush is in deep trouble: An analysis of the post-convention fft2 586 1 08/19/04 04:54 PM
by Divided_Sky
* Time Poll - It is all over but the crying! JesusChrist 1,017 17 09/04/04 04:15 PM
by sir tripsalot
* Bush Support Among Arab Americans Tumbles
( 1 2 all )
Zahid 2,250 29 08/28/04 06:49 PM
by Zahid
* Nader climbing in the polls
( 1 2 all )
mabus 3,602 38 03/16/04 09:29 AM
by Phred
* 60% of Brits despise Bush and do not want him in UK mjshroomer 1,114 13 12/22/03 10:41 AM
by G a n j a

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
3,306 topic views. 1 members, 0 guests and 24 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.