Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNESpores
Formerly MyLady
Male User Gallery

Loc: Vermont USA
Growing Shaggy Manes?
    #4706486 - 09/24/05 08:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Does any body know how to do this? I have some wild collected spores and really want to grow some but I cant find squat anywhere...
Has it even been attempted?

thanks!

--------------------
Did your grow fail, and now your out of spores? Problem Solved. Check out my CakeSaver Tek.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5236115/an/0/page/0

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
Re: Growing Shaggy Manes? [Re: NESpores]
    #4706551 - 09/24/05 08:24 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Shaggy mane can be grown outdoors. After you get grain spawn ready, spawn it to straw, wood chips, or leaves/mulch.

--------------------

Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
    #4707167 - 09/24/05 11:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Page 168/The Mushroom Cultivator

SPECIES: Coprinus comatus

STRAINS: On deposit at the American Type Culture Collection and available through various culture banks, both commercial and private.
COMMON NAME: The Shaggy Mane.
GREEK AND LATIN ROOTS: Coprinus comes from the Greek word "kopros" meaning dung and comatus from the Latin "coma" meaning shaggy or adorned with hair tufts. The genus Coprinus is noted for the several species that grow on dung and for deliquescing gills. The species epithet describes the shaggy texture of the cap's surface.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Cap medium to large in size, whitish, ovoid when young, soon elongating upwards and becoming parabolic. As the mushroom matures and spores are produced, the cap begins to disintegrate from the margin's edge by an autodigestive process known as deliquescence. The disintegrating portions progressively darken and eventually liquify. The cap surface is smooth at The disc, scaly below, soon gray, darkening with maturity until black and thin fleshed. The gills are very crowded, whitish at first, soon gray, darkening with age to black. The partial veil membranous, often leaving a fugacious, membranous (collar-like) annulus that can be moved over the stem. The spore deposit is black.
NATURAL HABITAT: Common along roadsides, near debris piles, in lawns and in barnyards during the late summer and fall.

GROWTH PARAMETERS
Mycelial Types: Linear to cottony, zonate-cottony mycelia; whitish in color.
Spawn Medium: Rye grain. See Chapter III.
Fruiting Substrate: Composted wheat straw enriched with horse and/or chicken manure, adjusted to 70% moisture content. Also, pasteurized chopped wheat straw supports fruitings of this species. Garcha et al. (1979) reported that composts having The distinct scent of ammonia after Phase II supported the greatest fruitings of Coprinus comatus.
Method of Preparation: See Chapters V & VI on the preparation of compost and straw. Pasteurization achieved through exposure to live steam for 2 hours at 140?F. Compost or straw should be filled to a depth of 6-12 inches.
Spawn Run:
Relative Humidity: 90-100%.
Substrate Temperature: 76-80 ?F.
Duration: 8-12 days.
CO2: 5000-10,000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 0-1 per hour.
Type of Casing: After fully run, cover with the standard casing whose preparation is described in Chapter VIII. Layer to a depth of 1-2 inches. The casing should be balanced to a pH of 7.0-7.5.
Post Casing/Prepinning:
Relative Humidity: 90-100%.
Bed Temperature: 76-80 ?F.
Duration of Case Run: 10-12 days.
C02: 5000-10,000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 0-1 per hour.
Primordia Formation:
Relative Humidity: 95-100%.
Bed Temperature: 65-67 ?F.
Air Temperature: 62-65 ?F.
CO2: less than 1000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 4 per hour.
Light: Natural daylight or grow-light recommended on a 1 2 hour on/off cycle.
Cropping:
Relative Humidity: 85-927o.
Air Temperature: 62-65?F.
C02: less than 1000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 4 per hour.
Flushing Interval: 7-10 days.
Harvest Stage: Directly before the gills begin to deliquesce.
Light: Natural daylight or grow-light on a 12 hour cycle on/off cycle.
Yield Potential: Average commercial yields are 2-3 Ibs/sq.ft. over a 4 week cropping period.
Maximum yield potential has not yet been established.
Moisture Content of Mushrooms: 92-94% water; 6-8% dry matter.
Nutritional Content: 25.4 % protein (dry weight).
Comments: Like many other species in this genus, Coprinus comatus is a Thermotolerant mesophile that often appears in compost piles. This mushroom was first grown in quantity at the Dutch Mushroom Research Station using the same compost, casing and environmental parameters as for the cultivation of Agaricus brunnescens. The authors have grown this species on compost prepared for Agaricus and on straw alone, although fruitings appear more substantial on the former.
Coprinus comatus is edible and choice. However, the crops are difficult to keep because of the early onset of deliquescence. By submerging mushrooms in water, deliquescence is slowed and mushrooms remain in good condition for several days after picking.
Extracts from fresh specimens of this species has been shown to have antibiotic properties, similar to Those from Lentinus edodes. Genetic Characteristics: Basidia tetrapolar (4-spored), forming haploid spores; heterothallic.
Clamp connections present. See Chapter XV.
For further information consult:
P.J.C. Vedder 1978, "Modern Mushroom Crowing", Educaboek, Culemborg, Netherlands.
(English edition available from Swiss American Spawn Company, Inc., Madisonville, Texas)

Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
Re: Growing Shaggy Manes? [Re: veggie]
    #4707553 - 09/25/05 12:40 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

That's what I just said Veggie, lol.  Good info.  That's why you are a mod and I am not.  :imslow:

--------------------

OfflineWorkmanV
Psilocybe Microscopist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #4714230 - 09/26/05 02:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlineveryhoudini
Stranger

Re: Growing Shaggy Manes? [Re: Workman]
    #15239142 - 10/17/11 05:49 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

I'd like to try to cultivate it indoors, and see how hard it really is.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms