Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time.
    #4602979 - 08/31/05 11:33 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm planning a solo trip in the coming days. It will be my first one, and the substance I ingest will be LSD. I plan on taking three hits, the largest dose I'll have taken since my first time doing LSD about 2 and a half years ago. This will be my 16th or 17th acid trip. I plan on dosing on the subway uptown, getting out, and then walking around my city, and laying down in a field in Central Park for a few hours writing and thinking.

My life is in a heavily transitional stage right now, everything is changing. I find myself feeling like I'm floating, with no motivation, no sense of focus. Seems a little assbackwards to take acid in order to find focus, considering how scrambled I always feel the next day, but that is what I'm doing.

In the past few weeks I've developed a resurgence of faith in the symbols around me, and faith in general. The last time that I took acid, the end of the trip had me seeing this brass gospel band trying to get the crowd to raise their voices to heaven and sing for the lord. I understood that "God" was just a metaphor for the network of connections I knew comprised the universe, but I couldn't just "Let Go" and embrace my faith in the universe.

That's what I want out of this trip. I want to come out of it feeling spiritually awakened. AFOAF has suggested that this may require a difficult trip, even a bad trip, and I'm willing to accept that.

What I'm most afraid of is that my trip will get completely sidelined somehow and that I'll come out of it feeling empty if my goals aren't achieved.

How do you usually go about setting goals for yourself when you trip, especially when preparing for an introspective solo trip?

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4603004 - 08/31/05 11:41 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Set the goals that are achieved in the future. You will know when they are reached. In other words, don't worry about it. Trying to steer the experience will only veer it off course. Trying to do anything makes that thing not so. Wanting is an admittance that you already do not have what you need. Kind of empty if you ask me.

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

Male

Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: mecreateme]
    #4603015 - 08/31/05 11:44 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yes yes, I've thought of that myself and I know that trying to steer the course of the trip can only derail it. That's why I'm not asking for tips on during the trip...more on shaping my mindset going INTO the trip.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineKhaunshar
Stranger

Loc: BE
Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4607194 - 09/01/05 07:43 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I think you can set your mind to the kind of trip u want, just read some at s&p, my last LSD trip involved solving a puzzle, it was a hard one :rolleyes:.

gl, Lucy will show u the way :thumbup: :mushroom2:

--------------------
fashs and cops, both go down, as the aggro spreads across town, bricks n bottles fall like rain, evil coppers double up in pain

OfflineString_Theory
Piece of theUniverse

Loc: The Bottom
Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: Khaunshar]
    #4607267 - 09/01/05 09:29 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I suggest some meditation beforehand to center your mind. Even if youre not into that, letting your mind sit in itself without thought for any period will help focus your direction and confidence in yourself. What better way to be open to realization than to be in the 'now' of your trip?

Offlinetheorganicdomino
Psychedelic ZenBuddhist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: String_Theory]
    #4607291 - 09/01/05 09:54 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Trust in the experience.

It sounds like you're stressing too much about achieving or not achieving certain realisations. All that worry is going to push the trip into directions of uncertainty.

You sound like you have a plan, perhaps you may want to add to it. Maybe set yourself more tasks/activities to do. But don't make them mandatory. I always have loads of art materials, artbooks, musical instruments, cds & compilation albums etc ready to hand each time I trip, but I don't necessarily end up using any of them.

Sometimes you need things to do - once I built an entire city scape out of all the board games I own - other times just sitting and listening to music is all I want to do.

I'm about to go for an intense mushroom trip with my wife and although I have goals I am confident in trusting in the experience to lead me in the direction I need to go.

Remember, you always get the trip you need - even if your realisations have nothing to do with what you set out to learn!

You might want to make more of a ritual out of the experience, prepare a written 'prayer' to voice before taking your dose, do some meditation and focus on want you want to resolve.

Follow the tide, don't force it.

And above all enjoy it!

Good luck.

--------------------
"You've got to get hold of the thread of marching time, pull the fuck thing down, get on the end of it and pang yourself to the infinitude of absolute mind"
Ken Campbell - Furtive Nudist

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced" - Aart van der Leeuw

Edited by theorganicdomino (09/01/05 09:58 AM)

OfflineJabbawaya

#4607392 - 09/01/05 10:57 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

That's good that you're going to trip with the right idea. It seems you already do have a goal. I would only recommend a better setting. You're looking for introspection and self-improvement; it could be a lot more comfortable to trip in your own home. This would also allow for much-needed meditation before the trip, and during. Resting and quieting your mind, starting several ways before the trip, is the best way I know of to prepare.

Like you said, unfortunately some of the most beneficial trips are the most difficult ones. Bad trips, once you learn from them, can be hugely beneficial in the long-run. It's never fun to investigate all your problems, but once you do, it's so much easier to find solutions to them. Just don't dwell on the bad stuff. Remember that you always have the power to change yourself. You are in control. Don't ever forget that, and don't ever think otherwise.

From experience I can say, at least in my case, that walking around randomly all over the city with no plan in mind usually does not make for a fun trip, but rather a very unsettling and disquieting one where nothing gets accomplished. Your place of residence, where you can be sure you won't be bothered for the duration (and preferrably sometime after as well) is the best place to trip. If not it would be best to find any place where you can be alone and won't be disturbed, hopefully with some fun things to do as well (very important!), but where you can meditate and think in quiet.

I wish you luck, and the best experience.

--------------------

Offlinetheorganicdomino
Psychedelic ZenBuddhist
Male User Gallery

Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: Jabbawaya]
    #4607483 - 09/01/05 11:34 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jabbawaya said:
I would only recommend a better setting. You're looking for introspection and self-improvement; it could be a lot more comfortable to trip in your own home.

Completely concur with this - the last solo flight I did (4.5g Cubes + 10g of philosopher's stone truffles) took place almost entirely in my living room. Just me, a tape recorder with microphone, the DVD of "2001: A Space Odyssey" and four hours worth of especially prepared music compilations (I slave over my trip compilation tapes, it took me a month to plan and mix the ones for the next trip, but boy is it always worth it).

Discorporation was never so easy!

--------------------
"You've got to get hold of the thread of marching time, pull the fuck thing down, get on the end of it and pang yourself to the infinitude of absolute mind"
Ken Campbell - Furtive Nudist

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced" - Aart van der Leeuw

Edited by theorganicdomino (09/01/05 11:36 AM)

Male

Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: theorganicdomino]
    #4607609 - 09/01/05 12:22 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you all for your thoughtful, well-worded input.

I wish I felt comfortable enough in my own apartment to trip alone here, but the fact of the matter is that I've only lived here for 3 weeks and am not completely comfortable with my roommate and all just yet, definitely don't want to be around him during the meat and potatoes of my trip, though I can handle his company on the come-down I'm sure.

I don't intend to walk around NYC for the *bulk* of the trip so much as I intend to lay down in a field in Central Park with headphones, and just write. But you may be right, perhaps there is too much distraction there. I don't know. I'm thinkin Saturday, and yet I don't know if I'm "ready."

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

#4607962 - 09/01/05 01:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Don't overanalyze it man, when you're ready, you'll feel it :smile:

I think the majority of my trips have been solo trips...from my experience I find it's best to trip in as secluded a spot as possible, otherwise I feel social constraints to act and behave in a certain way (but that could just be me).

You know yourself best though...if you think you'll have no problem in walking around the city and relaxing in the park then go for it. Music and pen and paper seem like necesseties, so definitely bring some of that.

Most importantly, BE HERE NOW!

:peace: :sun:

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4608448 - 09/01/05 03:29 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Not goals for me...more like "stuff to think about." 

I just write a few things I'd like to think about in my trip journal. 

Usually I only try to have one "goal..." which is to let go...always let go, go with the flow, etc. and the like...

But pretty soon I am going to have a day where I ingest mushrooms and chain myself to the written word (and my desk).  The only goal then will be to "keep going."  I've been desiring to do this for awhile now, but I suspect if I can't "take a break" it might get pretty hellish at times.  But that's the point, kinda. 

Robot, I believe that if you focus only on trusting your mind to show you what you need, you will find what you are looking for.    Write down a few specific points to think about on a trip if you feel guided to do so, and then let the trip take you over.  Goals only hinder on an intense trip, in my opinion, because it gives the illusion that these things needs to be "done" or "completed" for the trip to be a success. 

theorganicdomino said it best:  Trust in the experience. 

And even more, trust in yourself. 

How can you have faith in the universe if you don't have faith in yourself?  :smile:

Safe journey.  :heart:

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: MOTH]
    #4608831 - 09/01/05 04:50 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, all the important things have been said, and nicely so.

If there's one goal to have, it is forgetting about all goals, allowing yourself to completely lose control, lose your grip on things. For people like me, this takes time, experience, confidence build-up, and trying not to try. Reflecting and meditating beforehand is key, to put yourself in a receptive and open mood before and into the trip. Some form of ritual may be reassuring if you're comfortable with it.
And, of course, since you must be able to lose yourself completely (for a while) for maximum reward, I naturally second everything that's been said about setting. I realize this ain't easy for you, but you may want to wait until your roommate is out of town for a night.

Have a great experience whatever  :sun:

InvisibleFunkyLoFi
Existing

Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: Aldous]
    #4609123 - 09/01/05 05:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

My best trips have been the ones where I had no plans/goals of any sort...and just let the experience take me where it so pleases.

I feel it is very difficult to plan and complete a certain task for a trip...it's never as good as I imagined it would be.

Enjoy your trip! Stay safe!  :tongue2:

--------------------
All the people you knew were the actors

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: FunkyLoFi]
    #4609137 - 09/01/05 05:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i cant say that i have necesarilly set any specific goals, i always try to gain something from every experience, and just leave it at that, if there is something there to be gained or found, it always is, but i have found that trying to hard to gain or find something always makes achieving said goal much harder.

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God
    #4611481 - 09/02/05 04:45 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Goals can be achieved. In tripping and in life. You create your own reality.

There are certain types of goals which can be achieved while tripping... however, they best goals are broad... Leary has a list of goals in The Psychedelic Experience (There is a link in the Essential Links of the Tripper's FAQ)... but, I'll pull these, "Trips" out of my ass.

These suggested trips can overlap a bit, but you'll see where I am going... and remember: during a trip, the unknown can, and does change the mindset... at least once a trip... for most anyone. You control the world and it controls you.

The spiritual trip (OOOOOOOHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I want my babybackbabybackbabybackbabyback I want my babybackbabybackbabybackbabyback)

The FUN trip (AND... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!)

The nature trip (Fuckin' tree huggers!)

The creative trip (I can think of absolutely nothing to put here.)

The ego trip (I AM A GOLDEN GOD!)

Ego loss (Woah...)

The elf trip (hehehehe)

The game trip (EVERYTHING'S a GAME MAN!)

The bad trip (Bad)

The LOVE trip (Best trip possible)

Or, for a more specific trip, meditate on a topic, or subject of importance... until you discover what you wish to find. Play music which provokes your memories and emotions.

You can always ask the acid, and ESPECIALLY mushrooms, questions. You always get an answer... if you are looking with three eyes.

A day of preparation is all you should need to create the proper mindset for your trip.

As for setting... Central Park is a GRAND setting for a trip, however, that setting will dominate your trip... and will leave your mindset in the passenger, seat much, if not most, of the time.

To create the proper trip mindset, and sustain it, it is best to be in a "Safe" environment. At least until you get your sea legs.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: Rose]
    #4611501 - 09/02/05 05:00 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

is the elf trip the same as the everything is a hilarious joke trip?

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: faslimy]
    #4611506 - 09/02/05 05:03 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The "Elf" trip implies a mischievious, other-worldly, Puck-ish nature. The opposite of spirituality... but within a similar realm.

Hillarious jokes would fall under "Game" tripping, by my definitin, or "Fun".

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineCUBErt
Connoisseur ofHallucination
Male

Loc: Southern CA
Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: Rose]
    #4613203 - 09/02/05 06:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Everyone is different, but I know I wouldn't do too well in that setting for the type of trip you are thinking. Tripping and people-watching can be a great time just for fun, but if you really want to reflect about your own life the city might not be the place to do it. Seeing cops would make me nervous and seeing homeless people, etc would make me sad and I would focus on them rather than myself. I think the park/nature setting is ideal, but maybe try to find one that is more secluded or perhaps go camping for a day. As for planning the trip, that hasn't usually worked for me. Alot of times I think "id like to do this or hear this song" when I trip but when the time comes i completely change my mind. I recommend going into it with a more broad idea of what you want, and then letting the trip take you where it goes. Afterall, if you are doing this to find focus, then you are putting your trust in the drug, which means you shouldn't try to have so much control over it. Just allow it to teach you.

--------------------
-CUBErt
:cubie::levitate::cubie:

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: Do you set yourself goals before any of your trips? I'm about to for the first time. [Re: CUBErt]
    #4615498 - 09/03/05 06:44 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

A city trip can be amazing... if you trip smart.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience