Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Can gum kill you?
    #4564083 -

Okay...

To make a long story short, I consumed quite a bit of gum. 

It's the sugury, tasty kind. 

This morning I woke up with diahrea and now my lower abdomen is aching, like a stomach ache.  When I press there, it hurts a little. 

I figure it will pass because I have eaten lots of gum before and not died. 

But you know...I still wonder about it. 

Help?  Am I going to die from gum in my intestine??!! :sad:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: MOTH]
    #4564096 -

I doubt it, you're just freakin out :smile:


--------------------
I got a buddy with United Fruit, get ya started...

Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: MOTH]
    #4564112 -

Hey man.... I heard that if you swallow gum, you'll blow bubbles out of your ass when you fart....


--------------------
_________________________________________________

Fuck this......let's go smoke a bowl.

"Weed will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no weed."  --Freewheelin' Franklin

"Life is not all....flowers and sausages!"

I <heart> Joe!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: Mighty Bop]
    #4564115 -

Yes, that's probably true, but I'd just like some time to prepare for death in case it's coming for me by way of a gum obstruction in my gut.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: MOTH]
    #4564138 -

It certainly might take a while to break up. As long as you are shitting, something must be getting through though.

Might be a good idea not to swallow anymore. (yes, I said swallow, everyone laugh in programmed unison, right about.... now. Ah yeah, that's what I like to see. Machines.)


--------------------
Do not despair, said the mystery. You will always have a friend in me. Untill the day you break my code. Then I will be gone, and you are free...
to manifest another.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: MOTH]
    #4564156 -

Chewing gum base is indigestible, but humans consume a lot of indigestible things. They're all simply eliminated from the body after the usual jog down the alimentary canal. Chewing gum might take a few days to pass through your system though.


--------------------
Every Animal Is Someone 🌱 watchdominion.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: ivi]
    #4564172 -

Yeah, I figured it would be shitted out. I mean, it always has before.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: MOTH]
    #4564174 -

hahah this is the strangest thing ever. I don't believe gum could KILL you.

I'm sure the sugar could cause quite an upset though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: error]
    #4564179 -

WEll, I just realized that if gum were lethel in large quantities then lots more children would be dying from gum ingestion every day.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: MOTH]
    #4564188 -

True. :laugh:

Besides, you should be more worried about your teeth, if you're chewing the sugary kind....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: MOTH]
    #4564193 -

How many pieces are we talking about here?
And thanks for not spitting it onto the sidewalk.


--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4564195 -

I just found this, so it looks like death is averted for now:

Swallowing your Gum

Quote:
Question:
My 2-year-old grandson swallows lots of bubble gum. Could this be harmful?
Answer:
Many of us grew up with the warning that we shouldn't swallow our gum because it would take seven years for it to be digested or it would clog up our intestines. Although neither of these old wives' tales are true, chewing gum is not intended to be swallowed.

Chewing gum is classified as a food product by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and, as such, must meet strict safety standards. Because gum manufacturers tend to keep their recipes secret, however, the exact ingredients and differences between various types of chewing gum are not readily known.

The most common ingredients in chewing gum include sugar, gum base, corn syrup, flavoring, coloring and softeners (such as vegetable oil). Gum base is an inert, insoluble preparation designed to deliver the flavors, sugars and sweeteners that make the product palatable. Gum base, which is mostly synthetic, is made of a combination of plastics, rubber or latex. Because gum base is insoluble, it cannot be digested and will pass through the digestive system in one piece within a few days of being swallowed.

The sugar substitutes sorbitol, mannitol or hexitol -- often found in sugar-free gums -- can cause diarrhea when they pass into the small intestine and colon in large amounts, as may occur if you swallow multiple pieces of gum in a short period of time. It's important to note that people who have irritable bowel syndrome, colitis or other intestinal ailments that could be aggravated by the bowel purging properties of the sugar substitutes should avoid sugar-free gum.

Given your grandson's age, keep in mind that the greatest harm associated with bubble gum may not be digestive in nature. For a 2-year-old, chewing bubble gum poses a significant risk of choking. Although most toddlers have a full set of teeth, their chewing and swallowing skills may still be immature. A rambunctious, running toddler could easily swallow and choke on a piece of bubble gum.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that more than 17,000 American children have choking episodes serious enough to send them to the emergency room every year, resulting in approximately 160 deaths. Children younger than age 1 are at highest risk, but choking can occur at any age. Foods are the most common cause of choking, with gum, hard candy, nuts and popcorn at the top of the list. Among nonfood items, coins, beads, balloons and small toy parts can also pose a choking hazard.

For safety's sake, it's best not to give hard candy or gum to children younger than age 5. While we hate to deny our children and grandchildren their favorite gum or candy, doing so may be the best way to keep them safe.





Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: ToolTroll]
    #4564206 -

ToolTroll said:
How many pieces are we talking about here?
And thanks for not spitting it onto the sidewalk.



No problem. About 4-7 pieces a night for about 5 nights or so.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: MOTH]
    #4564287 -

yea thats alot, that cant be good for you


where exactly does it hurt when you press, if its your appendix you are in for one hell of a ride


--------------------
Live every day like it is your first
or
Live every day like it is your last
My ArT!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: SerioOria]
    #4564296 -

Okay, it's my lower right hand side, parallel to my hip bone.

The pain has gotten increasingly worse and I am drinking some tea. Caffeine is a laxative so I hope it'll help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: MOTH]
    #4564309 -

you need to go to the doctor like as soon as you can, if it is seriously getting worse, i had my appendix taken out in 3rd grade

holy shit it sucked

http://www.charlieproductions.co.uk/pictures/Appendix/appendix.jpg

sry, that one was on a site, but u get the idea

its really bad if it ruptures and they dont get it out. infections and shit

my scar where they took it out is like half way between the right side of my bladder and the point of my hip bone.


symptoms/treatment


--------------------
Live every day like it is your first
or
Live every day like it is your last
My ArT!!

Edited by SerioOria (08/21/05 08:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: MOTH]
    #4564317 -

Why are you swallowing gum?

You're just swallowing a bunch of artificial flavors and chemicals.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: MOTH]
    #4564320 -

You're probably just ovulating. :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: adrug]
    #4564359 -

I'm pretty sure it isn't affecting my appendix. This is because I did a search on Google and haven't found anything that would lead me to believe this as an option. In fact, I even found a site that said no chewing gum has EVER been found in the appendix, so whew, I think I'm okay.

I bet it's just a stomach ache. It also could be because of my horrible diet lately. I will go twenty hours without much food or drink sometimes, and then suddenly eat a huge meal. My new job has kinda kept me busy. Earlier I ate a large meal of Indian food, just before the pains started. I took some tylenol and my hubby went to get pepto bismal.

I figure if I can eat sand (mm..long story) then I can eat anything.

Man, that Indian food was so good though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can gum kill you? [Re: MOTH]
    #4564365 -

i was told when I was younger that gum took 7 years to digest out of your stomach..I believed it until I was well into adulthood too, until I found out it was just a myth...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Denver Killing all the Pit Bulls!
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
TheFakeSunRa 10,738 115 05/16/14 02:40 AM
by Legend
* The chewing gum conspiracy
( 1 2 all )
Jon 2,719 22 12/26/05 10:13 AM
by TYL3R
* What's your favorite type of gum? MOTH 971 5 05/05/04 03:41 AM
by Krishna
* The Official Xanthan Gum thread.... SneezingPenis 1,391 16 10/10/05 11:07 PM
by ninetynine
* My back is KILLING me...any advice?
( 1 2 3 all )
MOTH 2,738 49 08/21/05 10:53 PM
by Todcasil
* If chewed gum could talk Captain Loafy McPoopdick 820 17 09/07/05 10:41 PM
by kingfish4200
* vegetarians are killing animals
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
XUL 11,103 82 06/09/05 08:02 AM
by looner2
* 15!!!!!! Children Killed by US Gov. in horrible travesty Spiffy 2,307 6 12/07/03 11:16 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,778 topic views. 3 members, 28 guests and 104 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.