Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Oyster Shell, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
down on the farm
    #4494068 - 08/04/05 09:23 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I have yet to try my hand in the cultivation O' shrooms.however it would seem that I already have many of the nessary item's here on my modest lil'farm.and my question is what type shroom spore would you folk's suggest for an individual with  unlimited cow and horse manure. millet,milow,rye and crank corn these grain are not unlimited but in good supply.also oyster shell for poultry.is there a preticular shroom or tek that these item's will work best with.I've been reading threw here for over a week and as of yet I am still doing research.and any tip's would be appericated :cool:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Suburbia
Re: down on the farm [Re: sheeple37]
    #4494085 - 08/04/05 09:35 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I'd start out by doing a search on some outdoor cultivation teks.  Read over them until you feel you could teach it to someone by memory.  Then select any strain you want, they're all cubensis and all generally easy to grow.  Seeing as you're growing outdoors you might want to try your hand at Pan Cyans or other nature loving species down the road.  Read up on pasteurizing the poo (there's teks for just about everything).  And lastly, come here when you have a question or are stuck on a step, ask the board...I've always had fast response time from very experienced people.  Welcome to the Shroomery!  :crazy2:

Edited by Newbie (08/04/05 09:36 AM)

The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: down on the farm [Re: Newbie]
    #4494100 - 08/04/05 09:45 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

look up grain substrates and outdoor cultivation

Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: down on the farm [Re: thenewguy05]
    #4494129 - 08/04/05 10:11 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Why only outdoors?

You've got all the main stuff. Now all you need is a PC and some quart jars, some vermiculite and some peat moss. There are many teks and FAQs here on the site, I suggest you click the FAQ link at the top of the page and start reading about bulk, spawning, and liquid cultures. You'll want to use a mix of about 45% millet, 40% milo, and 15% rye, then spawn that to horse poo. You could use just millet, just milo, or a mix of the two of those too, but I would add in some rye (check my How I Do Grain link for reasons why and how to prep both, WBS is mainly milo and millet)

You'll want weathered and dried horse poo thats been leached of the amonia and smells like nothing, follow a tek for pasteurizing it (grain gets sterilized in a PC, poo gets pasteurized) then you can mix in jars of colonized grain into the pasteurized poo, let that fully colonize. Then get yourself some peat and verm (chunky style) and mix about half and half, then add about 5% oyster shell flour, sterilize or pasteurize the casing mix (no nutes so anything works for casing mix) and when the poo is fully colonized, add the casing layer to the top, reincubate until mycelium starts poking up through the layer, then expose to fresh air, light, and a small temperature drop if possible, and do it while maintaining high humidity and your good to go.

Cow poo works ok, but you want the fluffy fiberous texture of horse poo with all that straw in its shit..I'd stick with straight horse poo at first, and probably for good, but you could maybe add a little cow poo (anywhere from 5-50%) to try and make sure the shrooms get all the nutes they like, but to find the perfect ratio for you would take some experimenting on your end and for now you'll want to just stick with the horse poo spawned from grain.

I'd also look into outdoor things, and making alot of outdoor piles since you have a whole farm but you can certainly use all of your stuff for indoor cultivation.

"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Mad Scientist

Loc: Central NY
Re: down on the farm [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4494218 - 08/04/05 10:56 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I agree with scatmanrav. I live next to a horse farm and so I had to try and spawn horse poo. Now I would never try it any other way. The humidification is automatic and the shrooms grow HUGE!! I have had excellent luck with the Amazonian Cubensis, but with what you have you might as well experiment ALOT. Good luck and have fun.

Bulk grower with "some" success.

Cloning Machine 
Nice Lids

A few pics of my DT setup

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Oyster Shell, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation