Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
is life long or short?
    #4459885 - 07/27/05 11:46 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

is life long or short?

every day is a new day, something new happens every day, there is such variety, i am beginning to think that life is long, even if there's never enough of it

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: is life long or short? [Re: crunchytoast]
    #4459893 - 07/27/05 11:53 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Long or short compared to what?

I've always thought everyone who says life is short says it because they don't remember 99.9% of it. If you don't remember 364 out of 365 days of a year, then that year will have flown by in the blink of an eye.

Though there's also the problem that all we ever experience is this life, so there's nothing else to base the length on. We can only compare life to life.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4459920 - 07/27/05 12:04 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

This, as with most (all) things, is entirely relative.

My life has been exceedingly long already...from the perspective of a house fly (lifespan: 24 hours).

My life has been nothing but a fleeting blink of the eye...from the perspective of the Sun (lifespan: 10 billion years).

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4459922 - 07/27/05 12:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

crunchytoast said:
is life long or short?

every day is a new day, something new happens every day, there is such variety, i am beginning to think that life is long, even if there's never enough of it

Life is exactly the correct length. :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: is life long or short? [Re: trendal]
    #4459929 - 07/27/05 12:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Relative to the most infinitessimally small measurement of the present moment, life is eternal.  Relative to the whole of eternity without boundry in time, life ends in the same instant that it begins.  Wow man... deep.  :rasta:

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Re: is life long or short? [Re: Ravus]
    #4459934 - 07/27/05 12:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, long or short is relative-

usually i feel like i dont have enough time, the days go by so quickly

lately it's been more like, every day is different, it all adds up in infinite variety, so life is long

Quote:

I've always thought everyone who says life is short says it because they don't remember 99.9% of it. If you don't remember 364 out of 365 days of a year, then that year will have flown by in the blink of an eye.

in the end we don't remember any of it, from this POV life would be point. reminds me of gomp's posts.

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Re: is life long or short? [Re: trendal]
    #4459940 - 07/27/05 12:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

housefly or sun-
maybe it has something to do with how fast you change
eternity or blink of an eye

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4459947 - 07/27/05 12:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

from Dynamics of Time and Space by Tarthang Tulku
When we lose contact with time, we have cut the dynamic central to our lives. . . . Subjectively, there is the sense that time is flickering, like a film not properly adjusted on its reel . . . . There is strain that goes nowhere. . . .

These structures are in place before consciousness fully forms. . . . they give rise to nervous agitation or uneasy pain . . . .

If the momentum of time's forward conducting persists, the agitation and its underlying 'flickering' intensify. Suddenly there is an abrupt break, as if the reel of film . . . had snapped. Everything freezes--movement vanishes. . . . Pain has been transformed into the fixed and rigid structures of linear time. Consciousness emerges into a temporal order in which time is a hostile force . . . . Time in its pastness grinds us down . . . feeding us the lifeless recordings of the past and the seductive fascinations of the future.

Caught in this fabricated past and future, we are divided against ourselves. Our knowledge and energy are spread across the linear length of the temporal order. Thus, when we set a goal, we assign a part of our constructed identity to that goal. Now it is as though a part of us was 'out there' in the future along with our projection, pinned against the temporal horizon of the present moment.

Increasingly confined, we find it deeply disturbing just to inhabit the successive moments of our lives. . . . The specific 'point' of time that we occupy lacks all capacity to hold time's dynamic. Life goes out of the present, drained away 'across' time.

We may respond by withdrawing into a dull numbness that has a quality almost like being shocked or stunned. . . . In our worn-out dullness, we are like a baby that has cried itself into exhausted sleep.

If we could awaken at this point to the feeling of pain, we would actually be close to the original dynamic of the time that we have lost. But this alternative is not available, for we are too closely identified with the pain. As 'I' merge with 'having the pain', I become the victim of what objectified time has presented. I possess the pain and am possessed by it; in this feedback I repossess it, tightening its hold. Awareness arises only in the wake of recognition, and so can lead only in the direction of further identification

This reminded me of a fact I learned in a college psych course about memory: the chemical markers which define our sense of time passing decline with age. This explains the sense that the year just "flies by" now, compared to my time sense as a child that a year was very long and full of memorable events.

Perhaps we cease to mark time because it has become painful to inhabit the moment?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom