Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
Evolution of consciousness / Spiral Dynamics
    #4687350 - 09/20/05 06:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I was reading Ken Wilber (arguably the greatest American philosopher/psychologist/theorist) and came across the idea of spiral dynamics (which he adopted from Clare Graves).

My first thought was along the lines of: how can someone take the idea of conciousness development/evolution and reduce it to a simple theory/system. It seems oversimplified and overgeneralized. Its almost similar to Eriksons theory of development yet far more detailed.

Yet I read on and now I'm quite impressed yet still perplexed.

So lets talk.

Here are some quotes I found on the Clare Graves website to get the ball rolling:

"At each stage of human existence the adult man is off on his quest of his holy grail, the way of life he seeks by which to live. At his first level he is on a quest for automatic physiological satisfaction. At the second level he seeks a safe mode of living, and this is followed in turn, by a search for heroic status, for power and glory, by a search for ultimate peace; a search for material pleasure, a search for affectionate relations, a search for respect of self, and a search for peace in an incomprehensible world. And, when he finds he will not find that peace, he will be off on his ninth level quest. As he sets off on each quest, he believes he will find the answer to his existence. Yet, much to his surprise and much to his dismay, he finds at every stage that the solution to existence is not the solution he has come to find. Every stage he reaches leaves him disconcerted and perplexed. It is simply that as he solves one set of human problems he finds a new set in their place. The quest he finds is never ending."

-- Dr. Clare W. Graves

"I am not saying in this conception of adult behavior that one style of being, one form of human existence is inevitably and in all circumstances superior to or better than another form of human existence, another style of being. What I am saying is that when one form of being is more congruent with the realities of existence, then it is the better form of living for those realities. And what I am saying is that when one form of existence ceases to be functional for the realities of existence then some other form, either higher or lower in the hierarchy, is the better form of living. I do suggest, however, and this I deeply believe is so, that for the overall welfare of total man's existence in this world, over the long run of time, higher levels are better than lower levels and that the prime good of any society's governing figures should be to promote human movement up the levels of human existence."

-- Dr. Clare W. Graves

www.spiraldynamics.com

www.clarewgraves.com

www.kenwilber.com

Edited by Buddha1 (09/20/05 06:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Evolution of consciousness / Spiral Dynamics [Re: Buddha1]
    #4687402 - 09/20/05 07:04 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"At each stage of human existence the adult man is off on his quest of his holy grail, the way of life he seeks by which to live. At his first level he is on a quest for automatic physiological satisfaction. At the second level he seeks a safe mode of living, and this is followed in turn, by a search for heroic status, for power and glory, by a search for ultimate peace; a search for material pleasure, a search for affectionate relations, a search for respect of self, and a search for peace in an incomprehensible world. And, when he finds he will not find that peace, he will be off on his ninth level quest. As he sets off on each quest, he believes he will find the answer to his existence. Yet, much to his surprise and much to his dismay, he finds at every stage that the solution to existence is not the solution he has come to find. Every stage he reaches leaves him disconcerted and perplexed. It is simply that as he solves one set of human problems he finds a new set in their place. The quest he finds is never ending."

I especially like this. I will say however that there has come a stage when I know that I will not find any answers to existence or to any question, because the questions are false. I started a thread on this earlier today. There is neither yes or no, but just life to be lived.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlineqhr0me
o = oo
Loc: sun diego, ca
Re: Evolution of consciousness / Spiral Dynamics [Re: Buddha1]
    #4690093 - 09/21/05 12:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

if you like this kind of mental masturbation, haul ass to tucson (april 3-8, 2oo6) for the science of consciousness conference. there will be some cutting edge psychedelics research presentations there as well. it's very cheap if you register as a student, all you have to do is send them a photoshopped student id with a mushroom on it or just say you're buddha's disciple, they're very lax about student registrations...

stay strong and don't get your qualia inverted!-)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies