Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hemp, The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
The way you present yourself
    #4581229 - 08/25/05 09:37 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

They say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but in my case, I try to make the cover a good representation of the book. These past couple years, I've been trying to figure out who I am. I feel like I've found myself now, and my current motivation is to try and express that to the world. I do that with clothes, jewelry, and tattoos. The way I dress is hard to classify, but it's certainly outside the mainstream. I like to wear baggy raver pants, a blue or black T-shirt, a spiked bracelet, a metal ring, a chain necklace, and a hemp choker. I also have my left ear and nipples pierced, as well as a tattoo on my back. I'm not sure exactly what image I'm trying to convey, but I know that when I dress the way I like to, I feel more like myself. Even the parts that are usually covered up, like my tattoo and nipple rings, make me feel more like who I am. My parents don't seem to understand my desire to dress the way I do, and I don't know how to explain it to them. It certainly has nothing to do with fitting in(my friends dress fairly normal). It's just about being myself. I often think about new things I can do to bring out my inner self. I plan on getting another tattoo in the next few months. There's something about decorating myself that's very deeply satisfying.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: The way you present yourself [Re: Silversoul]
    #4581258 - 08/25/05 09:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

People have been doing this for a long time. I guess it fills a need. Had a fair amount of tattoo work done at one time. I created a collage on my shoulders. The woman who did the work thought I was dumb to do it like I did. I had a hand in some of the designs. It told the story of my life. It had many of the symbols that had meaning for me. Now they are part of me. I look at myself in the mirror and I don't even notice them. Because I did it my way, I get a fair amount of complements on them. They are distinctly mine.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: The way you present yourself [Re: Icelander]
    #4581267 - 08/25/05 09:46 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
People have been doing this for a long time. I guess it fills a need. Had a fair amount of tattoo work done at one time. I created a collage on my shoulders. The woman who did the work thought I was dumb to do it like I did. I had a hand in some of the designs. It told the story of my life. It had many of the symbols that had meaning for me. Now they are part of me. I look at myself in the mirror and I don't even notice them. Because I did it my way, I get a fair amount of complements on them. They are distinctly mine.

I feel ya on that. I definitely could never get a flash tattoo. My tat is my own original design, and the same will be true of the next one. I've also thought about learning how to make my own clothes, so those can be original too.

--------------------

OfflineSerioOria
?!one#!>?

Loc: upstate, SC
    #4581451 - 08/25/05 10:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i think i might do that one day, design my own tatoo i mean

i dont think i could take anyone elses art on my body

and as you talk about clothes i am almost the opposite way (i dont try to fit in, not that opposite way) i dress very simply, usually only wearing jeans or regular shorts, and a white tshirt or a tshirt that mocks the society,or a shirt that has a band on it or something of that nature

i definately stay away from what other people wear, but if i like it myself i will not hesitate no matter who has it

honestly i find all these things as extra baggage, if i had it my way i wouldnt wear anything, but the cops get mad when i try that

--------------------
Live every day like it is your first
or
Live every day like it is your last
My ArT!!

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4581457 - 08/25/05 10:30 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

When I was younger I used to cultivate an image that was somwhere between Jesus and Jim Morrison. I had long hair, a tatoo, and dressed out of the main stream. I considered myself a nonconformist. Then I looked at all of my associates. They dressed out of the mainstream as well. Then I realised...I was merely conforming to another standard. I was a conformist in a big way. Then I decided to become an expression of only myself. I now have extremely short hair because it is easy to care for. I shave every day because a beard is a pain in the ass. I dress in a manner that I find comfortable. At work it's mostly khakis or blue jeans and a polo shirt. At home it is shorts and sandals. They are comfortable. I now do not consider myself a conformist because I wear whatever the hell is the most comfortable. I present a fairly conservative image. I realized that individualism is in the mind...clothes are just to cover your ass. They mean nothing. This often works to my advantage when people make incorrect assumptions about my nature.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: The way you present yourself [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4581500 - 08/25/05 10:40 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

They think you're a sweet guy! :whoa:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (08/25/05 10:41 PM)

Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4581533 - 08/25/05 10:45 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

hehe, by the sounds of it, you dress the same as my dad Hue. I used to think it was very uncool. I used to dress a little "extreme" till i realised that in doing so i was challenging what was considered normal and was really just conforming to that spectrum of normalacy. now like you Hue, i wear whatever is warm and comfortable.... OMG I'm turning into my dad! my world is crumbling down all around me.  :confused:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4581542 - 08/25/05 10:46 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Actually most people I meet seem to think that I am a stick in the mud with no humor or emotions. That is because if I let myself out even a little, soon I go over the top and become wild eyed and froth at the mouth while stammering incoherant things about LSD and open source software.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: The way you present yourself [Re: psychomime]
    #4581555 - 08/25/05 10:48 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

"OMG I'm turning into my dad! my world is crumbling down all around me"

It happens to us all eventually.

--------------------

Offlinefredyjenkins
Stranger
    #4581694 - 08/25/05 11:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

To me clothes are really a tool, and i really like them (the clothes).
I have lots of different piece of apparel of various styles and fashions. My point is, every moment and and every place have it's own uniform de rigeur. I dress relatively clean for school, a certain way for family gathering, on the wild side for a night out ect.

Of course, some things i will never wear. I dont like anything that looks feminine or makes me look like a misfit. And well, i cut my long hair recently in favor of a more conservative hairstyle. Out of a suddent i got a job twice the money/hour i use to have. Ummm coincidence...?

--------------------
-English is not my native language. So im not retarded, i'm just not very engligh articulate. Please forgive me for my bad writing! :wink: Thank you! :laugh:

OfflineDeviate
Re: The way you present yourself [Re: fredyjenkins]
    #4581769 - 08/25/05 11:40 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i just wear shorts and a t-shirt because that's what i find most comfortable. i have no desire to get any tattoos or anything like that because since i constantly change and transcend myself i'm sure that later on in my life i would think they were stupid.

Offlinefredyjenkins
Stranger
Re: The way you present yourself [Re: Deviate]
    #4581930 - 08/26/05 12:09 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Deviate said:
i just wear shorts and a t-shirt because that's what i find most comfortable. i have no desire to get any tattoos or anything like that because since i constantly change and transcend myself i'm sure that later on in my life i would think they were stupid.

I 100% with you on this!  :smile:

--------------------
-English is not my native language. So im not retarded, i'm just not very engligh articulate. Please forgive me for my bad writing! :wink: Thank you! :laugh:

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4582033 - 08/26/05 12:25 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
When I was younger I used to cultivate an image that was somwhere between Jesus and Jim Morrison. I had long hair, a tatoo, and dressed out of the main stream. I considered myself a nonconformist. Then I looked at all of my associates. They dressed out of the mainstream as well. Then I realised...I was merely conforming to another standard. I was a conformist in a big way. Then I decided to become an expression of only myself. I now have extremely short hair because it is easy to care for. I shave every day because a beard is a pain in the ass. I dress in a manner that I find comfortable. At work it's mostly khakis or blue jeans and a polo shirt. At home it is shorts and sandals. They are comfortable. I now do not consider myself a conformist because I wear whatever the hell is the most comfortable. I present a fairly conservative image. I realized that individualism is in the mind...clothes are just to cover your ass. They mean nothing. This often works to my advantage when people make incorrect assumptions about my nature.

It's not that I consciously try to be a noncomformist. I'm just the way I am, and I try to reflect that outwardly. I wouldn't care if everyone else dressed like I do. The point is that my appearance is meant to reflect my inner self. I have long hair not because society shuns it, but because I feel more natural that way. It's the same with the way I dress, and with the tattoo and piercings. Speaking of which, my parents just found out about those things tonight, and my dad proved once and for all that he just doesn't understand.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4582090 - 08/26/05 12:36 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Eh, dress how you please. Myself, I'll go the humble route - no jewelry, no tats, and no piercings. I'd not have them even if I could afford them. And I wear what's comfortable to me.....

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: The way you present yourself [Re: fredyjenkins]
    #4582096 - 08/26/05 12:36 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I'm the same as you Hue! Accept that I never dressed wierd. I always hung out with the punks and the skaters and the "goth" kids (which, at my highschool were collectively called "freaks", but in a good way). But I could never get the courage to actually dawn a spiked braclet, or peirce my face up like all my friends. Not because I was too self conscious to express myself, but because I felt that if I did dress like that I'd be putting on an act!

That's not who I am! I just where khakis and earth tones! But I did develop my own style: I would always wear these shorts that were way too long and baggy! They were almost pants they were so long! Then I'd always wear button up shirts or real ratty shit that I found in the back of my closet. All my clothes were years old and looked like shit, holes and stains and shit. I didn't care, I felt good about it because I was getting the most use out of them, and didn't conform by buying new clothes every fashion season! Then I grew my hair out real long and it got really fuckin curly! I started out with a shaved head, and dyed it bleach blonde. And as my hair grew out the blonde made these cool swirls and patterns. I didn't get my hair cut for over a year, and when it was al the way down to my shoulders I still had the blond tips, but they had mad split ends and looked like shit! LOL! Then I'd always go around talking about serial killers and my latest psychedelic experiance... I was quite a trip!

I also wore these glasses that had real round frames and were just black. So when my hair was short I looked like Waldo. And when I started wearing contacts, grew my hair out, and dressed like a vagabond I looked like jesus!

But yeah, I think that to a degree, it IS possible to judge a book by it's cover! If we didn't judge things by our first impression of them then we wouldn't be able to survive!

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: The way you present yourself [Re: dr0mni]
    #4582109 - 08/26/05 12:40 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

dr0mni said:
Yeah, I'm the same as you Hue! Accept that I never dressed wierd. I always hung out with the punks and the skaters and the "goth" kids (which, at my highschool were collectively called "freaks", but in a good way). But I could never get the courage to actually dawn a spiked braclet, or peirce my face up like all my friends. Not because I was too self conscious to express myself, but because I felt that if I did dress like that I'd be putting on an act!

See, it's pretty much the opposite for me. My friends dress in regular clothes, and I'm the "freak" in the group. But when I put on khakis and a collared shirt, that's when I feel like I'm putting on an act. That's just not who I am. And if I can get away with it, I'm never cutting my hair again.

--------------------

Offlinenunciate
Cold and Indifferent
Male User Gallery

Loc: Edge of the World
    #4582148 - 08/26/05 12:45 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Paradigm, I know you are a nice guy and I mean only a little offense by this:

It's the year 200[5] and nobody knows what's cool anymore! Drift aimlessly from one social trend to the next as you eventually find yourself converging to the ultra-hip world of box-framed glasses and studded belts known as "EMO." You have dyed-black hair that is engineered to look messy, but it's not spikey enough to be punk. You wear a skin-tight v-neck argyle sweater and black converse shoes--an amalgamation of old and new. You are a walking paradox. You are EMO.

You're not bound by the confines of traditional denominational religions, yet you're not confident enough to have an independent thought in that thick, vacuous skull of yours, so you dabble in trendy philosophies like Kabbalah and tribal mysticism.

taken from http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=video_games

just be you, man. classification is for observers.

--------------------
I am the devil and I am just like you

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #4582211 - 08/26/05 12:56 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
I feel like I've found myself now, and my current motivation is to try and express that to the world.  I do that with clothes, jewelry, and tattoos. 

Personally, I think that one's physical appearance is an extremely limited medium through which to express the essence of someone, and that there simply isn't any real concept or insight that is being conveyed in doing so.

If you are holding onto some self-definition of who you are, and you feel the need to display it and whore it out to the world (;)), then perhaps you might funnel all that energy into the manners in which you are actually interacting with others, as in, your personality, and your actions (what you concern yourself with).

The way one presents themself is more of the result of the totality of the person, rather than a conscious choice to make themselves appear this or that way. Instead of deciding who you are and trying to convince others, it might be more fruitful and rewarding to focus inward on one's experience of life and allow for yourself to continously change and take on valuable meaning. How that is presented to others will happen naturally as a result.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: The way you present yourself [Re: fireworks_god]
    #4582239 - 08/26/05 01:00 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I see my body as a canvas. My manner of dress is an art form for me, and art is a means of expressing the inexpressible.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4582270 - 08/26/05 01:05 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Because I did it my way...

Is that you, Frank?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Hemp, The Doors

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology