Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: Cannibalism [Re: trendal]
    #4437409 -

How long could one go in Arctic conditions without starving do you think?

I haven't seen Alive so I don't know how Arctic you're talking about. One could eat mosses and barks for a few weeks to survive and work towards relocating somewhere more suitable. Finding nourishment elsewhere would be my first instinct. I'd probably be dead in the snow miles away while the others were eating each other  :doh:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: Organic]
    #4437411 -

ever read stranger in a strange land?

it woudl be a growing closer :wink:

:heart:

yum!


--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.


~Casil



:cactus:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: HarryFlashmanVC]
    #4437412 -

I really don't know, I'll have to wait and see when I crash. I'm sure when my body goes into enough shock and my bio survival circuit kicks in it might seem a lot more tempting than now, but then again it all depends, who knows, maybe my shock would just put me in a acatatonic state, and I would be the one that got eaten. Being in that situation would effect everyone different. I just can't say.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: Todcasil]
    #4437430 -

After reading the description of Stranger in a Strange Land, I'll be reading it soon. Sounds really interesting :smile:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: trendal]
    #4437434 -

In the end you're only really prolonging death anyway if its some sort of famine. I'd rather just waste away, and go in a dignified manner, or go hunt/gather rather than relying on the most convenient source of food. Or if it was a situation like alive I wouldn't be a pussy and wait for rescue, I'd actually try to make it to an area where I could either survive off the land or get to civilization. Cannibablism is for the weak.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: trendal]
    #4437437 -

Cannabalism is just another way to recycle!  :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4437442 -

a bit of pesto sauce, maby a salad... a glass of wine.


--------------------
Mindzpores words of wisdom:
"If you think something is foolproof, you just haven't met proper fools".

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"It is better to adjust to become a better listener than to keep on cranking up the volume".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: Organic]
    #4437449 -

Organic said:
After reading the description of Stranger in a Strange Land, I'll be reading it soon. Sounds really interesting :smile:



That is my absolute favorite book! i highly recomend the unedited version as it adds something like 200,000 words ( i think its more actually)..

but the original story and the mass marketed story arre two completly different beasts, and Heinleins original version is (of course) the more superior view on the human condition.

peace!

:heart:


--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.


~Casil



:cactus:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: Organic]
    #4437456 -

In the movie they crash in the arctic...like nothing but snow and ice for hundreds and hundreds of miles.


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: Twister]
    #4437458 -

Or if it was a situation like alive I wouldn't be a pussy and wait for rescue, I'd actually try to make it to an area where I could either survive off the land or get to civilization. Cannibablism is for the weak.

Um...isn't that what they did, in the movie? Try to move around to find rescue?

Because I'm really sure you could hike 200 miles through nothing but snow and ice with no food, then be able to set up a life for yourself in the tundra at the end of your 200 mile hike :rolleyes:


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: Todcasil]
    #4437467 -

Thanks man, I was wondering which one to pick up.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: trendal]
    #4437469 -

I bet people are pretty tasty.

Yum yum.


--------------------
Now go Home.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: trendal]
    #4437470 -

Why were they flying over the arctic? I guess I have a hard time picturing myself flying over & crashing in barren polar tundra.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: Todcasil]
    #4437476 -

I thought Alive was about the soccer team that was in a plane crash in the Andes, but I guess I was mistaken. Anyways, I guess if I was in the Arctic what I would do would be to take the clothing of the dead, bundle myself up and walk south. At night I would fashion some sort of snow shelter for warmth. There are still things that live in the Arctic, so, being resourceful, I would try to survive off the land. With a defeatist attitude you're probably gonna die anyway so what would even be the point of eating human flesh. So i still stand by my resolution not to resort to cannabilism.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: Twister]
    #4437484 -

Who said I have a defeatist attitude?

The whole point of resorting to cannibalism is the idea that one would be willing to go to any extreme in order to survive.

That's not a defeatist attitude, that's a realistic attitude.


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: Organic]
    #4437487 -

Organic said:
Why were they flying over the arctic? I guess I have a hard time picturing myself flying over & crashing in barren polar tundra.



I think alive was actually about a soccer team that was flying over the Andes and crashed. Instead of sending out people to look for help initially, they just sat back, ate their buddies and waited to be rescued. After a while they realized that nobody would find them so they sent the strongest people out to find help, which they did. The problem I have with their method was that instead of just sending people out initially, when they would have been the strongest, they waited until later when everyone would have been physically dwindling. I stand by my statement that cannabilism is for the weak, both of mind and body.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: Twister]
    #4437488 -

No actually you're right, Alive was about the rugby team that crashed in the Andes. It's been years since I've seen the whole movie.

That doesn't change the concept much, though, as I'm sure most parts of the Andes are just as remote/isolated as the arctic is.

I just wanted to use it as an example of where cannibalism without murder could be an option for survival.


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: trendal]
    #4437504 -

trendal said:
No actually you're right, Alive was about the rugby team that crashed in the Andes. It's been years since I've seen the whole movie.

That doesn't change the concept much, though, as I'm sure most parts of the Andes are just as remote/isolated as the arctic is.

I just wanted to use it as an example of where cannibalism without murder could be an option for survival.



The people involved in the crash acted in a terrible manner in my opinion. The fact that the people that went for help found it shows that it really wasn't as terrible a situation as they thought. In my opinion they had a pessimistic attitude, bordering on defeatist. My point is that there is usually a way out of a situation other than the easiest one, in this case cannibalism.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: trendal]
    #4438845 -

Ever since reading "Stranger In a Strange Land" I have a romanticised view of canibalism. I would like to be eaten by friends and family when I die.


--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cannibalism [Re: trendal]
    #4438859 -

Does there have to be a famine or life or death situation? I'd just do it if I wouldn't get charged with a murder. I would have to cook it, though, and some parts I bet are real tough meat.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* should we let shell drill in the arctic?
( 1 2 3 all )
JT 2,903 42 04/25/11 09:15 PM
by blazenn
* Cannibalism
( 1 2 3 all )
PreparationH 3,431 48 10/24/11 06:04 PM
by limestoneman
* Another Russian Scientist: Arctic Is Cooling LobsterSauceDiscord 1,150 18 04/30/10 11:23 AM
by mongo lloyd
* confessional of a killer/cannibal Pierre 1,093 9 09/24/05 12:08 AM
by mytymyc
* Pris 1, as far as defeatists go. Amanita86 415 7 12/09/12 09:28 PM
by EllisDSox
* How do people who work low-paying jobs survive?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
RandalFlagg 7,632 109 06/15/07 04:32 AM
by FellowGrower
* WOW! Swedish super human twins - get hit by arctic lorry then get up and attack police nice1 1,112 14 10/31/11 03:04 PM
by You Agree
* How do the Occupy Wallstreet guys survive?
( 1 2 all )
Almond Flour 1,532 20 11/15/11 09:54 PM
by Yacub

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,589 topic views. 7 members, 225 guests and 100 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.