Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejebus2000
Son of God

Loc: Canada
Log of Second attempt at casing rye (PICS)
    #442118 - 10/30/01 03:55 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I am back from vacation and ready to start posting again..

After the semi-failure of my first attempt at casing which can be seen at...
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=403020&fpart=1
...and after taking a few weeks off, I am now back to posting and have entered into round two of casing.

If you are familiar with the post above you will note the changes I have made this time. The biggest being, my use of coir and NOT using compost.

All of my rye grain was inoculated using what I call "clone water ", and the process I used is explained in detail at...
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=395318&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1 http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=395318&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1[/url]

I cased the rye as follows:

Using a rubbermaid container, I covered it's bottom with colonized rye grain, using the jar to break up any clumps.

I then covered the rye with sterilized cow manure, about 1 1/2 inces thick and then cased using coir (co-co fiber).

I then covered the container using saran qucik wraps and put in in a warm dark place for the next 12 days.

Once the casing was about 60% colonized I moved all four trays into the terrariums. I have a perlite layer in the bottom and use a h202 bubbler.
Another pic of day 1 in the terrarium.

These picture (taken this morning) are after 4 days in the terrarium. Vegitative growth continues, but has slowed. I expect to have pins in another 3-4 days.

While taking these pictures I noticed a smallish mushroom growing on the side of one of the trays.
It is the only one there, while the other trays have no pins (which I consider normal at this stage). I read somthing about what it means when shrooms grow along the edge of the tray and if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

As always, thank-you for your time and input from all is welcome and encouraged.

--------------------
Cheers,

A BIG thanks to the Sporelab for hosting The Jebus Dehydrator Tek http://www.sporelab.com/jebus200.htm
Contact [email]helpmejebus@hotmail.com[/email]

Edited by jebus2000 (10/30/01 07:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOsh_Kosh_BGosh
journeyman

Re: Log of Second attempt at casing rye (PICS) [Re: jebus2000]
    #442275 - 10/30/01 06:19 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

typically when you only have shrooms growin on the sides of the casing you have overlay... a condition when the mycelium has been allowed to fully colonize the surface without exposure to light. The top layer then serves as a reservoir for water and matted mycelium

Invisibletriptor

Loc: Confussion
Re: Log of Second attempt at casing rye (PICS) [Re: Osh_Kosh_BGosh]
    #442359 - 10/30/01 07:24 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Did you ever see that Simpsons when Homer becomes a missionary. I almost busted a gut when he kept saying Jebus help me Jebus.

--------------------
Zippity freakin doo dah

Offlinejebus2000
Son of God

Re: Log of Second attempt at casing rye (PICS) [Re: triptor]
    #442364 - 10/30/01 07:28 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

That is my fav. episode and was the inspiration for my name.

--------------------
Cheers,

A BIG thanks to the Sporelab for hosting The Jebus Dehydrator Tek http://www.sporelab.com/jebus200.htm

Offlineoptikal_trip
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto
    #442426 - 10/30/01 08:16 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

your setup scares me.. i have the same rubbermaid container with the same weather stripping (or at least it looks like it.. is labled as "heavy duty"?) with the glass on top.. is it plexi glass?

--------------------
They chopped her goddam head off right there in the parking lot. Then they cut all kinds of holes in her head and sucked the blood out. I think they were after the pineal gland.

Offlinejebus2000
Son of God

Re: Log of Second attempt at casing rye (PICS) [Re: optikal_trip]
    #442444 - 10/30/01 08:41 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

It is 1/4 inch glass and yes it is heavy duty weather stripping...creapy! Post some pics of your set-up and I better not catch you taken pics in my closet LOL.

--------------------
Cheers,

Invisiblenishikkiknee
journeyman
    #442550 - 10/30/01 10:20 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

hey dude,
my gorilla buddy used to have the shroom on the side of the casing thing going on too, then he figured out that the casing layer had gotten matted down from misting( to heavy all at once) then he started misting like a can of spray paint's instructions__ two thin coats are better than one heavy one.
basically, i think it was pusle who said " mist it so its like the morning dew" and he aint had that problem since that.

InvisibleNDK
Re: Log of Second attempt at casing rye (PICS) [Re: nishikkiknee]
    #442767 - 10/31/01 02:20 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

There doesn't appear to be much thickness of rye there compared to the thickness of casing. I'd be a bit concerned that 1.5 inches of casing on top of that would be too much, but you'll have to wait and see.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Log of Second attempt at casing rye (PICS) [Re: NDK]
    #442796 - 10/31/01 03:34 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

>There doesn't appear to be much thicknes
Yeah. You want 2-3 inches substate and 1/2 inch casing. At least thats what I do.

Offlinejebus2000
Son of God

Re: Log of Second attempt at casing rye (PICS) [Re: Anno]
    #442941 - 10/31/01 09:10 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I use 1.5-2.0 inches of manure and cased with an inch of coir. I think that this is thick enough....no?
I did not mix the colonized rye with the manure this time, simply placed the sterilized manure on top. I took longer to colonize this time, but there is also much ore material to colonize.

--------------------
Cheers,

Offlinedoctor_evil
Stranger

Loc: canada
    #454863 - 11/11/01 10:56 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

huummm... just off the top of my head, you might have mushroom grouth at the sides because your containers seem to be light of colour, and thus let light in to the sides. so the mushrooms are growing there first, since that is where they first got a peek at the light.

but that is only a guess to try and help out a fellow Canadian!
(we are the same as americains, just a little COOLER!!!) LOL

p.s. it is now 2 weeks later... how did it pan out in the end?? did you get anything??!

--------------------
I'll get your shroom's... POWERS!!!

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

Re: Log of Second attempt at casing rye (PICS) [Re: Anno]
    #454880 - 11/11/01 11:30 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Log of Second attempt at casing rye (PICS) [Re: ralphster44]
    #454938 - 11/11/01 12:39 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I'd also like to think that you're waiting to long to induce light, 60% seems to be to much cover, from what it looks like to me 20% is about all you want. any more and the top casing layer serves no purpose....am I right or wrong?

InvisibleTCatz
Manic
Re: Log of Second attempt at casing rye (PICS) [Re: doctor_evil]
    #454944 - 11/11/01 12:52 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

as long as you dont start having a bunch start growing up the side your alright,
light , overlay
and to dry a casing or a combination of these things will cause the side growths

--------------------
Flying in a Blue Dream

Edited by TCatz (11/11/01 12:57 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract