Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegarret
Stranger
What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide?
    #4327604 - 06/23/05 04:55 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Question says it all...

I use the stuff sparingly, but am I missing something? So far if you don't fuck up... there is no need till the end of the run and you want to keep the last going till the run dies.

That's been my use so far... If I get Trich early on I bail... What about you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: garret]
    #4328203 - 06/23/05 11:14 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

add it to ultrasonic water reservoirs and kiss the blooms goodbye (combined with filtered water means 0 cleaning)

add to your mist bottle for the same reason.

basically, if your storing water toss some h2o2 in.

for agar/chunk transfers a quick dunk in h2o2 prior to the actual transfer can prevent cross-contamination.

not to mention peroxidated agar.

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: debianlinux]
    #4329190 - 06/23/05 04:01 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

h202 i hear will hurt the mycelium contams can be avoided if u have good air exchange.

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #4330328 - 06/23/05 08:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

it works well for cleaning out wounds. I used it on a finger nail that i cut open to help it drain. yes that is a hole in my nail

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia Flag
Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: tahoe]
    #4330700 - 06/23/05 10:42 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

^^^ ouch

InvisibleShaw

Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: garret]
    #4383229 - 07/08/05 08:59 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

the idea is that peroxide kills spores but not fungal colonies. once the spores germinate and what not, they can resist peroxide, whearher contam or mushroom.

--------------------

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Loc: Reject the concept of loc...
Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: Shaw]
    #4383603 - 07/08/05 11:19 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

at higher concentrations h2o2 is a very efficient desinfectant. for example: many hospitals in poor countries use it to clean their suregery rooms.

if a concentration of 15-20% is sprayed on a surface and left for 20 minutes, it will be clean enough to do surgery on. even a somewhat grimy surface will be sterilized with slightly higher concentration (20-25%) and time (30 min) this is unusual as most desinfectants require the surface to be clean prior to sterilization. (remember this next time you do home surgery).
:samurai:

so its a very efficient desinfectant and will kill both spores and myc at high concentrations. however (as most here know) at low levels of h2o2 (0.2-0.4%) the myc can handle it but most spores can not.

also, as it kills by oxidation it can be used to sterilize outsides of fruitbodies while the inside remains viable for cloning.

another thing is that larger colonies of myc can handle more h2o2. and even if the h2o2 should kill the outer layers of the myc the centre will survive and grow back. thus one can kill some contaminants by using a strong spray of h2o2 (repetedly). this will of course damages the myc a little but maby that is better than losing it alltogether.

--------------------
Mindzpores words of wisdom:
"If you think something is foolproof, you just haven't met proper fools".

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"It is better to adjust to become a better listener than to keep on cranking up the volume".

Edited by Mindzpore (07/08/05 11:24 AM)

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? *DELETED* [Re: Mindzpore]
    #4390893 - 07/10/05 09:32 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by laughingdog

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: laughingdog]
    #4391952 - 07/11/05 10:06 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

hmm... that is really cool. thanks for the tip.

--------------------

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"It is better to adjust to become a better listener than to keep on cranking up the volume".

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #4413496 - 07/16/05 11:47 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

GNIOM1498 said:
h202 i hear will hurt the mycelium contams can be avoided if u have good air exchange.

Very good advice there GNIOM. Bleach at a ratio of 1:200 with H20 is far superior than any H202. H202 uses in agar mediums or spray bottles are useless due to the fact that UV rays break the antiseptic down within a matter of hours unless the H202 is in a light resistent container. After the antiseptics have been degrated in 3% H202, a film of minerals and other aids for healing are left behind for bacteria to enjoy. 3% H202 is only good for cobweb mold IMO. Food grade H202 on the other hand is a different story.

Edited by hotnutz (07/17/05 12:06 AM)

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4413778 - 07/17/05 12:53 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

hotnutz said:
H202 uses in agar mediums or spray bottles are useless due to the fact that UV rays break the antiseptic down within a matter of hours unless the H202 is in a light resistent container.

While light (not just UV) does increase the H2O2 decomposition rate, your statement is just not true...

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: Pinback]
    #4413866 - 07/17/05 01:23 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Wrong! My statement is very true indeed. See the facts on different types of H202 for yourself. I'm finished battling with people with no ground to stand on, especially the ones that don't do the research.

http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/HydrogenPeroxide.html

Edited by hotnutz (07/17/05 07:34 AM)

Offlinebeyondsisxth
Title?
Male User Gallery

#4415052 - 07/17/05 02:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

That article was very interesting on H202's uses with cancer cells when taken internally, but I didn't see anything that had to do with light degredation and H202, or its ineffectiveness when being used for other non-cancer purposes. I'm not being sarcastic I'm honestly just looking for an article that elucidates the whole matter here, cause that didn't do it for me.

Also, whats so hard about an opaque container...

--------------------
The sun was pulling cheap shots doing commercial body tricks, Behind the back, Under the leg, I think he even did a headspin, On a crossfader that sounded whack, But looked excellent, All of the sudden it gets dim, The crater face steps in, Puts mexican drumbreaks on the Technics, He's like "Let's begin", He conducted an orchestra so dope the sun started sweatin' him, I guess he'd expected to win on pure artistic merit, Composing complex plays with nothin but soundbytes, Burned out the lights, Made MCs too self conscious quit the master mics, For a thousand nights, It continued without a single slip up, Except once the record skipped, But it kinda sounded cool.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: beyondsisxth]
    #4416748 - 07/17/05 09:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Also, whats so hard about an opaque container...

Hydrogen is easily broken down from UV's. That's why the container is dark brown colored. You've never seen a clear bottle of H202 have you? That's why. Even NASA has difficulties with the storage of hydrogen fuel for these reasons, among others. Temperature and a steady, non vibrational enviroment are others. It's a very unstable molecule.

Edited by hotnutz (07/17/05 09:44 PM)

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #4417911 - 07/18/05 03:50 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Perhaps you did not understand my objection. Noone is saying that H2O2 is stable to all environmental factors, but to say that the addition of H2O2 in agar is useless because it is broken down in a few hours is a great overstatement. Do a side-by-side comparison of ("a few hours" old) agar with and without H2O2 if you want to see for yourself. Just take the lids of the petri dishes and leave them in open air for a minute. Check which one has the most contaminant growth.

By the way,
* it's H2O2, or H2O2 if you're lazy, not H202. That is an "O" for oxygen, not a zero.
* "hydrogen" and "hydrogen peroxide" are not interchangeable terms, but maybe you just mistyped in your last post.
* the URL you posted has nothing to do with the matter.
* and the author of that page is a serious nut who claims to have disproven the theory of relativity, photons, and evolution (among other preposterous claims). You may want to check the sources of what you read.

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: Pinback]
    #4418064 - 07/18/05 05:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

dood! that site is just soooo wrong in so many ways i cant begin to count them. the author seems to think that there is a difference between diluting 35% ("food grade") h2o2 and using an already diluted one.... thats just preposterous.

As has been previously stated in another thread h2o2 is NOT good for your body. there are a lot of crazy newage ideas about it giving your body "extra oxygen" (i have even heard about people giving themselves enemas with h2o2). but the big thing that they in their ignorance are missing out on, is that you DO NOT want free oxygen in your bloodstream. you only want the oxygen that has been attached to the red blood corpuscles. if not.. they may cause damage to your cells and even GIVE you cancer.

--------------------

Wiccan_Seeker said:

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: Mindzpore]
    #4418078 - 07/18/05 05:50 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

further, the notion that h2o2 breaks down in few hours is pure undiluted BS. it will take days if not weeks. also the degradation rate of h2o2 is relative to its concentration. ie. a higher concentration is more stable than a lower concentration.

if you do not believe this, i challenge you to do this test.

take 10 cc of 30%-35% h2o2, put it in a shot glass. leave it on your windowsill for a few days to a week (that should be enough light of all wavelenghts). then sit down and dip your finger in it. see if you can keep your finger in it for 10 minutes without screaming from pain. i guarantee that you can not.

--------------------

Wiccan_Seeker said:

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

#4418089 - 07/18/05 06:03 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

hotnutz said:
uses in agar mediums or spray bottles are useless due to the fact that UV rays break the antiseptic down within a matter of hours unless the H202 is in a light resistent container. After the antiseptics have been degrated in 3% ....

well, i just cant stop raining on your parade, my h2o2 bottle, which sits in my window. has a concentration around 0.6%-0.8%. it has been there for about four days now.

now lets make another simple test, lets use it somewhere where there should be some bacteria to oxidize.
i suggest my (or any) bathroom. a quick spraying of wall tiles and floor immediately results in a hissing sound, and soon the liquid turns white. this i contend is a strong suggestion that bacteria is being oxidized by the h2o2 from my spray bottle.

--------------------

Wiccan_Seeker said:

Offlinelardnar
Pu Pu Platter
Male

Loc: Behind what appears
Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: Mindzpore]
    #4418309 - 07/18/05 08:49 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I used to work for the company that developed Hydrogen Peroxide and am still in frequent contact

--------------------
If your soul is sence this life is lost ...

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is an effective use of Hydrogen Peroxide? [Re: lardnar]
    #4418331 - 07/18/05 09:03 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I agree very much with everything Mind is stating. I have always thought that while hotnutz isnt a bad grower and has some god info in almost all areas, he's always had something against peroxide and has held onto some things that just arent correct about it. I've done testing with 35% and 3% and I would agree with everything Mindz said, but thats just IMO..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract