Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepuwtrip
spirit molecule

Unsteralized Peroxide Growing
    #4089432 - 04/23/05 06:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I know some have discussed this technique, which I assume is the same one as that devised by the "Peroxide Man", but have not seen instructions for it. If it helps anyone, here it is, got it from: http://www.wildmushrooms.org/frames/oms_peroxide.htm

Quote:

Growing edible mushrooms can be fun. Here is a new method that can be simpler for the home grower than other traditional methods. It uses hydrogen peroxide to prepare a stove pellet growing meduim. This method was demonstrated at the Oregon Mycological Society Spring Foray 2000 in central Oregon by Ed Foy.

* Put 1 quart of stove pellets in a small, clear plastic bag, made to hold between 2-4 gallons, about .5 (point five) MIL thick.

* Fill 2 cooking pots with 3-1/2 cups each of water (7 cups total). Cover, bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat, remove both pots after 1 minute.

* Pour contents of one pot into the bag of pellets. Close bag loosely. Wait for everything to cool before proceding. The moistened stove pellets will have expanded to more than 4 times their original volume.

* Add to the bag 1 tablespoon hydrated lime (Ca(OH)2) or 2 tablespoons of limestone flour (CaCO3). You may also substitute a teaspoon of granular or powdered gypsum for a teaspoon of either lime, as I do. Gypsum is reputed to force faster fruitings. All of this is to adjust the PH for best results. Next, you may add a nitrogen supplement. It should give you more mushrooms, but how will you ever know? Dr. Wayne of Eugene, the Peroxide Man, states in his manual that you can use your own urine, since it has lots of nitrogen. I prefer dried non-fat milk. Add 2-3 tablespoons to the bag.

* When the second pot of boiled water has cooled to room temperature, lift the cover and stir in 2 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, available at all drug stores and markets (the brand name is not important). Now, pour the water/hydrogen peroxide mixture into the bag. Again, close the bag loosely and allow it to cool to room temperature.

* Finally, open the bag and mix in about a pint of spawn. You should gently knead and turn the bag to insure thorough mixing. Be sure that you have control of the process and that the bag is tightly closed. A spill at this point could be disasterous. You can close the bag with a twist tie and put it in its container.

* Keep it at room temperature, in the dark or out of direct sunlight. In a couple of weeks you should notice through the thin wall that the substrate is beginning to turn white. If still in the dark, move the bag to a place with enough light to read by.

* Watch for bumps, or primordia, to appear. When they do, open the bag, encourage air flow, spritz the block once or twice a day with light water mist. Cover with a humidity tent of some kind, if possible.

* When mushrooms reach full size, like an upturned hand for P. eryngii, cut and enjoy!

Note: The block may fruit again after soaking for a few hours in clean water if it has not begun to fall apart. Also, it is easier to do all of the mixing in a clean bucket and then fill 4-5 bags if you want that many fruitings. You will need about 2 quarts of spawn.

Now, I know that since this uses wood pellets, it wouldn't work with grain loving shrooms, but there are Psilocybin species that will grow on wood substrates. Anyone tried this with results to share?

I'd be interested to know where the peroxide/water solution goes? Is it absorbed by the pellets or shrooms, or evaporated? It would seem like there is too much water in the bag. What are acceptable levels of water content for mushrooms to grow in?

Also, to note, I beleive the reason stove pellets are used is that they are heat treated/pasturized to an extent.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewhitefrost123
Stranger
Re: Unsteralized Peroxide Growing [Re: puwtrip]
    #4092212 - 04/24/05 04:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i case with mushroom compost from greenhouse supply i just mix a lil peroxide in water to saturate the composte and vermiculite in garbage bag the first ime i did it i saw no contams untill it produced started producing minimal amounts and it was only green mold. this time i did it made alot at once , casing mix and i diddent mix it good enough with perox/watermix and it contamed like hell on surface any way so i burn it off with a torch .green mold agin i ate the shrooms no probs not sick or anything i diddent put enough water in garbage bag u want it to be like mud so every thing is mixed good than drain it off . i am experimenting with hydrated lime soaked straw now kep this alive and i will let u know if it gos t

Offlinehortguy
Stranger
    #4135067 - 05/04/05 09:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

For the most information on this technique I suggest buying the manual written by "Peroxide Man" himself otherwise known as Dr. Rush Wayne. His website is www.mycomasters.com, and you can download it from there after purchasing. As to where the water/ peroxide goes, it is entirely absorbed by the wood pellets, which is why they will swell to 4 times normal size as stated in the directions posted. The moisture content has been accounted for and the amount of water added is correct. The pellets themselves are made up of wood sawdust that has been compressed into pellets and heat treated, which serves 2 purposes in this tek. The heat treatment kills most of the pathogens present in the pellets and it destroys all the enzymes that naturally occur in the wood that would break down the peroxide. Without the heat treatment, the enzymes in the wood would decompose the peroxide immediately, rendering it completely useless. Psilocybes that grow on wood are difficult to cultivate as it is, and I've never heard of anyone using this tek to grow them, but if you feel compelled to experiment, just remember that failure is probably likely until you go through the whole trial and error process. That said, I wouldn't recommend putting all your stock into this tek, but it could definitely be fun to mess around with.

PS- Peroxide won't work with compost, there are high amounts of peroxide decomposing enzymes present. Its easy to test whether or not somethign has peroxide decomposing enzymes in it: submerge some of the desired substrate in peroxide and observe it for an hour or so, if bubbles form, you are out of luck, and peroxide won't work with that substrate.

Edited by hortguy (05/04/05 09:58 PM)

Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

Re: Unsteralized Peroxide Growing [Re: whitefrost123]
    #4145643 - 05/07/05 10:39 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

whitefrost123 said:
i case with mushroom compost from greenhouse supply i just mix a lil peroxide in water to saturate the composte and vermiculite in garbage bag the first ime i did it i saw no contams untill it produced started producing minimal amounts and it was only green mold. this time i did it made alot at once , casing mix and i diddent mix it good enough with perox/watermix and it contamed like hell on surface any way so i burn it off with a torch .green mold agin i ate the shrooms no probs not sick or anything i diddent put enough water in garbage bag u want it to be like mud so every thing is mixed good than drain it off . i am experimenting with hydrated lime soaked straw now kep this alive and i will let u know if it gos t

:what:

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Unsteralized Peroxide Growing [Re: psilocyben]
    #4154772 - 05/09/05 07:37 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

we try to discourage posting while under the influence of methamphetamines

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
Re: Unsteralized Peroxide Growing [Re: debianlinux]
    #4157027 - 05/10/05 10:47 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

How about

"we try to discourage living life under the influence of methamphetamines"

IMO.. meth is the trashy man's drug. If you look at a person that's been doing meth for a while, and say "HEY! That drug looks fun! Look @ him, he looks fine!"... you're a trashball.

Just my .02c

Sam

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

OfflineSnarp
Stranger
Re: Unsteralized Peroxide Growing [Re: Sammy]
    #4158853 - 05/10/05 06:40 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Funny: someone asked about this a while ago and I thought I'd try it again. I just put a batch on three days ago. I've modified the recipe a bit:

-13 L boiled water, cooled overnight (to tolerably warm) without opening. They'll absorb 14 L, but I don't like a soggy bottom.
-1 bottle peroxide
-1 C skim milk powder
-8 L pellets
-1 C dolomitic limestone (overkill maybe, but it's coarse)

I mixed them in a container in that order and scraped in a WBS monoculture experiment, the only spawn I had around.

It's growing okay so far. The last time I tried this it had a tendency to contaminate and stall, and greenies grew where there were particles on the sides. I would guess these dry, losing their peroxide, and then are wet by condensation. The only times I've gotten this to colonize completely were in sealed, thin-walled bags, and it was very slow (oxygen-starved).

This batch is very under-spawned, but that's my goal: to stretch spawn or eliminate pressure cooking. With 1/4 spawn it would be done already. The substrate is very fluffy.

If it contaminates, I'll try a filter patch. I suspect the peroxide decomposes over time despite the theoretical absence of peroxidase, and only a sealed container will stay sterile.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Unsteralized Peroxide Growing [Re: Snarp]
    #4158930 - 05/10/05 07:01 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

LOL! Good luck with that!

Offlinemarkquis
no dark Stranger

Loc: somewhere around London
Re: Unsteralized Peroxide Growing [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4169736 - 05/13/05 04:08 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Using piss as a nitrogen supliment might be a bit too strong....piss is usually fairly acidic..............best boil up a load of horse/ cow shit in a pillowcase, use the substrate to grow whatever and the gooey black smelly liquid that is left in the pressure cooker/ pan is wonderfull for putting all the goodness back.....makes good "tomatoe" feed too!!!!!

good luck......shanti

Offlinepuwtrip
spirit molecule

Re: Unsteralized Peroxide Growing [Re: markquis]
    #4176336 - 05/14/05 09:24 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I understand that some enzymes might decompose the peroxide, but what happens if you store the substrate in a filter bag? Once the peroxide kills the spores, it is no longer relevant whether the peroxide is there or not... That's assuming it is able to penetrate the substrate well enough. This could be beneficial for spawn bags.

OfflineSnarp
Stranger
    #4176575 - 05/14/05 10:47 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

puwtrip: that's the theory. Peroxide penetrates the substrate fine in this case, as it's mixed with the water before absorbing it into the pellets. But in fact, even if the bag is sealed, a few fuzzies tend to grow on the inside surface of the bag where nutrients have stuck to it, even if it's rolled and mashed thoroughly to get peroxide on all inside surfaces. Beats me why. This time I'm trying to eliminate any nutrients on the inside, apart from the substrate itself.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order