Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
i droped out of high school 3 times!!
    #4386351 - 07/09/05 09:09 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

with a 3.8 GPA! i then took the GED and scored 99% on the math and the science sections of the exam.
I fucked up by not graduating...or did i?

here is a list of fellow high school drop outs!

There are many notable people, who did not complete their formal education, but accomplished great things. Bill Gates, founder of the software giant Microsoft, and the wealthiest person in the world, dropped out of Harvard in his freshman year. His incredible rise to prominence in the computer industry is testimony to the fact that formal education is not synonymous with success. In fact, his phenomenal knowledge of computers was not acquired in the structured environment of the classroom. Instead, Gates pursued this interest after school by studying the BASIC language from a manual with his friend Paul Allen, helping a local company debug its computers, and designing computer programs.

Many will dismiss Gates as an exceptional individual, who may have dropped out of college, but excelled in high school before being accepted at Harvard. There are, however, many other people who have reached the highest echelons of their profession without even completing elementary school, let alone high school. The following list offers a small sample of the thousands of individuals who have achieved tremendous success in their lives without completing their formal education:

? Albert Einstein: Nobel Prize-winning physicist; "Time" magazine's "Man of the Century" (20th century) (after dropping out of high school, he studied on his own and passed the entrance exam on his second try to the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology)

? John D. Rockefeller Sr.: Self-made billionaire American businessman-philanthropist; co-founder of "The Standard Oil Company"; history's first recorded billionaire (dropped out of high school two months before graduation; took business courses for ten weeks at Folsom Mercantile College [a chain business school])

? Henry Ford: Self-made multimillionaire American businessman; assembly-line auto manufacturing pioneer; founder of the "Ford Motor Company"

? Walt Disney: Oscar-winning American film/TV producer; animation and theme park pioneer; self-made multimillionaire founder and spokesperson of "The Walt Disney Studios/Company"; Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient; Congressional Gold Medal recipient; French Legion of Honor admittee/Medal recipient (received honorary high-school diploma from hometown high school at age 58)

? Abraham Lincoln: 16th President of the United States; (little formal education - Lincoln himself estimated approximately one year; home schooling/life experience; later earned a law degree through self study of books that he borrowed from friends)

? Carl Sandburg: Pulitzer Prize-winning American author (little formal education; later passed entrance exam to Lombard College and graduated)

? Diana, Princess of Wales

? George Burns: Oscar-winning actor/comedian (elementary school dropout)

? Dave Thomas: Self-made multimillionaire American businessman; founder-spokesperson of the "Wendy's" fast-food restaurant chain (equivalency diploma)

? Martin Van Buren: 8th President of the United States (little formal education; began studying law at age 14 while an apprentice at a law firm, later became a lawyer)

? Andrew Carnegie: Self-made multimillionaire American businessman and philanthropist (elementary school dropout)

? John Chancellor: American television journalist; evening news anchorman

? "Colonel" Harlan Sanders: Self-made multimillionaire American businessman; founder-spokesperson of the "Kentucky Fried Chicken/KFC" fast-food restaurant chain (elementary school dropout; later earned a correspondence course law degree)

? Samuel L. Clemens ("Mark Twain"): Best-selling American author and humorist (elementary school dropout)

? Christopher Columbus: Italian explorer (little formal education; home schooling/life experience; went to sea in his youth)

? Davy Crockett: Early American frontiersman; U.S. Congressman (Tennessee Representative); died at the battle of the Alamo (little formal education - less than six months; home schooling/life experience)

? Charles Dickens: Best-selling British author (elementary school dropout)

? Joe DiMaggio: National Baseball Hall of Fame inductee; Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient

? Sir Francis Drake: British explorer; knighted in the United Kingdom (little formal education; home schooling/life experience; went to sea in his youth)

? George Eastman: Self-made multimillionaire American inventor; founder of the "Kodak" roll film camera, corporation, and chemical company

? Thomas Edison: Self-made multimillionaire, most famous and productive inventor of all time; invented the filament electric light bulb, phonograph, and motion picture camera; electrical power usage pioneer; Congressional Gold Medal recipient; knighted (France: bestowed the rank of Chevalier, (had no formal education - home schooled)

? Benjamin Franklin: American politician - diplomat - author - printer - publisher-scientist - inventor; co-author and co-signer of the U.S. Declaration of Independence; one of the founders of The United States of America; face is pictured on the U.S. one-hundred dollar bill (little formal education [less than two years]; home schooling/life experience)

? Clark Gable: Oscar-winning actor

? George Gershwin: Oscar-nominated and most celebrated American songwriter-and classical composer; Congressional Gold Medal recipient

? Amadeo Peter Giannini: American-born founder of "Bank of America"

? Cary Grant: Oscar-winning actor

? W.T.Grant: Self-made multimillionaire American businessman; founder of the "W.T. Grant Company" department store chain

? H.L. Hunt: Self-made billionaire American oil industrialist (elementary school dropout)

? John Huston: Oscar-winning American film director-actor (The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Maltese Falcon, The African Queen, etc.)

? Elton John: Oscar-winning songwriter-singer; Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee; knighted by the United Kingdom

? Andrew Jackson: 7th President of the United States (no formal education; home schooling/life experience)

? John Paul Jones: Scottish-born American Revolutionary War U.S. navy commander; famous quote: "I have not yet begun to fight." (little formal education; home schooling/life experience; went to sea in his youth)

? Henry J. Kaiser: Self-made multimillionaire American businessman; founder of "Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical Corporation," "Kaiser Steel," etc.

? Kirk Kerkorian: Self-made billionaire American businessman

? Ray Kroc: Self-made billionaire American businessman; founder of the "McDonald's" fast-food restaurant chain

? Jerry Lewis: Actor-comedian-singer-entertainer-humanitarian; knighted (France: Chevalier [or Chev.] Jerry Lewis)

? John Major: British Prime Minister 1990-1997

? William Shakespeare: British playwright; best-selling British author

? George Bernard Shaw: Nobel Prize-winning Irish-born British playwright; best-selling author

? Frank Sinatra: Oscar-winning actor-singer; Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient; Congressional Gold Medal recipient

? John Philip Sousa: American composer-conductor (elementary school dropout)

? Zachary Taylor: 12th President of the United States (little formal education; home schooling/life experience)

? George Washington: 1st President of the United States; former general; Chairman of the Constitutional Convention; U.S. nickname: "The Father of Our Country"; face is pictured on the U.S. one dollar bill and twenty-five cent coin (quarter) (no formal education; home schooling/life experience; went to sea in his youth)

? William Faulkner: Nobel Prize-winning and Pulitzer Prize-winning American author; screenwriter (dropped out of high school in second year; later attended University of Mississippi but did not graduate)

? Herman Melville: Best-selling American author and writer of Moby Dick, arguably the greatest novel of all time.

? Liza Minnelli: Oscar-winning actress-singer

? Robert Mitchum: Oscar-nominated actor

? Claude Monet: French painter (elementary school dropout)

? David H. Murdock: Self-made billionaire American businessman

? Florence Nightingale: History's most notable nurse; best-selling Italian-born British nursing book author (no formal education; home schooling/life experience)

? Thomas Paine: American Revolutionary War era political theorist; best-selling British-born American author; famous quote: "These are the times that try men's souls." (little formal education; home schooling/life experience)

? Millard Fillmore: 13th President of the United States (little formal education - six months; home schooling/life experience; studied law while serving as a legal clerk with a judge and law firm; later became a lawyer)

? Will Rogers: American author-humorist-lecturer-actor-entertainer; famous quote: "I never met a man I didn't like."

? Frederick Henry Royce: Self-made multimillionaire British businessman; co-founder-designer of the "Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Company"; knighted (United Kingdom: Sir Frederick Henry Royce) (elementary school dropout)

? Edmond Safra: Lebanese-born billionaire banker-philanthropist

? David Sarnoff: Russian-born American radio and television pioneer; given the title "Father of American Television" by the Television Broadcasters Association

? William Saroyan: Oscar-winning screenwriter; Pulitzer Prize-winning American playwright

? Vidal Sassoon: Self-made multimillionaire British businessman; founder of "Vidal Sassoon" hairstyling salons, academies, and hair-care products

? Walt Whitman: Best-selling American poet (elementary school dropout)

? Orville & Wilbur Wright: Aviation pioneers; Congressional Gold Medal recipients

? Grover Cleveland: 22nd and 24th President of the United States; face is pictured on the one-thousand dollar bill, which is no longer printed; (dropped out of school to help family earn income; studied law while serving as a clerk at a law firm, later became a lawyer)

? Irving Berlin: Oscar-winning American songwriter-composer; film story writer; Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient; Congressional Gold Medal recipient

keep ya head up!

--------------------
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are -Kurt Cobain

Hotter than the left sink handle.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: i droped out of high school 3 times!! [Re: uriahchase]
    #4386359 - 07/09/05 09:16 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Uriahchase! I knew you were a HUGE genius! :grin: :heart:

Great post. Many will disagree but IMO the school system is mostly designed to create obedient citizens, rather than creative, alive, adults. Your Sig says it all. :thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineWeAreAllOne
Opethian

Loc: Pennsylvania
    #4386362 - 07/09/05 09:17 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I never would have thought a lot of those people had dropped out of

high school.  But good luck with whatever you decide to do man. :heart: :grin:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: i droped out of high school 3 times!! [Re: WeAreAllOne]
    #4386394 - 07/09/05 09:33 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Nice avatar! :grin: :heart: :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
Re: i droped out of high school 3 times!! [Re: WeAreAllOne]
    #4386395 - 07/09/05 09:34 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4386406 - 07/09/05 09:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Most of the people I know who dropped out of high school didn't do it for noble reasons. They did it because it cut too much into their time being stoned or drunk. Most of these guys are now working shit jobs and bitching about their life. It is good to see you had the wisdom to get your GED so you can continue your growth in this manner. Many people may not like the standards set by society, but without a diploma or GED these days you are a person is really crippled.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: i droped out of high school 3 times!! [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4386416 - 07/09/05 09:44 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

ya spelled "dropped" incorrectly...
:wink:

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4386417 - 07/09/05 09:45 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Oh yeah....one more thing. Bill Gates rose to the top of his profession as a theif. He never wrote one lick of code. He stole DOS from CPM.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: i droped out of high school 3 times!! [Re: gnrm23]
    #4386418 - 07/09/05 09:45 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

What does that have to do with anything? :tongue:

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: i droped out of high school 3 times!! [Re: Icelander]
    #4386445 - 07/09/05 10:01 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
What does that have to do with anything? :tongue:

i dunno, but it  must have something to do with something --- oh yeah, speling an edumacationing, zat'sit...
whaddeva...
ymmv...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #4386455 - 07/09/05 10:08 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"Bill Gates rose to the top of his profession by being a theif."

And a lair too... :confused:

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4386457 - 07/09/05 10:09 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

One misspelled? You got to be kidding. Get ready to spend all your time pointing our  minor spelling errors  for all of us. :tongue:

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4386824 - 07/09/05 12:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

> ya spelled "dropped" incorrectly...

Ah, I was wondering what a drope was.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #4386833 - 07/09/05 12:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Most of the people I know who dropped out of high school didn't do it for noble reasons. They did it because it cut too much into their time being stoned or drunk.

I did it because there was no point in my being there, it was completely wasting my time and served as a prominent distraction from my growing interest in guitar and musikk itself. I dropped out early in my senior year, before which I had high honors, despite barely doing homework but aceing my tests. :lol:

I got my GED by happenstance, a buddy just happened to be going to fill out some forms for it, so I left work (washing dishes, it was slow at the time :grin:) and filled the forms out. The woman wasn't going to let me, because there was only an hour before they closed, that I wouldn't have time to do the forms, that I haven't taken any of their classes to study for it, etc. etc. etc. She asked what kind of grades I had before I dropped out, and I said A's. I filled the forms out in less than fifteen minutes, took the tests sometime a week later, and did really well. :smirk:

Dropping out was the best decision I have made yet, I think. :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineDATshroomer
Stranger
Re: i droped out of high school 3 times!! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #4386923 - 07/09/05 01:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I dropped out of regular highschool my junior year,  and went to an alternative school.  I did not like the waste of time of many of the classes i was attending from 8-3,  at the alt school the day was 9-1 :smile:.

Now at age 20 I own my own business, which specializes in custom performance internal engine components (along with basic item sales). I design all parts myself and sponsor 3 race teams. Custom items consist of performance valvetrain components, rotating assemblies, and custom induction systems as well.

Also in the last 2 years i have devoted much of my time to microcontroller design and control.  I have reverse engineered many 8/16 bit MCU systems and built some of my own from scratch. I have developed a system in one week that EE majors have been working on for months (SRAM implementation on particular 8 bit MCU). I am fluent in the technology and discuss these system with EE majors on daily basis.

I have many expensive "toys" that i built and paid for myself, I am very proud of all this.

Its a german thing,  I have "EI" in my last name, just like Einstein :smile: Once there is a will to learn, and a method, anything is possible.

Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Re: i droped out of high school 3 times!! [Re: DATshroomer]
    #4387108 - 07/09/05 03:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

:heartpump: :heartpump:

--------------------
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are -Kurt Cobain

Hotter than the left sink handle.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4387500 - 07/09/05 05:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Many people succeed despite starting from a disadvantaged position.

Sometimes facts can be used to lie. If someone were to try and present this list as evidence that starting from a disadvantaged position can be the cause of success, that's what they'd be doing.

These people succeeded because they were extremely driven, they may have dropped out of high school, but they certainly didn't slack off to get where they got. If you drop out of high school, you have to be ready to put in at least twice the effort that it would have taken to graduate on a new endeavor if you want to be a big success.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: i droped out of high school 3 times!! [Re: Phluck]
    #4387722 - 07/09/05 07:04 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It's a matter of perspective and opinion really. To me, wasting 8 or 9 years of your life in school after finishing the elementary grades could be a disadvantaged position, especially if you're driven toward doing something that could make you money in the meantime.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: i droped out of high school 3 times!! [Re: Phluck]
    #4387766 - 07/09/05 07:23 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i dropped out of highschool when i was 17
im 21 now and about a year away from getting my bachelors degree from a good university, already got my associates.

its funny, these used to seem like really huge achievements to me, but now i feel as if i'm just starting a pursuit of knowledge. i guess that is the real point of education though, to show you how vast the world is and how much you dont know.

i wouldn't drop out though unless you REALLY feel you have to.

it looks alot better if you just put up with the bullshit and ace the tests. and youll make your parents happy.

Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
    #4387826 - 07/09/05 07:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

you can still be successful in life if you drop out of high school, you're just at more of a disadvantage than people who graduated high school.

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom