Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelkfity315
First timetripper

Loc: south carolina
Meditation "A How to Guide"
    #4371004 - 07/05/05 01:01 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

hello everyone at shroomery ive been reading up on meditaion a little and am just asking for some advice on how to meditate what works for yall. I am more interested in the whole communing with your Source aspect of meditaion and really clearing your mind to prepare for trips and such. im not sure if this is the right area to post this topic but it seems the best to me. any comments or sugestions will be greatly appreciated thanks

--------------------
"My advice to people today is as follows: If you take the game of life seriously, if you take your nervous system seriously, if you take your sense organs seriously, if you take the energy process seriously, you must turn on, tune in, and drop out. "
Timothy Leary

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Meditation "A How to Guide" [Re: lkfity315]
    #4371451 - 07/05/05 06:48 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

as a practice, meditation has two parts, relaxation, and insight.

the first part is as complex as you want to make it, but it usually starts with yoga - stable healthful posture - and regular easy breathing; and many throw in a few methods for establishing concentration, re-establishing concentration when it wavers, and accommodating any vibratory phenomena that begin happenning during the process (jhanas and sidhi).

since it is most vauable as a refuge - it pays to practice regularly and make a habit of meditation, so that you can automatically return to it whenever it seems of use, especially to break some chain of behavior or some habit that you want to be free of.

the second part of meditation is insight, which is developed on top of the base that concentration/relaxation meditation builds. Insight meditation may set in any time after the first 20 minutes of sitting, and usually not before.

I reccommend a simple breathing meditation from burma.

establish posture (I am not picky I just want something that will not be squirmy and often do it lying on my back- though relaxed erect lotus posture is excellent)

put concetration on the end of the nose (as if a coin were lightly pressed there) and keep it there (mentally re-establish this sense of pressure if it wavers - without judging yourself)

during 3 parts of the in breath as each part ensues, gently recite using your silent voice: "beginning ...... middle ...... end" and
during 3 parts of the out breath as each part ensues, gently recite using your silent voice: "beginning ...... middle ...... end".

and if a long deep breath is happenning: "a long deep breath", then resume at the point that matches what is happenning.

if it is a short breath: "it is a short breath" and otherwise resume concentration and following the breathing.

gently accept and release what arises.

if you keep it simple and it will serve nicely.

(breath and spirit are the same word in latin and greek - in Rumi's poetry he mentions that all he wants is "a few sips of breath in this body" before he dies - I am a terrible paraphraser...)

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Offlinelkfity315
First timetripper

Re: Meditation "A How to Guide" [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4373517 - 07/05/05 08:09 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

thanks alot man ill have to try that tonight. i tried meditating last night and it is rather hard to concentrate my mind would wonder alot during it and i would get side tracked it was rather hard but ill have to try what you said tonight

--------------------
"My advice to people today is as follows: If you take the game of life seriously, if you take your nervous system seriously, if you take your sense organs seriously, if you take the energy process seriously, you must turn on, tune in, and drop out. "
Timothy Leary

InvisibleFreedomFight
Strange

#4374052 - 07/05/05 10:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

This is a good one to keep you on track with the concentration:
Get into position.
Count inhale as one, exhale as 2.
Count to 10.
If your mind trails or you lose count start at 1 again.
Once you have mastered this count each breath cycle as 1.

Breathe slow and don't let your mind wander. Good luck

--------------------
I do not grow anything illegal.
I do not sell anything.
I am, however, a very curious individual.
I also try to be helpful.

Offlinelkfity315
First timetripper

Re: Meditation "A How to Guide" [Re: FreedomFight]
    #4374469 - 07/06/05 01:01 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

thanks dude

--------------------
Timothy Leary

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
    #4374479 - 07/06/05 01:04 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Here is my guide

Meditation, A How to Guide: Don't have a guide.

Over and out :cool:

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

Offlinelkfity315
First timetripper

Re: Meditation "A How to Guide" [Re: flowstone]
    #4374566 - 07/06/05 01:27 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

flowstone said:
Here is my guide

Meditation, A How to Guide: Don't have a guide.

Over and out :cool:

HUH?? you cant just say i wont to meditate and sit there and breath it helps to have some advice and instruction on ways to meditate

--------------------
Timothy Leary

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
    #4374576 - 07/06/05 01:32 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Kind of like it takes knowing how to breathe... You breath in, and then breathe out... What you do after that is based solely on your mindset... You get pumped up, you breathe heavy... you enter some deep channel of your mind relaxed, you breath soft... Where you take your car once you learn gas will power it is entirely up to you and should not be dictated by anyone elses 'guide'.. beyond the 'basics', that is... Breathe in.... breathe out... Peace :peace:

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

Offlinelkfity315
First timetripper

Re: Meditation "A How to Guide" [Re: flowstone]
    #4374597 - 07/06/05 01:42 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

but how are you going to know how to drive the car if someone doesnt show you you cant just start driving youll crash you need some direction on what to with it but yes once you know how to drive you take your car where ever you please

--------------------
Timothy Leary

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #4374882 - 07/06/05 06:36 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I practice zazen meditation. You sit facing a wall, using your knees and and a pillow, you kind of prop yourself up like a tripod, relax your eyes (you shouldn't close them) and breathe in and out, 1, in and out, 2, all the way to 10, then you start over again.

Here's more info

http://www.sotozen-net.or.jp/kokusai/howtodozazen01.htm

--------------------

Offlineravin0ff
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Meditation "A How to Guide" [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #4375844 - 07/06/05 01:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I can't do zazen meditation, it leads me nowhere. I found a really effin' good one a couple days ago though.

Center your consciousness on the center of your brain. after about 1 or 2 minutes(it's VERY quick) you start to hear a high-pitched vibrating buzz. Concentrate on the highest pitch you can hear, try and envelope your self in that vibration. keep listening, you'll hear different fluctuations and pitches, keep your attention on the highest pitch you can hear at all times.

also, I think(not positive) that you're not supposed to listen to it with your left ear, listen to it with your right, or ideally, balanced between both.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4376037 - 07/06/05 02:34 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You know, the way to meditate, is not to meditate..

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4376592 - 07/06/05 04:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The Way of a Pilgrim, written anonymously by a 19th century Russian is about the practice of Christian contemplation (meditation means discursive thinking about scriptures in Christian context) in the Eastern Orthodox Church. The Hesychast [Hesychia=tranquility] monks of Mt. Athos, Greece have kept this tradition alive for 1000 years. The practice derives from St. Paul's words in the 1st Epistle to the Thessalonians to "Pray without ceasing." Like the practice of mantra in India, or dhikr among the Sufis, the 'prayer' begins 'on the lips' [body], then is said mentally [mind] and finally descends to the Heart [spirit] where it merges with the psychophysical processes of breathing and heartbeat, and seems to take on a [psychospiritual] life of its own - even during sleep.

The pilgrim walks about the steppes of Russia with a copy of The Philokalia [Love of Beauty/Goodness], a Bible, and some bread and salt in his backpack, and relates various phenomenon that occur on bodily, mental and spiritual domains of life experience.

I have included one technique - simplified - by Nicephorus the Solitary entitled 'Profitable Discourse on Sobriety.' Understand "sobriety" to mean a highly lucid, energetic yet tranquil state of consciousness (not a word that merely opposes drunkenness). St. Simeon the New Theologian (I live off of a St. Simeon Way!) offers 'Three Methods of Attention and Prayer' in which a state of 'Apatheia' is sought wherein:

"you should have complete absence of passionate attachment, so that your thought inclines toward nothing worldly. Keep your attention within yourself (not in your head but in your heart). Keep your mind there (in the heart), trying by every possible means to find the place where the heart is, in order that , having found it, your mind should constantly abide there. Wrestling thus, the mind will find the place of the heart."

One must remember however that (1) these texts were written by and for monks, (2) the language is devotional, but the practice is mystical, (3) prayer means contemplative prayer, equivalent to the Eastern term meditation.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (07/06/05 05:13 PM)

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Meditation "A How to Guide" [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4376646 - 07/06/05 04:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

:"and regards everything external as unattractive and unimportant."

Interesting hit on meditation Mark. My question is, if the above is true, then what is the value of living on earth, and having a human experience?

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Meditation "A How to Guide" [Re: Icelander]
    #4376920 - 07/06/05 05:53 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
:"and regards everything external as unattractive and unimportant."

Interesting hit on meditation Mark. My question is, if the above is true, then what is the value of living on earth, and having a human experience?

we recently considered that the habit of turning internally (obsessing with self referential issues) (reference points for example - http://www.nyingma.com/dzogchen1.htm ) is in fact what separates us from the natural ongoing enlightened experience.

--------------------

Edited by redgreenvines (07/06/05 07:30 PM)

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4377054 - 07/06/05 06:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup: :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
    #4377114 - 07/06/05 06:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Let's see, meditation. Looking at the inner thoughts of your mind and then distorting them. Meditation is for lamers. Peace.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Meditation "A How to Guide" [Re: Droz]
    #4377332 - 07/06/05 07:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Droz said:
Let's see, meditation. Looking at the inner thoughts of your mind and then distorting them. Meditation is for lamers. Peace.

rather "Looking at the inner thoughts of your mind " and stop!
bare attention is what it is
the distortion is yours alone.

how ya been droz?

--------------------

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
    #4377390 - 07/06/05 07:53 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Doing better then ever.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4377792 - 07/06/05 09:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Your question to me is pretty much what my Basic Theology I professor asked me in seminary back in 1976. I still have the paper I wrote which was my own religious creed which the prof wrote that he heard in "stentorian tones."

My answer even today is to 'be in the world, but not of the world.' Now, I have need for a Lady (partner, consort, wife), but I am not a parent, nor have I ever desired to live the life of a family man, so this kind of detachment sits well with me. My Lady understands as I do that the withdrawal of the senses - Yogic 'Pratyahara' - precedes 'Dharana' [concentration] and 'Dhyana' [meditation]. These stages can be traversed while sitting on the floor doing Yoga and/or psychedelics, but they also represent the different levels of our consciousness available at every moment. Ultimately, we are alone [or, all-one] and so we take all this "living on earth" with a grain of salt. I respect the fact that my Lady has raised a daughter to college-grad level, loves her completely, yet her daughter does not define her life and purpose on the planet.

All of this creation, for me, is but the manifestation of the Divine Designer. As beautiful and terrible as it all is, I'm very Platonic about the Archetypal Ideas that everything is a manifestation of. The Central Archetype is Love, or Compassion. We cannot grow in Love without the beings and the biosphere in which we all exist, but in order to 'Know,' to Realize, we must know Reality inwardly, non-spacio-temporally. Inner vision is the direction that all religious vehicles of Truth reveal. Upon one's deathbed, one's eyes might be focused on the cloudless sky, but Eternity stretches Infinitely inward, not outward. The very bounded universe is but a projection screen for our focus, and the light of the eyes fails at death whereas the Inner Light of Unmitigated Reality begins to dawn. This Truth is with me now, while making love, taking a shower, in pleasure and in pain.

We are not puppy dogs set here merely to frolic.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order