Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
i found this mushroom that i think is a foenisecii, i found them in my lawn, it is early summer, june 30, bonney lake, WA. the gills are dark grown/blackish, cap is brown, some are cones and some are spherical, and the outside parts are blackish, stem is brown, the spore print is hard to explain, its brownish black but there not much of a print when i push the cap on a piece of paper. it has a mild smell, like the smell of some cyanesaence i had bought off a friend. can anyone help me?
also on the mushroom season/location guide it says 'Tests on specimens found in Washington revealed no psilocybin, but eastern specimens were potent' and i am in the western washington area, so if they happen to be foenisecii but have no Psilocybin in them, would it be harmful to eat them?
There is no such animal as a Psilocybe foenisecii. Your description might be a Panaeolina foenisecii, which is inactive despite some old reports to the contrary.
To take a spore print you need to remove the stem and place the cap gills down on a piece of white paper and let it set over night. Use a drinking glass to cover the specimen. Over time spores are forcibly ejected from special cells on the surface of the gills. After several hours a deposit of spores should be visible under the cap, but it's best to let it sit over night to get a heavy spore deposit. The color of the spore deposit is the info we need to begin ID on little brown mushrooms.
If your mushrooms are in fact Panaeolina foenisecii, then it will neither kill you nor get you high; you may experience mild nausea or a case of the runs. If you are mistaken in your ID and consume a Galerina (another common LBM) you will barf your guts out for two days and then die when your liver and kidneys fail.
I strongly recommend that you not consume any mushroom until you have gained some experience in Identifying them to species. You should especially learn to spot the deadly species which grow in your area. On any given day you are more likely to find a deadly mushroom than an active one.
oh yeah thats what i was referring to, (Also known as Paneaolina foenisecii or Psilocybe foenisecii) it says in the guide, its been about a couple hours since ive picked them, and they are very dark color, but yes, i do know what a galarina is, i will make sure not to consume any of those, if i can get a picture of them i will, they look just like all of the other pictures i have seen of the Paneaolina foenisecii