Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Spawn run question(s)...
    #4307233 -

So, I threw a couple of bulk containers together just for kicks. I didn't really intend to go to bulk, but now it looks like I'm committed  :argh:
I just looked in on a 4"Wx 10"L x 3.5" D and a 4x8x4D pair and see mic. shooting pretty strong through a "run" in the sub.
My first question is how long can I expect this run to take until colonization? 2-3 weeks? <- my guess.
I'll do some searching now to learn a bit, but, are there things I need to watch out for?

can my sub dry out? It passed the squeeze test good (straight cow poop), it's under tin foil only with holes in it in an inc. at 82-87 F. rH in the chamber is 75 %. There is moisture droplets on the underside of the foil.

Any words of wisdom would help at this point. Like I said, I didn't set out in this direction, it just kinda grew on me  :loveeyes:

Edit: I'm still not sure if this is the right forum, but, I thought I would get more experienced answers here

Thanks. peace


--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Edited by LouiseLouise (06/17/05 10:39 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn run question(s)... [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4307515 -

take it out of the inc. the poo generates heat itself. your temps will prolly go 90 pluss in the substrate if you leave it like that.

this is a mush cult question.

usually with a 25% spawn rate its anywhere from 4-7 days. what % did you use.


--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn run question(s)... [Re: xburn]
    #4308252 -

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I really don't know what % I used, I just threw some in there. I guess I just wanted to see if it would work, lol.
But, relatively speaking, it may have been around 10%.
Actually, the incubator is only a box in the closet, the thermom on top of the casing container (inside the box) says a steady 82-87.
Should my bulk containers be in the same environment (no light) as my fruiting chamber, which is at about 75-80 F?
I still need to do some reading.
Thanks for the reply, it helps  :thumbup:


--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn run question(s)... [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4308356 -

Bump, moved this to general culti.


--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn run question(s)... [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4308411 -

I would leave it in the 75-80 environment. As xburn said bulk tubs generate their own heat. At 10% spawn you are more likely to get contams since it will take much longer to colonize, if it does at all. Also, if you are using cow poo you may want to consider mixing in some straw next time. Typically, cow poo alone isnt ideal for a substrate, but i have seen limited success with it.

You said you hadn't inteded on bulk grow, so this should be a good learning experience. Keep us posted, especially if you get results. If u have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn run question(s)... [Re: LengthyFellow]
    #4308695 -

Gotcha :thumbup:
it looks promising at the moment, the mic. is really agressive :eek:
Also, it's OI :grin:


--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn run question(s)... [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4309048 -

Quote:
At 10% spawn you are more likely to get contams since it will take much longer to colonize, if it does at all.



That is absurd. 10% is PLENTY of spawn. Professional growers use about 2 cups per square FOOT of 6" bed. That equates to about a third the spawn he used at 10%. In other words he used 3 times the normal amount of professional growers. And at that spawn rate, you will finish easily in 2 weeks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn run question(s)... [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4315161 -

well touche...last time i tried less than 20% i got cobweb mold before it was done, but with one trial that hardly counts as a scientific experiment. From what ive read here most reccomend at least 20%...not saying ur wrong tho


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn run question(s)... [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4316228 -

I use a 5 to 1 spawn ratio.

much faster colonization times...and less chances of contamination...IME

8 days to colonize a bulk tray...average for me...sometimes more, sometimes less.


--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!


Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spawn run question(s)... [Re: Roadkill]
    #4316243 -

I agree with R/K. I try to stay inside the 20 to 25% range. That has always done very well for me. These aren't edibles. You want ASAP colonization, which minimizes contaminate vectors.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* spawn run: minor problems, Early casing? tasteOrganic 1,988 5 11/05/02 04:53 PM
by ExtravagantDream
* Spawn RUN? and pre pinning. kzlazy 1,531 2 08/16/02 05:11 AM
by kzlazy
* Straw spawn run OZZ 1,696 6 07/19/02 12:25 AM
by Terrarium_Guy
* Spawn Jar Question Cow Shit Collector 2,999 5 10/04/02 03:25 PM
by Green_Velvet
* Here's my "Creeper" spawning run down... give me the "OK"! Gthirteens 1,629 4 01/17/03 08:47 PM
by Gthirteens
* spawn/substrate questions Amoeba665 3,130 1 09/02/01 05:29 PM
by Anno
* spawn to dung ratio? how many jars PSILOCYBE_RICKY 1,831 11 08/30/02 01:36 AM
by Anno
* spawning question MickyFinn 1,408 13 01/05/03 03:27 PM
by MickyFinn

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
930 topic views. 11 members, 46 guests and 116 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.