Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibletasteOrganic
El magico
spawn run: minor problems, Early casing?
    #1024710 - 11/05/02 02:49 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hello, I am new to this forum, this is my first post.

I am currently in the spawn run using a bulk substate of nutrient enhanced wheat straw. This is my personal first time doing this, a friend back home had done it a few time on smaller scales. He challenged me to give it a shot if he set me up with some of the basic things. I built a stealth box, with a plastic terraium tent inside. We got an ionizer, are maintainging heat with hot water being pumped through tubes in the Pelite layer. We had some intital problems regulating temp, but now we got it at 85 degrees and atleast 95% humidity.
We do have one problem: Our temps dropped kinda low for a few about 48 hours about a week ago. About 75 degrees was what it was at. We corrected it now, and have a pretty healthy spawn going on.

*There are some pins forming and actually trying to fruit. It is pretty much localized in a few small area all withing 8 inches from each other. We have had the straw covered with a plastic tarp to help keep temp and C02 in. We thought that after getting the temps right it would stop trying to fruit.
How can we stop this? I was thinking of simply removing any dense clusters that are doing this.

*Second item: Is it possible to case a substrate that is not 100% run through by the spawn? The reason why I want to case early is that my room mate and I have to go home for Thanksgiving break, and dont want to trust anyone to maintain it for us. Im not sure how to exactly judge how far the spawn has run through, but it is definately clearly visible. Every day I see more and more white.

Thats about it. I know it was long, but I wanted to be detailed.

peace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNewbie2000
Idiot:www.soby.us

Re: spawn run: minor problems, Early casing? [Re: tasteOrganic]
    #1024762 - 11/05/02 03:04 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It sounds to me like you know what you are doing. You want to wait as long as possible before casing, because you need the "spawn" to be as strong as possible, so it can fight off organisims and foreign spores that could fatally harm it. I have no idea what to tell you about the early fruiting - or pinning - if that is the scenerio, maybe it is okay to case now? The other people here will help you out better than I can. That is just my guess.

OfflineNewbie2000
Idiot:www.soby.us

#1024763 - 11/05/02 03:04 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It sounds to me like you know what you are doing. You want to wait as long as possible before casing, because you need the "spawn" to be as strong as possible, so it can fight off organisims and foreign spores that could fatally harm it. I have no idea what to tell you about the early fruiting - or pinning - if that is the scenerio, maybe it is okay to case now? The other people here will help you out better than I can. That is just my guess.

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: spawn run: minor problems, Early casing? [Re: Newbie2000]
    #1024840 - 11/05/02 03:30 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

During the spawn run you want to keep the spawn in total darkness while colonizing .... it will not fruit if kept in total darkness and the mycelium will colonize the substrate much quicker than in the presence of light.

Light and fresh air exchanges are what initiate the fruiting stage ... what triggers the mycelium to start fruiting, you dont want to introduce the spawn to these two factors until it is 100 % colonized, cased and the casing layer has colonized properly.

You could pick off the pins and keep it in darkness until its 100 % colonized, then case and intiate the fruiting stage when appropriate.

Anyone else have any ideas ?

InvisibletasteOrganic
El magico
Re: spawn run: minor problems, Early casing? [Re: OZZ]
    #1024984 - 11/05/02 04:26 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I have the whole layer covered with a large black plastic trashbag. The box is opaque, so no light should be getting in. I dunno. I'll just keep it going for now. Iit should keep growing well. All the mycellium is rhizomophic, nothing real puffy. We got all the kinks worked out in the temp department, whcih was a bitch because this town gets cold, and our house is drafty.
Wish me luck, for now im going to remove all the areas where the pins are forming in hopes that they will not spread.

thanks for the input

Jah live

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
    #1025057 - 11/05/02 04:53 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with you ozz, you should remove the pins present without disturbing too much and then reincubate until 100% colonized. You could essentially leave it as is, this would be following nature's path. But indoing so there would be no definate flush, making it a pain to crop. You would have to crop alot more times, each time with a probability of intrucing contams.

But i did find it amuzing that you called it the temp department. It gave me this grande image of a warehouse and houndreds of workers. "Damnit.. we got a problem.. call in the temp team."  :tongue: let me dream

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate