Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Straw spawn run
    #750116 - 07/16/02 07:43 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have a friend who thinks hes going to try straw sense he is not happy with the size of fungus he is producing. He has been reading all the straw teks and is wondering why a person couldnt just follow the teks, paturize the straw as recommended (170 deg. 1 hour 15 min) mix with colonized rye grain and layer in a rubbermaid container.

Here is where my question arises, most of the teks use either bags to let the straw colonize or cover it tightly with plastic wrap and punching holes in the wrap.

One tek says just to put it in the rubbermaid and cover the top with aluminum foil with some holes in it.

Why couldnt you just put the pasturized, inoculated straw in the rubbermaid, mist the sides of the container and put the lid on ?? They seal pretty well and there is still some air exchange. If this would work it just seems much easier than messing with plastic wrap or punching a ton of holes in aluminum foil. Once colonized of course the casing layer would then be added.

Would this be OK? OR am I missing something ?

Edited by OZZ (07/16/02 07:46 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: OZZ]
    #750124 - 07/16/02 07:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: Straw spawn run [Re: Macey Howard]
    #750150 - 07/16/02 07:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

LOL...ya I guess your right. YOu know, that gets me wondering though if maybe with that much air space and only one misting maybe the straw would dry out before it colonized.? More mistings would then be required ..... but with more mistings comes more chances for contamination. So why not just layer the inoculated straw in the rubbermaid and case right away and keep in darkness until you see mycelium coming through the casing layer ? This would keep moisture in to a greater extent and also would help to keep contams off of the substrate cuz we all know that uncolonized substrate is far more suseptable to contams than colonized substrate.

My friend is going to give it a shot but just wanted to see if anyone saw any major flaws with this approach ? Anything Im missing or not seeing the relavance of??

Thanks for the help !!

OfflineLaCasta
Beyond Good andEvil

Loc: Chicago
Re: Straw spawn run [Re: OZZ]
    #750241 - 07/16/02 08:39 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

So why not just layer the inoculated straw in the rubbermaid and case right away and keep in darkness until you see mycelium coming through the casing layer ?

Your casing layer may dry out, before the mycelia reaches it and pokes through. Make sure you mist the casing layer.

--------------------

"Memories of high speeds when the cops crash, As I laugh pushin the gas while my glocks blast" -RIP Tupac

OfflineMaveric2112
journeyman
Loc: My name is God so there f...
    #750274 - 07/16/02 09:00 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

alright check it out this is what I was doing when I was using straw on a smaller scale. (You will need filter disk or I guess you could rig it up with coffee filters but I've never tried that) Take your lid and in the center cut a slightly smaller then the filter disk. Get a tube of super glue and glue the filter disk on the underside of the lid covering the hole. (Every time you spawn just scrape the old filter disk off with a razor blade and replace with another) After you have put your straw and rye mixter in the tub and pack the hell out of it. Place the lid on tight, the get a dish towel ( I wash mine in hot water and bleach first). Wet the towel with a h2o2 and h2o solution, don't go crazy just get it damp. Place the towel over the hole this way any air it does exchange with which will be little will be clean and moist. Then every day give it a couple of sprays with the solution and you should be fine. That's just my opinion though.

--------------------
Ahh what the hell am I talking about? I just like to make up stories. In short, I'm full of Sh$t!!!!!!

OfflineMaveric2112
journeyman
Loc: My name is God so there f...
    #756474 - 07/18/02 03:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

?

--------------------
Ahh what the hell am I talking about? I just like to make up stories. In short, I'm full of Sh$t!!!!!!

InvisibleTerrarium_Guy
Sensei

Loc: ...beyond the sun...
    #757950 - 07/19/02 02:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

WTF dude! Just use the damn plastic wrap or foil. They are both cheap enough. People do it for a reason, these are tried and true techniques that cultivators took years to perfect through painful trial and error. Stick with the tek man, unless you have an abundance of jars and space. If so then post your results so we can all benefit from your experiment.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation