Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Oyster Shell, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGthirteens
GovernmentalStrain 13
Here's my "Creeper" spawning run down... give me the "OK"!
    #1227736 - 01/17/03 10:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hello to all you helpful shroomers,

I just want to post exactly what my next step is with my fully colonized Creeper Jars (BRF) so that I don't make any mistakes! If you can reply and let me know what you think it would be very helpful!

Okay... I'm planning on using 1 half pint creeper spawn for each metal tray (i'm planning on using simple aluminum baking pans... what do YOU use?).

I'm then first going to pauesterize some horse dung via Roadkill's method (put in pillow case and boil at 160 for an hour). I'm gonna then let it sit overnight, in the sink! Oh yeah, is it fine if the poo is frozen, but was dry originally? I assume I can just thaw it out right?

Ok... after the poo is all cool, and is field capacity wetness. I'm planning on using 3 half pint jars worth of this poo for every half pint jar of fully colonized BRF cakes! So it'll be a 1/3 ratio... I'm thinking I might end up making it a 1/4 or 1/5 ratio. The reason for these high spawn ratio's is cause I figure it'll make everything lower risk! I just want to insure these spawnings to colonize quick!

Alright, I put the poo and the *grated* mycelium cake in the metal tray and mix thuroughly.

I then put an aluminum cover over top each tray, punch holes in the top, and put away in my incubator cupboard!

Alright... now let's say it colonizes 100% with no problems, which I'm hoping will happen;) Oh yeah, how often can I check up on these without disturbing it with light? Every few days?

Alright, now I got this metal tray with fully colonized horse poo! All white!

What do you suggest now? Should I start pinning straight from the dung for 1st flush, then case, or case from the very start?

I was planning on putting a casing layer of either jiffy mix, or a 50/50 mix of coir/verm with hydrated lime! I would leave my trays at incubation temps for around 3 days after I add a casing layer!

Then I was gonna set these trays in a big tupperware terrarium with perlite humidification to reach 95% RH for pinning! and to keep temperatures constant, I was thinking of just using a space heater in my closet (but then I worry of it getting too hot, i'll have to check the temp too often) or I was gonna use a fish aquarium heating pad, that would go underneath with a shirt inbetween the heating pad and terarium so not to melt the plastic!

And ofcourse, my method for air exchange is simply going to be a twice a day fanning!

I was planning on using just a basic flourescent light bulb for lighting purposes (12/12 lighting schedule).

After these trays start pinning, I was going to then transfer them to my fruiting chamber which is just going to be a tupperware with lid and heating source basically! Should I put a jar of water with submersible fish tank heater to keep warm?

So there's what I'm planning on doing! To your knowledge, do you think this would produce some nice fruits for me?:) I'm planning on patching the cassing layer too, to insure even pinset!

Let me know your little helpful tidbits of info that lead me to success!!!

Oh yeah one more thing, I'm planning trying this same procedure except with the compost sold at mycotpro.com . I think my mycelium is really gonna eat that stuff up!

Thanks in Advance,
The Delicious Gthirteens

--------------------
Nostalgiaholic -

Fresh Times Past Age Like Wine,
More and More Precious All the Time

We have found they can intoxicate,
Blurring the Reality of our State

As I pluck them off my Aged Mental Vine,
Fresh Times Past Taste Like Wine

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Here's my "Creeper" spawning run down... give me the "OK"! [Re: Gthirteens]
    #1227782 - 01/17/03 10:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Jesus, that was longer than the bible.  Ok, lets see, where to start.
Quote:

put in pillow case and boil at 160 for an hour

It won't boil since water boils at 212, just don't let it boil.
Quote:

Oh yeah, how often can I check up on these without disturbing it with light? Every few days?

I'd say at least wait 4 or five days after spawning to check.  I'd say check it at the most, once every 4 days. 
Quote:

Should I start pinning straight from the dung for 1st flush, then case, or case from the very start? 

I say let it flush once, then case, if for no other reason than it will get you fruits quicker. :wink:  But if you want to case, go for it, but letting it flush once will encourage a more even pinset on your second flush.
Quote:

or a 50/50 mix of coir/verm with hydrated lime

I woudn't use the lime if you are using coir, you can add crushed oyster shell if you like, but the lime might throw off the pH since coir/verm doesn't need a buffer. 
Quote:

Then I was gonna set these trays in a big tupperware terrarium with perlite humidification to reach 95% RH for pinning! 

You could use perlite, but its not completely needed. 

Good luck, and probably the most important aspect of working with poo, especially for the first couple of times, is getting the moisture content of the compost right.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineGthirteens
GovernmentalStrain 13
Re: Here's my "Creeper" spawning run down... give me the "OK"! [Re: Skikid16]
    #1227794 - 01/17/03 10:31 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Skikid16... that was very helpful! I appreciate it! Yeah that was pretty long huh? Didn't realize that when I was typing it out;)

Gthirteens - "That's all I ever smoke"

--------------------
Nostalgiaholic -

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Here's my "Creeper" spawning run down... give me the "OK"! [Re: Gthirteens]
    #1227799 - 01/17/03 10:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

No Problemo. Poo is fun, once you get the water content right, you'll love it. Oh and I can tell you how much of a difference it makes to grate the BRF cakes. The mycelium will rip through the shit, hehe. Oh and about the poo being frozen, as long as it was dried prior to freezing, it should be fine. If you can, you may want to let it dry in front of a fan in the basement or garage.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineGthirteens
GovernmentalStrain 13
Re: Here's my "Creeper" spawning run down... give me the "OK"! [Re: Skikid16]
    #1227815 - 01/17/03 10:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Skikid: I got 10 half pint jars fully colonized, half of them are going to be spawned on horse poo... then half I'm going to spawn on that new compost at mycotpro.com it sounds awesome!!

-Gthirteens - "It's all I ever smoke"

--------------------
Nostalgiaholic -

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Oyster Shell, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation