Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Incense, Laminar Flow Hood, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecrazymanja
Bug Eyed Earl
 User Gallery

Loc: I GOT SHROOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Microwave sterilization?
    #4297322 - 06/15/05 12:50 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Okay I know it's wrong but does anybody do it? I would LOVE to do it. But yet I know somebody will have your jars will blow up or sometihng. I use the HDPE 1/2 pint jars (cakes). Give me the info baaaaaaby!!

--------------------
"My mom thinks I'm special"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: Microwave sterilization? [Re: crazymanja]
    #4297365 - 06/15/05 01:04 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i use my microwave all the time to sterilize my casing mix, well the 3 times ive mixed it up:) and havent had any problems with it yet.. i would suguest adding a lil extra water to your casing mix becuz it drys out quit a bit.. and i did try nuking a brf/verm once.. but i nuked it to long and burnt it and man did it stink and take forever to get the smell out of microwave.. wife was pissed:) but when i nuke my casing mix ive done it in a jar with a plastic lid with a hole drilled in the lid and ive mixed a big batch up in a big plastic bowl and coved with syran wrap i nuke it for 2 min let it sit a min and repeat 2 or 3 times, all depends on how long i feel like waiting:) but i have had no problems so far..

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Offlinecrazymanja
Bug Eyed Earl
 User Gallery

Loc: I GOT SHROOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Microwave sterilization? [Re: willmafingerdo]
    #4297406 - 06/15/05 01:14 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I think I'll blow about m jars trying different methods, I got this huge industrial microwave and I just have to see how it goes. Man I wish I could case, I've tried but always green mold. Screw it, cakes work for me and I'm sticking to it.

--------------------
"My mom thinks I'm special"

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
Re: Microwave sterilization? [Re: crazymanja]
    #4297607 - 06/15/05 02:03 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Grain without pressure cooker tec

all you need is a microwave, a big soup kettle, and 1 sq.' of hardware cloth. :smile:

have done WBC, millet, rye, popcorn, cracked corn, wild rice, and grass seed w/manure in this way. :thumbup:

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Microwave sterilization? [Re: deanofmean]
    #4297784 - 06/15/05 02:50 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Microwave blows...

It's only good for sterilyzing casing layers...

-Gnostic

Offlinearchea
Wanted Man

Loc: Closet and Forest
Re: Microwave sterilization? [Re: deanofmean]
    #4297786 - 06/15/05 02:50 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
Why should my love for plants make me a wanted man?

Edited by archea (08/03/05 09:55 PM)

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Microwave sterilization? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4298006 - 06/15/05 04:28 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
Microwave blows...

I have a few experiments that seem to be going well at the moment, I hope to change your mind soon  :wink:

Here is one small little test I was doing
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4294326/an/0/page/0

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Loc: Lazy River Road
Re: Microwave sterilization? [Re: blackout]
    #4298185 - 06/15/05 06:30 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'm a new believer in microwave sterilization as far as PF cakes are concerned. I just used agar's plastic deli style container or in my case a Glad container and it worked perfect. No contams what so ever! Here it is. :mushroom2: agar's contraption

--------------------
Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

Edited by Aiko Aiko (06/15/05 06:39 AM)

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Microwave sterilization? [Re: Aiko Aiko]
    #4298230 - 06/15/05 08:03 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

You've tried this how many times and did you have a control?..

didn't think so...You should read this....

Suess wrote this BTW
Quote:

There is a large difference in being able to grow a fungus and understanding the scientific method. Without performing a scientific experiment, with both a control group and a test group, you cannot make any claims other than you got lucky. Even if you do a scientific experiment and publish your results, the results are meaningless until your procedures have been peer reviewed and independently verified as accurate.

What is it about a laminer flow hood that keeps contamination away from your work area? If you answered "a sterile laminer air flow" then you were correct. If you answered "sterile air flow" or anything related but left out the word "laminer" then you are incorrect.

Laminer air flow is air that flows evenly, without turbulance. (A filter is typically used to ensure that the airflow is sterile.) When a spore lands in a laminer air flow, it is wisked away from the work area quickly. When a spore lands in a turbulant air flow, it bounces around, up and down, and lands where ever it gets lucky. If you are lucky, then it lands away from your work area. If you are unlucky, then it lands on your actual work.

So the big question here is, "Does an oven produce a sterile laminer air flow." The answer is obviously "I don't know." Can we test for laminer air flow... Yes, this is very easy to see... simply setup your oven as if you were doing work, then light some incense and stick it in the oven and let it burn. Watch the smoke... does it come up and go straight up, or does it spin around and around.

Now... you may be a lucky one that has an oven that does magically produce laminer flow. I haven't see this, but I won't rule out that such a beast may exist. If you are, then you will see the smoke trails go straight up. If you are like me, they will bounce all over the place and produce eddies in the air. Remember though, the flow of air still is not sterile. Just because you have rising air around your work area doesn't mean that the rising air is clean.

You can also use soap bubbles... they work better than smoke, in my opinion. Get a bubble blower and blow a stream of small bubbles into the oven airflow. Do the bubbles land on the work area or are they wisked away. For me, they always land on my work area. If a bubble does, so will a spore or bacteria. My oven actually sucks the bubbles floating near the floor and drops them directly on my work area. Over 90% of all contaminates are located within 1 foot of the floor (gravity).

Finally, if the oven tek works for you, then by all means continue to use it. At the same time, don't ignore the people that claim it doesn't work for them. Every single time that I have used the oven tek, I have contaminated. Once I built a real flow hood my problems went away. For me, the oven tek doesn't work, but if it did, I wouldn't bother with anything else.

-Gnostic

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Loc: Lazy River Road
Re: Microwave sterilization? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4299108 - 06/15/05 01:36 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not saying it was a scientific study at all. I'm just saying that I've done jars many times with great success. But it is somewhat of a hassle to have to fill numerous little jars and then steam them for over an hour. The microwave tek allows you to do like 2 pints of cake in one container. Nuking that for 7 minutes and then cooling. Pretty freaking easy. So far producing the same results. BTW I have the plastic container next to 4 jars and they are colonizing at about the same speed w/ no contams what so ever.I'll put pics. up soon. Next run if I don't have a PC by then I'll only do plastic. You may be right about getting lucky but if three in a row turns out to be successful than maybe were on to something. :wink:

--------------------
Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Incense, Laminar Flow Hood, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation