Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNuggetpouch
Male

New to Mushroom Hunting
    #4287030 - 06/12/05 01:57 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hi there my fellow fungus lovers. I live in FL, where I am told that we have a mushroom season almost all year long. Now there is alot i know about indoor hyproponic mushrooms, but when it comes to mushrooms growing in the wild there are some basic questions i need a better explanation too.
First of all I live in florida werre the humidity is high and we have been getting alot of rain, unfortunately there are no cow fields near my house but I do live in front of a ridge and a state park that has many forests, clearings, and some horse stables where I have recently seen ALOT of mushrooms growing. here are my questions....

1) first question, is it possible or common to find magic mushrooms growing in the woods? or in horse dung maybe? i have seen a variety of mushrooms growing in the woods but my friends claim that you can only find the magic ones by cow- fields. the magic ones are the ones i am trying to get.
2) do magic mushrooms need to have black gills on the bottom? i have only purchased magic cubensis that had black gills on the bottom and only seen magic-mushrooms with black gills . so do white spongey gills mean that it is not a magic mushroom? i found some very magical looking caps on mushrooms but the shrooms had white gills so i left them in the ground. was that a mistake?
3)do magic mushrooms NEED to have a veil/skirt? i did find one or two variety's of shrooms growing out of horse dung that had black gills and VERY skinny stems. brown circular open caps, but there was no veil/skirt somehow it looked the cap was open originally from when it grew.
4) in the woods what are the best spots to hunt for magic mushrooms?
and ofcourse...
5) what is the best thing to keep the mushrooms in while i am hunting before i bring them back home , to dry and attempt to identify them.....

THANKS FOLKS!

--------------------
My statistical assumption is that chemical tapering should begin when the rate of visiting ODD exceeds the rate of visiting Pub, or any other Shroomery forum.

Edited by Nuggetpouch (06/12/05 02:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: New to Mushroom Hunting [Re: Nuggetpouch]
    #4287061 - 06/12/05 02:08 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

all your question an be answered in the shroomery fAQ.
read it before posting here again please.

Quote:

" Now there is alot i know about indoor hyproponic mushrooms"

hydroponic muhroom eh? whats a good liquid culture reipie? if youre such an expert. because thats the only thing about mushroom cultivation even remotely "hydroponic"
it's time for you to accept you have a head full of misinformation and start boning up on real stuff.
comming on the shroomery and saying something like 'hydroponic mushroom" just makes you look silly.
sorta like walking into a synagouge and trying to convince a rabbi that you know alot about kosher bacon.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: New to Mushroom Hunting [Re: Mitchnast]
    #4287071 - 06/12/05 02:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

^^^^what Mitchnast said.

and welcome to the shroomery.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #4287078 - 06/12/05 02:13 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hi Nuggetpouch,

You are asking the right kinds of questions. The only safe way to identify mushrooms is to know the characteristics of individual species. There are several magic species in Florida. The mushroom which you are most likely to find in your preferred habitat is Panaeolus subbalteatus. Cut and paste that name into the search engine to find out all about them.

White gills are bad news. Many white gilled mushrooms are poisonous and I know of none which are psilocybian. There are also poisonous mushrooms with dark gills that grow in your area, so you still must know how to accurately identify every mushroom you wish to consume. However, as a first step you can eliminate any mushroom with white or green gills.

OfflineNuggetpouch
Male

Re: New to Mushroom Hunting [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #4287080 - 06/12/05 02:13 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

wtf are you flaming for. i use Brown Rice Flour, and Vermiculite with water then boil it and use that as my mixture. THATS HYDROPONIC. then the frutiing chamber, there is water and a lot of humidity being misted through my tanks. THATS ALSO HDYROPONIC. all i wanted was a little advice. btw im jewish

--------------------
My statistical assumption is that chemical tapering should begin when the rate of visiting ODD exceeds the rate of visiting Pub, or any other Shroomery forum.

OfflineNuggetpouch
Male

#4287083 - 06/12/05 02:14 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for the advice shroomy dan, you rock

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#4287105 - 06/12/05 02:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

no thats not hydroponic. any more than watering a houseplant is hydroponic.
Quote:

btw im jewish

perfect then you should have no problem understanding the analogy.

oh, and im not flaming you, thats rediculous.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#4287113 - 06/12/05 02:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

shroomydan, why not suggest psilocybe cubensis?

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #4287116 - 06/12/05 02:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

first off, welcome back shroomydan. :smile:

secondly, Nuggetpouch, using the word "hydroponic" to describe mushroom cultivation is incorrect.

and Mitchnast is just playing around a little bit, because you are a newbie to the forum..

welcome to the hunting forum tho.
in the future use our Frequently Asked Questions section or do a Search through the forums to find the answers to more frequently asked questions.

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4287120 - 06/12/05 02:23 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Flaming the flamers isnt justified. You are no better than them.
And mitchnast is right, your setup isnt hydroponic, and there is no such thing as a hydroponic shroom growing setup. But shame on you Mitchnast for putting it in such a flameful way.

1, 2, 3, & 4.) shroomydan gotcha covered there.
5.) a basket is best, but not preferable amongst most shroomers. A paper bag is the next best thing. Plastic should only be used if that is all you have.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: New to Mushroom Hunting [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4287140 - 06/12/05 02:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

flameing my butt.
whats with evrybody being so sensitive?
this is the shroomery not romper shroom

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #4287141 - 06/12/05 02:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mitchnast said:
shroomydan, why not suggest psilocybe cubensis?

Yes, he might also find P. cubensis in the piles of horse poo. :smile:

I usually think of cubes as cow pie mushrooms but there have been impress collections of them from stable shavings.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate