Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLiveByFreedom
Catalyst
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains
How to take a proper cutting?
    #4223705 - 05/26/05 05:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Can anybody provide a link that thoroughly explains taking cuttings? I've done it before, but with little success. Or can somebody just give me good info on taking a good cutting (for N. rustica for example). Today i cut a 'branch' off of my N. rustica, right where it connects to the main stalk, then placed the bottom inch of the cutting in a glass of water with a little rooting hormone. Think it will work? Thanks  :grin:

--------------------
"Everything is not as it seems." Eye

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLiveByFreedom
Catalyst
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains
Re: How to take a proper cutting? [Re: LiveByFreedom]
    #4233091 - 05/29/05 11:03 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Anyone? I would love to make my 4 tobacco plants, into 10 or 11 tobacco plants, to spread around :smile:

--------------------
"Everything is not as it seems." Eye

Invisibleytse
MycoEngineering apprentice
 User Gallery

Loc: Yuggoth
Re: How to take a proper cutting? [Re: LiveByFreedom]
    #4233248 - 05/29/05 12:03 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Cutting techniques are well documented f?r some plants , salvia and cannabis are two good examples.

I have never heard of tabacco cloning and I am not sure if it?s possible. It would be nice to try.

Some general guidelines for cloning:

*Cut a young (growing) branch of 10cm or more.
*A node should be included since it?s the most possible part to grow a root
*Keep humidity high
*If there are a lot of leaves in the cutting , cut some in order to lower the humidity loss.
* Put it in clean water ( previously boiled) or directly to rich soil

Optionally rooting hormone (such as rootone) could be used according to the instructions on the bottle.

Good luck!

--------------------
For unrestricted use, the West has permitted alcohol and tobacco;
all other chemical Doors in the Wall are labeled Dope,
and their unauthorized takers are Fiends.

Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: How to take a proper cutting? [Re: ytse]
    #4242358 - 05/31/05 10:57 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

all you do is cut a main branch..

like it goes like this

\ /
\ /
Y
|
| <--- cut here!

Put in in a glass of water. Put the cuttling in a humidty dome. Let it sit for a month. Plant it.

Works for almost any plant. As long as the plant has branches it works. It doesn't work for birds or paridise for example as these plants don't have the same growth structure.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: How to take a proper cutting? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4242598 - 05/31/05 11:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

>>It doesn't work for birds or paridise for example as these plants don't have the same growth structure.

Thats why my pigeon tree didnt grow..

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: How to take a proper cutting? [Re: ytse]
    #4242638 - 06/01/05 12:07 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yup right on, this is the fastest way to grow a cutting a plus would be a the rooting hormone so it irritates the node.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: How to take a proper cutting? [Re: spudamore]
    #4242910 - 06/01/05 01:38 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yeah I don't know the "technical" term for those kind of plants. It seems a bird of Paradise must be taken from the ground due to the non branch structure?

I just recently cloned a Japanese maple leaf tree, a rose bush from just a walk around my neighborhood block. They seem to be doing fine in my a water cloning humidity tent.

Notice I previously used rooting gel and 1 inch rock wool cubes. This is not as effective as direct placement in water. First with the rock wool cubes always after 3-5 days the leaves curl or the tips die, but not with directly to water. As well I have learned the rock wool cubes actually constrict the breathing of the plant near the top of the root structure. This is important as it affects growth. I have read the water cloning is the most effective method and I do believe it as well. Adding an air stone providing air to the water via an aquarium pump is even more effective because plants love air through there roots for some reason.

This is why aeroponics is so effective. Aeroponics is a method of hydroponics that takes a nutrient solution that is aerated and sprays or mists the roots. This is the most effective form of hydroponics due to the increased air to the roots. This is how important it is to provide air to young cut lings.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: How to take a proper cutting? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4243029 - 06/01/05 02:46 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yeah i don't know how we grow strelitza reginea and medula gold at my work cus we do a lot of propergation but never seen them take any cuttings from the strelitzas. but yeah most likely close to the bottom as you can get

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom