Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

cheap powerbooks?
    #4191219 - 05/18/05 02:03 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Anyone know how I can get a huge discount on a powerbook? heh..

I need one in ~8months, but they're really expensive. I can get an educational discount, but I don't think they're very big. Should I trust ebay?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: cheap powerbooks? [Re: vampirism]
    #4191225 - 05/18/05 02:04 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

The educational discount is only 100 US Dollars. Not much at all.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: cheap powerbooks? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4191233 - 05/18/05 02:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

damn =/

that's nothing..

Male

#4191236 - 05/18/05 02:07 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yup. Mine came out to $1703 or so with shipping. That's a 1.5 GHz G4 processor, combo drive (not superdrive), 768 MB of RAM and a 100 GB hard Drive.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4191257 - 05/18/05 02:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

holy fuck!.. um.... will the current version get incredibly cheap within 8 months?

Male

#4191262 - 05/18/05 02:17 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well there are two huge Mac expos. One is July 11-14. And one in January.

At one of these, you can expect them to announce a G5 powerbook. When they do, the prices of the G4 Powerbooks will drop. Dramatically. So hold out until July I'd say cause I think they'll announce it then.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4191274 - 05/18/05 02:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

whew, ok. I would hold off on buying them forever, but I'm required to have one for my major :frown: .

How are they? I very very rarely use a mac, and have only seen powerbooks.

Male

#4191292 - 05/18/05 02:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well I'm biased...I've been a mac man all my life except for one 3-year stint with PC's that left me feeling nauseous and vulnerable to infection.

Take almost any process on a PC, and the equivalent on a mac cuts out about eighteen steps. For example, getting pics off a digital camera..is literally no more complicated then plugging it in and pressing ONE button and the computer does everything for you.

Easy to use, easy learning curve, and it aesthetically INVITES you to use it, which is great. Apple-made software is buggy and somewhat slow but as long as you surf Firefox you're fine.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4191311 - 05/18/05 02:25 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

hmm. what about programs like illustrator or photoshop for the mac?

I had an ipod and loved how easy it was to do anything, but it kind of broke after a while. With a PC I can just replace the piece, but it seems macs won't let you do that...

Male

#4191320 - 05/18/05 02:27 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Photoshop runs like a dream on a Mac - I don't use it but plenty of friends do.

Macs are less friendly to building your own computer and updating...they're very tightly made and it kind of discourages people who like to modify their comps. You should keep that in mind, yeah.

Of course if you're doing video editing - no better place than on a mac. THat's one of the main reasons I use them.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#4191330 - 05/18/05 02:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Im in the proccess of purchasing a mac mini.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Male

Re: cheap powerbooks? [Re: Jim]
    #4191336 - 05/18/05 02:30 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Nice, if I was a PC user right now I'd be switching to a Mac Mini, definitely.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#4191467 - 05/18/05 02:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

all adobe products run very well on a mac.

photoshop and illustrator were made originally for macs..then of course, they had to code it for the PC since there are more PC users...but...for example

using the paintbrush in photoshop on a pc..no matter how much ram or what your processor is...it still feels a bit of a drag

using photoshop on a mac...with the paintbrush tool...feels like it's in your hand. works very well

at the moment i have a 15" powerbook...1.67ghz, 512mb w/ a superdrive. just be happy that you live in the US and the powerbooks are cheap...mine cost 1999 EUROS and that's with the educational discount

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: cheap powerbooks? [Re: boO]
    #4191608 - 05/18/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

damn, that's a lot. But I'll complain no matter what since I'm pretty poor and this requirement will bite me in the ass; I'm looking to my family.

As for the paintbrush stuff.. that won't matter at *all* since ill be using a wacom tablet =/

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4192929 - 05/18/05 08:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Does it have to be a Powerbook? The new iBooks are pretty powerful and less expensive.

I've been a Mac user since before the Mac existed -- I sold a few Lisa (predecessor to the Mac) systems back in 1983, and I was allowed to buy the original Mac plus printer and software and bag (for a ridiculously low price) direct from Apple several months before they went on sale to the general public. I still have that original 128k Mac and it still boots and runs flawlessly.

My current machine is a year old G5 Power Mac with dual 2.0 gig processors and 2.5 gig of RAM. Photoshop filters just fly on that baby. My girlfriend has a four year old iBook and a six month old 15" PowerBook. Sweet machines, all three of 'em. My mother has a 400 Mhz iMac.

You might be able to find a used PowerBook in good condition on E-Bay, but they're pretty popular so they're more money than you would think. And I dunno about the security aspects of buying on E-Bay... sometimes people get ripped off.

One other thing you could try is to check Small Dog Electronics in Vermont www.smalldog.com. They specialize in moving factory refurbished Mac units at some VERY good prices. A factory refurb comes with full Apple warrantee and you can put Applecare on it just as if it was a sealed-box unit. The thing is, Apple has some VERY strict guidelines for dealers -- if the box has been cracked and the unit removed and set up, they are not supposed to be sold as new even if it just sits on their shelf for a while as a display model. Many of the refurbs Small Dog sells are just that -- display models or models that started life running programs at a single trade show. Others are customer returns that may have been in the possession of their first owners for literally a day.

They don't always have refurbs available -- they move pretty quickly -- but if they do you get a great deal. Small Dog isn't the only dealer with access to refurbs, but they seem to be able to weasel more of 'em out of Apple's distribution network than any other dealer I know about. Give 'em a call.

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: cheap powerbooks? [Re: Phred]
    #4193007 - 05/18/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

hmm, nice. thanks for the link and info.

As for it needing to be a powerbook, it needs to be a mac and very tough- im going to be doing a lot of graphics-program intensive work.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4193245 - 05/18/05 10:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well, if by tough you mean can you drop it and otherwise abuse it the iBook will definitely take more of that kind of punishment than the Powerbook. But the Powerbooks have more processing power and a faster graphics engine.

They're both sweet machines.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Re: cheap powerbooks? [Re: Phred]
    #4193291 - 05/18/05 10:40 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Last year I bought myself an iBook G4 and have been very, very satisfied with it's performance. If I had had more $$ I would have went with the Powerbook, but for my needs (surfing, music, etc., no video editing or anything) it has been a great machine. My friends have had mixed success with eBay Macs, tread with caution.

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#4193391 - 05/18/05 10:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

despite having a tablet...you can still notice the difference on how it runs in either mac or pc

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale