Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: Learyfan]
    #4180357 - 05/15/05 10:02 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Gee, Leary... I'm sorry I horned in on your trademark schtick of posting a cartoon with every single post. I didn't realize you had a copyright on that ploy.

Phred

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: Phred]
    #4180914 - 05/16/05 12:39 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

This whole thing is something that has been pissing me off for a long time. Journalists don't consider the consequences of their reporting, assuming that thirld-world people and terrorists don't ever read papers or watch TV and that anything that shakes the headlines is a safe bet. That is the biggest problem with terroristm policy, the media doesn't realize that they are being used by terrorists and guerillas. The point of terrorism isn't to kill everyone, or to win by force, it is to make sensational pictures that scare people into political change.

In regard to this story, it is also sad how newspeople believe there reporting has no repercussions. It could be argued that had they not over-inflated Abu Ghraib alot of people may not have been beheaded. Maybe. I'm not talking sensorship, just responsibility.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflineHillBilly777
Heterotroph

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #4181595 - 05/16/05 09:05 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I don't know about y'all, but the first thing I thought when I saw the news footage of people rioting in the mid-east was "What on earth is the matter with these people?!?" Granted, Marilyn Manson ripping up bibles irritated me, and some people saw fit to protest outside of his venues, but was there rioting in the streets across the country?!? Fires? DEATHS?!? These people are insane!

I love how the liberals always come out of the woodwork when something like this or Abu Girab happens, bleeding their hearts for these poor misunderstood Muslims, with the mean ol' Christian right in the US picking on 'em. They bitch and moan with exaggerations about the Christian conservatives pushing their views on people and scheming to turn the U.S. into a theocracy. But when the U.S. even talks tough with an Arab nation, the lefties are the first to rush to defend Islamic conservatives, people who are infinately more intolerant. Damnit, people in these countries can be executed by the state for converting to Christianity, and you bitch about the religious right in the U.S.? I just don't get it.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: HillBilly777]
    #4181703 - 05/16/05 10:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Why do we let the prisoners at G-bay even have the Koran? If terrorists get their inspiration from that, it should be considered hate literature, and we should burn them by the thousands in front of our capital building.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: looner2]
    #4182249 - 05/16/05 12:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

> Why do we let the prisoners at G-bay even have the Koran?

Because America believes in a persons right to practice their faith regardless of anything else... as long as the practice of their faith doesn't involve the use of any drug other than alcohol.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: Seuss]
    #4182299 - 05/16/05 01:09 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

multilayered humor... nice :smile:

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4182742 - 05/16/05 03:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Newsweek has officially retracted the article. I just find it disgusting that Fox News is covering this news, and is stressing responsible journalism.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: Phred]
    #4182830 - 05/16/05 03:40 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Gee, Leary... I'm sorry I horned in on your trademark schtick of posting a cartoon with every single post. I didn't realize you had a copyright on that ploy.

Phred

:lol: I'm just joking Phred.  I know I should have used a  :smile: smiley to let you know, but it looked funnier without it.  Sorry dude.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #4182866 - 05/16/05 03:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Journalists don't consider the consequences of their reporting

What makes you think they didn't have a pretty damn good idea just what would happen?

Which are they.... sleazebags or idiots?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #4182935 - 05/16/05 04:03 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

Journalists don't consider the consequences of their reporting

What makes you think they didn't have a pretty damn good idea just what would happen?

Which are they.... sleazebags or idiots?

I forget who it was that said, "Never attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance." My guess it they're idiots.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: Silversoul]
    #4182955 - 05/16/05 04:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'm pretty sure they're sleazebags.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #4182959 - 05/16/05 04:09 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, welcome back luv... where have you been?

Peace

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #4182970 - 05/16/05 04:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

HEY, IT'S LDS!!!  :cool:

Hey LDS, in your opinion who are the bigger scum bags, Newsweek or the abusive guards at Abu Ghraib?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: zahudulallah]
    #4182982 - 05/16/05 04:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I noticed that he had disappeared around the same time Alex did. Makes for some interesting conspiracy theories.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#4182993 - 05/16/05 04:17 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Different sides of the same coin, but if I had to choose.....

I'd say Newsweek because the guards were half-wit moronic assholes while , in theory anyway, those at Newsweek are smart enough to realize the consequences of their actions.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: Silversoul]
    #4183000 - 05/16/05 04:18 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
I noticed that he had disappeared around the same time Alex did. Makes for some interesting conspiracy theories.

Ouch. That's just hurtful.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4183047 - 05/16/05 04:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You can't believe anything the media, or the government says.

The only thing that is certain is that the real people at fault are the stupid ass muslims, and anyone else who has any faith in anything.

We should have 24 hour live coverage of everything happening at Gitmo at all times.

Why don't we have a Gitmo channel? Whe have a midget boxing channel, and no Amerikkkan Atrocities Channel?

WTF?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4183137 - 05/16/05 04:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

how many people died because of Abu Ghraib?

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: SoopaX]
    #4183487 - 05/16/05 06:05 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

None.
That said, my main point is that I want the source exposed. I also want the journalists to just say "no" to quoting unnamed sources. I have no problem with them using anonymous people for background but it is becoming increasingly clear that too much license is being taken with unaccountable, anonymous source quotes. They need to just stop using them. Really, an anonymous source should have no credibility. You can always find somebody to say anything if they don't have to reveal their identity and take responsibility for the veracity of their statements. And why does the press protect these people when they are shown to be liars? Fuck it. If your story is bullshit then you should be outed as a liar . The press will whine and moan that they'll never get any info, but what good is bullshit info, which is far too often what you get when the source is not identified. They have really become a bit too lazy. Everybody wants to be Woodward and Bernstein but I don't think those guys used anonymous sources to anywhere near the current extent they are used today. When you quote an unnamed government source you are giving the report something of a government issued stamp. It wouldn't be near as bad if they just said an anonymous source instead of the usual "highly placed government" source. Which could well be a career bureaucrat with no ties to the current elected administration and an interest in effecting policy himself.

I want the identity of this source, I want him/her fired, I want to know what other stories he/she was cited on, and I want him/her sued by the people damaged. I also want to know who outed Valerie Plame. And who supplied that Texas retard with the TANG nonsense, if there is anyone, and, if there isn't, charges brought against him as well.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4183527 - 05/16/05 06:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

how many people died because of Abu Ghraib?

Quote:

None.

These photos beg to differ:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom