Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
How to Eliminate Green Mold?
    #4174082 - 05/14/05 09:58 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

it seem that every one of my casing, i get visited by green mold. ive read in the contamination FAQ that
"These fungi indicate that carbohydrates are available, possibly due to inadequate nitrogen supplementation during Phase I or undercomposting. T. viride reportedly produce toxins that dissolve mushroom cells walls. A wet compost low in ammonia prior to pasteurization, flies, poor sanitation, anaerobiosis, and other factors influence green mold."
but what does that mean? how do you provide adequate nitrogen supplemenation during phase I? is this why people ad oyster shell to their casing mix?

at the first sign of green mold, i usually take a spoon and scoop the mold out and replace with new 50/50 which seems to do the trick. but i would like to get rid of it all together.

Edited by gema (05/14/05 10:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: How to Eliminate Green Mold? [Re: gema]
    #4177064 - 05/15/05 01:56 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

That info is for making compost. You don't need to worry about that with casings. People add oyster shells to peat based casings to neutralize the peat's acidic pH.

I would clean everything real well with a 10% bleach solution and try to keep the area around the fruiting chamber clean.

Maybe even spray with a 3%-5% peroxide solution right after casing, then every so often until pins start forming.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: How to Eliminate Green Mold? [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #4177966 - 05/15/05 11:18 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Trichoderma and cobweb will only grow in still, stale, damp air. Air exchange is the key. Keep a supply of fresh air in your growing chamber and trich will be a rare headache. I've also found during the summer months when the trich spore load is very high, you can put a bit of hydrated lime in a salt shaker and lightly shake it on the surface of your casing material. This provides a very high ph zone right were the airborne spores land, preventing germination.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
Re: How to Eliminate Green Mold? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4179149 - 05/15/05 04:48 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the tips guys  :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies