Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
UV to kill/supress green mold contamination.
    #3491712 - 12/13/04 04:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Cool, my first run seemed to be going fine until I noticed one jar with a quarter sized patch of lite-olive-green mold (Penicilin grain mold?). That got me thinking that all my mycelium was just white fuzz mold... ARG.

I took out my iguana UV light, (ReptiGlo 5, best UVA with mild UVB), and treated the area by making a cardboard sheath to cover the good stuff, and left a giant hole where the green mold was. I was just playing around, not expecting it to actually work.

After 12 hours of exposure, I had not noticed any change, and threw it back, in the hopes that the mycelium would still dominate, and I would be able to use this for a spore sample cake, or mycelium sample cake.

One day later, the mold sucked down from a puffy patch, into a thin dark green skin.

Two days later, the mold has collapsed into little green balls, I assume that it is nearly or completely dead. I hope that it just becomes compost for the mycelium.

I am thinking about doing this prior to inoculation, setup in a mirror chamber, as presterilization. (I think the green mold came from the brown rice, when I manually ground it... or from a contam in the jar itself... I got ahead of myself, and did a half-ass job on jar prep, thinking that the pastureization would have killed any stuff. I only boiled for tow hours, not pressure cooked.)

There is also a chance that this may have come from my first incubation chamber... (Don't ask)

I have since killed all light in my incubation chamber, since it only seemed to promote contamination growth. (I have also bumped my temp up to 87F avg. was about 79F avg.)

I will post pics on my mext run, or from my (CONTROL) jars. I made five empty jars, to see if I am getting this contam from my jar method, prior to inoculation.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFerment
Stranger
Loc: NE USA
Re: UV to kill/supress green mold contamination. [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3491786 - 12/13/04 04:45 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'd be worried about growth towards the center of the jar, though if it doesn't grow out afterwards, I guess that's not a problem. Good luck, keep us updated.

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: UV to kill/supress green mold contamination. [Re: Ferment]
    #3491989 - 12/13/04 05:16 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I was thinking about that also... I have no intentions of eating these, I only need spores, as these were started form dried shrooms, that I rehydrated and took spores from... (Who knows what contams I picked up...)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (12/13/04 05:17 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation