Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBirdman
If you catch onfire, do notrun!

Green Mold...CRAP! (PICS) Need Advice
    #1353557 - 03/06/03 01:52 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

OK, I was picking some shrooms this morning and I noticed a couple spots of green mold on my casing. The mold was near where the shrooms were growing. Does this mean the whole casing and the HEALTHY looking shrooms are garbage? Is green mold the same stuff you find on your bread if you leave it out to long? I also took a print from one of these guys...should I ditch that also?

I couldn't get any pics of the mold but here is the group of shrooms. They are all very healty and look fine. The green mold was growing in two spots: on the bottom of the casing and near the roots of the shrooms. Whats the deal...garbage?

--------------------
"Livin' a Juggalo's life"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Green Mold...CRAP! (PICS) Need Advice [Re: Birdman]
    #1353572 - 03/06/03 02:10 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I think you're ok to use those. Harvest the shrooms, cut the infected area, see the size of the contamination, spray with an h2o/h2o2 solution and wait. If the green returns then toss the casing.
About the print, well if you made it before the green made its entrance, you're ok.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineBirdman

Re: Green Mold...CRAP! (PICS) Need Advice [Re: MAIA]
    #1353593 - 03/06/03 02:31 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Two things that are making me feel a bit safe. One is that the green mold was only surface deep, it was not grown into the casing at all. Second is that the mature shrooms (other than the one I cut the cap of off) droped there spores last night. The spores look healthy and purple. (again, not green like the FAQ says thet would look.) I just sprayed with a nice mixture of H202...lets hope it works for another flush. Thanks

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1353667 - 03/06/03 03:44 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The spores look healthy and purple. (again, not green like the FAQ says thet would look.

I think you're missing something, the color of the contamination spores is green indeed but you cannot tell if the sporeprint is contaminated or not just by its color. The problem is that the contamination spores are airborne and can easely attach to the cap, the smallest amount can contaminate a sporeprint and not be seen at all. That can only be veryfied when the sporeprint is used and the spores germinate.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineBirdman

Re: Green Mold...CRAP! (PICS) Need Advice [Re: MAIA]
    #1354520 - 03/06/03 10:29 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

OK..got it MAIA...thanks. But can I conclude that because the spore print is healthy and not green it means that particulart shroom didn't get infected and therefor it is ok to cunsume? Again, is this the same green mold that grows on breed?

--------------------

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#1354893 - 03/06/03 01:07 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

No you can not include that. I dont think you are understanding.

Green mold is called green mold because the spores are green. Mushroom spores are purple. If a mushroom is infected it does not change the spore print to green.

The spore print could be contaminated though....meaning...It will look the same by all indications but when you go to innoculate some jars you will end up with green in the jars. It isn't that the spore print has changed in any way. It is that there are some green mold spores mixed in with the spores from the mushroom.

Does that make sense?

As far as mold on bread. It could be the same mold. It might not be. There are many different types of green mold that you encounter in mushroom growing. Bread mold is one of them. It is almost impossible to decipher exactly which green mold you indeed have.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #1354923 - 03/06/03 01:21 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

What it comes down to ..is..If mold was on any part of the mushroom, casing materials or anypart of the mushroom growing mediums.. consider the mushroom and any prints taken from them CONTAMINATED...

Although they infact may not be CONTAMINATED..It is always better to assume that they are..

--------------------
http://heffter.org

InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

#1355004 - 03/06/03 02:02 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Those are some really nice shrooms ..I have been pickin shrooms fer years and have never found one that was contaminated ...but if there is any contam on those dont eat em..I have never had any that i have grown that had any contams on em and yours look damn nice so bon apetit~..I have the luxury of only pickin the young shrooms outdoors but i look em over really good with high power reading glasses for any little bugs. they really will do a number on your stomache and screw your high up until your stomache acids kill the little basturds.

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

OfflineBirdman

Re: Green Mold...CRAP! (PICS) Need Advice [Re: TxTec]
    #1355091 - 03/06/03 03:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

OK Karen...that makes sence. I thought I read somewhere that the mushrooms actual spore print will have a green tint to it if the shroom was infected with green mold. I was mistaken and that was confusing me. Thanks for dealing with my ignorance. I use all my brain up at work all day then it turns into mush when I get home:-)

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum