Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineflyskimmah
Stranger
Green mold? Still shrooms though...please help
    #3992730 - 03/30/05 11:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I made 12 verm/rice cakes in 1/2 pint jars but before the mycelium took hold completely some green patches that looked like a mold of some sort appeared. It looked like moisture and didn't affect the rest of the mycelium. I left the cakes alone and within a few months they fruited in the jars. After picking the shrooms and drying them they came to almost a quad. Are these safe to consume? They are bluish mostly all over but that could just be from bruising.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: Green mold? Still shrooms though...please help [Re: flyskimmah]
    #3992740 - 03/30/05 11:58 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

was there green in the jars when they fruited?

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?
 Arcade Champion: Maeda Line, Moon Patrol

Loc: Nowhere fast
Re: Green mold? Still shrooms though...please help [Re: flyskimmah]
    #3992747 - 03/31/05 12:01 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Blueing is common from bruising. It'd be my opinion that you should toss any shrooms that came from jars with the green in 'em. Better safe than sorry.. trich is some bad, bad stuff.

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

OfflineAnything4Poppies
Wanderer Who HasCome Home

Re: Green mold? Still shrooms though...please help [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #3992778 - 03/31/05 12:09 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

By quad could you explain further... a 1/4 ounce... a quaP (which you didnt get) could we have some more info

---A4P

--------------------
"What a long, strange trip it's been" --- GD
"I think, Therefore I am." --- Rene Descartes

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
    #3992790 - 03/31/05 12:13 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

well u know u shouldn't eat them.....but I personally would. I wouldn't give them to anyone else though even if they said they didn't care just not ethical. But are you willing to take the risk of getting sick?

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

Offlineflyskimmah
Stranger
Re: Green mold? Still shrooms though...please help [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #3992811 - 03/31/05 12:20 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The green was there through the whole cycle. Some friends who I showed it to thought it was just moisture. I got a 1/4 ounce total. How sick are we talking?

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

Loc: The Other Side
    #3992930 - 03/31/05 12:48 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

My question is.. Is it really?

GREEN MOLD
Trichoderma harzianum, commonly known as green mold, lives in almost every environment on earth. Usually it is no more harmful than any other common fungus, but in 1985, a different, more aggressive form of Trichoderma suddenly appeared in cultivated mushrooms. Growers in Ireland and Britain reported a new strain of green mold in their operations. Scientists in Europe called the new strain Trichoderma harzianum 2 (Th2). By 1994, another virulent variety of green mold, called Th4, had appeared on Pennsylvania mushroom farms, causing crop losses of more than $1 million per year. "We needed to find out why green mold disease suddenly developed to epidemic proportions," explains mushroom scientist Peter Romaine

Uses of Trichoderma
These versatile fungi are used commercially in a variety of ways, including the following: Foods and textiles: Trichoderma spp. are highly efficient producers of many extracellular enzymes. They are used commercially for production of cellulases and other enzymes that degrade complex polysaccharides. They are frequently used in the food and textile industries for these purposes. For example, cellulases from these fungi are used in "biostoning" of denim fabrics to give rise to the soft, whitened fabric--stone-washed denim. The enzymes are also used in poultry feed to increase the digestibility of hemicelluloses from barley or other crops. Biocontrol agents: As noted, these fungi are used, with or without legal registration, for the control of plant diseases. There are several reputable companies that manufacture government registered products. Some of these companies are listed at the end of this web page. This site will not knowingly list any nonregistered products or strains offered for sale in commercial agriculture even though these products are common and their sale is widely ignored by governmental regulatory agencies. Plant growth promotion: For many years, the ability of these fungi to increase the rate of plant growth and development, including, especially, their ability to cause the production of more robust roots has been known. The mechanisms for these abilities are only just now becoming known. Some of these abilities are likely to be quite profound. Recently, we have found that one strain increases the numbers of even deep roots (at as much as a meter below the soil surface). These deep roots cause crops, such as corn, and ornamental plants, such as turfgrass, to become more resistant to drought.

http://mold-help.org/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=431

Surprisingly, another industry that benefits from the enzymes of Trichoderma is the blue jean industry. You probably have heard of stone-washed jeans, or you may even own a pair or two. So you're probably thinking, "hmmmm, stone-washed jeans-- that must mean they hire little old ladies with babushkasTM to beat the jeans against the rocks in the nearby stream." In fact nothing could be farther from the truth. They dump the regular jeans into a large vat of water and add Trichoderma reesii cultures to the mix. The cellulases of the fungus partially (but irregularly) digest the cotton of the jeans, making them soft and appearing that they were washed using stones. In reality, "stone-washed jeans" should be called "fungal-digested jeans." Mycologists may be the only people who would buy jeans called by such a name. However, you probably know that it's all about the marketing. Interestingly, T. reesii was isolated from a decaying tent on the south Pacific island of Samoa.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post3973379

In super high doses, or refgned toxins I can see there being a problem, you don't want it to spread all over, or be exposed for long periods of time, but Trich won't outright kill you, or we'd all be dead.

DG

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

Re: Green mold? Still shrooms though...please help [Re: DerGeist]
    #3993058 - 03/31/05 01:25 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

WELL the way youre describing it... mycelium gives up this yellowish/greenish type waste that looks like little water droplets

thats completely normal and is not contam in any way
if thats what you saw, little water droplets of green/yellow.. all safe :laugh:

then again, only one way to find out.. i say experiment with 1 gram dry and see for urself

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Green mold? Still shrooms though...please help [Re: Colbadol]
    #3993434 - 03/31/05 02:51 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

There are no green molds in mushroom culture that are toxic to humans. You can eat mushrooms off a cake or casing that has trichoderma, aspergillis, cladosporium, pennicillium, etc on it. Don't sniff the spores of any molds, especially black or brown ones, and don't eat mushrooms that are rotten. Bacteria is what will make you sick, not green mold. Trich will only ruin your crop. What you describe is, as stated above metabolyte. It's perfectly normal.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation