Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Green mold again! Agar experts help me!
    #66680 - 11/21/99 10:11 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, you are probably right. Next time, I'm storing the agar jars in a clear plastic bag that is semi-sterile inside. I don't think it's a good idea to have them sitting among the food items, especially when I take them out to take a look at them and place them back in (contamination city since they warm and cool). Recently, I had them out to wipe them off (because some pop slashed on the glass of some of them). I bet they heated up and air escaped. Then when I placed them back in, they probably cooled and sucked in some mold spores from something in the refrigerator.

ShroomGod

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineB.I.O.
old hand
Male User Gallery
    #66681 - 11/22/99 01:49 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

hi shroomgod....

maybe throu the temp difference the agarcontainers sucked air in (light vacuum)
our fridge with greenmoldcheese easyly would spoil all cultures....

BiO.

OfflinePsilowarrior
enthusiast
    #66683 - 11/21/99 10:28 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Now when you say 'sterilize' I hope that you mean in a pressure cooker. Although simple steam sterilization is sufficient for PF style brown rice cakes, grain and seeds will likely still harbor viable competitive spores after steam tratment. For seeds and grain, a pressure cooker is simply a must.

Now if your agar cultures do not have this green mold growing on them then you can eliminate the posibillity that your agar cultures are the source of the contamination. You can also eliminate the possibility that your transfer tool is introducing contamination because if it were you would also contaminate the agar.

You may want to try again and have a couple of jars of substrate serve as a negative controls. One of these jars you don't even open and the other you open and pretend to drop some agar into it. Depending on what hapens you can determine if you are introducing the contaminant or if your substrate is simply not sterile.

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #66684 - 11/22/99 11:27 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Mycelium can indeed hide molds. A completely colonized plate can be invisibly infected with mold spores laying on the surface. The mycelium inhibits much mold growth, but as soon as transfered to new media it explodes.

I had the same problem with some old stored Psilocybe cyanescens plates. Nearly every one grew mold when transfered to fresh agar or grain, even though they looked clean. Time to start again with fresh plates. I now store my plates wrapped tightly with plastic wrap and then placed inside a ziplock bag before refrigeration.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

OfflinePsilowarrior
enthusiast
    #66685 - 11/22/99 11:33 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I spent some time thinking some more about it and I need to recant something I said before. If your agar cultures are completely grown over there may indeed be spores laying on the surface just waiting for the oportunity to grow. The best way to solve this is to keep your mycelial cultures growing. By this I mean constantly innoculating fresh agar with a small chunk from another jar with mycellium. This way you can effectively dilute out any contaminants in you agar culture.

Invisibleshane67
Keeper
    #66686 - 11/27/99 07:52 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Shroom God;

Everytime I have stored petri dishes in the frig. and then tried to use them I go contamination...every single time. So I just stopped doing it...I have had success ever sense.

The Keeper

Anonymous

#66687 - 11/28/99 06:13 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I had this same problem so I bought a small fridge just for my slants. No more mold or pink shit :smile:

Anonymous

#66688 - 11/30/99 11:38 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for all the help, guys. I believe what has happened is that when the jars cooled down in the refrigerator and the air contracted, the jars sucked in contaminated refrigerator air. These mold spores were probably from some moldy thing I have in my refrigerator. The sucked in mold spores are hiding on the surface of the fully-grown agar plates or even the sides of the half pint jar. When they get their chance, they explode with growth.

I think I'll take Psilowarrior's advice and try to expand an tiny piece of mycelium from one of these contaminated agar plates out on clean plates. If it grows clean, then the chances of contamination from this new agar plate are extremely low. Then, using Workman's advice, I'll store these grown-out jars in airtight trashbags with ties. The jars shouldn't contaminate since the interior of the trashbag will be relatively clean compared to my refrigerator, and just to make sure, I'll spray the inside of the bag with lysol.

ShroomGod

OfflineoDin
    #66689 - 11/30/99 12:38 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

give that fridge a good dose of clorox water just to be safe. clorox is unbeatable for mass bug killin.

Anonymous

#66690 - 12/01/99 10:20 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I just had the same thing happen to me not long ago. I now keep my agar dishes and mycilum water in air tight tupperware containers sprayed with clorox disinfecting spray. I have not had the problem since. By the way thanks for the info and your time.

Good Luck
And may the shroom
guide and teach you well

Wild Strain

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates