Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Laminar Flow Hood, pH Test Strips, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetaibensis
Stranger
Loc: Canada
Green Mold Question for EXPERTS
    #3679505 - 01/25/05 09:35 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

A friend's last bulk grow run of 20 bins had failed before the fruiting stage. The substrate was straw spawned with bird seed. A week after spawning the straw from 10 of the bins were fully colonized and healthy (by visual inspection), but the other 5 showed signs of green mold so they were not cased and thrown out. Please note that the 5 contaminated bins were a result of poor bin washing and disinfection from last run. The other 5 bins were newly purchased so they have had no previous green mold contact. The 5 seemingly healthy bins were cased. A week later the all the cased bins were contaminated by green mold. I am clueless as to how this could have happened. My only hypothesis is that green mold spores are well known to spread by air.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRevMax
Stranger
Loc: Earth
Re: Green Mold Question for EXPERTS [Re: taibensis]
    #3679540 - 01/25/05 09:44 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I too recently had a green mold problem, which struck all my jars. I think it might be something that was present from the start, btu just didn't show right away. In fact, even after the green mold had fully taken over some white growth started to come out.

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: Green Mold Question for EXPERTS [Re: RevMax]
    #3682166 - 01/26/05 09:32 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

the 'green' in the mold is actually conidia, or spores. once you see green you can be sure that it's already in the air. and yes, it does spread via air currents very easily... you say that it's a result of poor bin washing but I have a couple questions anyway: how did you prepare your straw? What type of room are these bins in? Give us a few more details about the set up.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3682253 - 01/26/05 10:19 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

As gsmith says, and:

- the green is the spores and YES they spread through the air, they dont have feet or cars! :grin:
- IF you have PC-ed your jars with substrate then no matter if it is used before or not
- Inoculation, also a moment when the green bastards can slip in!
- did you sterilize or pasteurize the straw? If sterlized, you must be VERY clean when spawning and incubating etc. If pasteurized and with slow colonisation green mold has a partyplace as well!
- clean the outside of your jars with alcohol before opening them, there are spores everywhere....

Good luck,
MF

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3682271 - 01/26/05 10:28 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

When the mean green shows it ugly face , it can very easily spread to other trays , and your whole set up .

Do a full clean up of your entire setup before trying again  :thumbup: I know whata pain in the ass , but it is best way to get back in the drivers seat and have some control of where you are going .

GL

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinetaibensis
Stranger
Re: Green Mold Question for EXPERTS [Re: gsmith]
    #3682637 - 01/26/05 12:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The grain jars all colonized well with no signs of abnormal growth. The straw was pasteurized at 175F for 1 hr and spawned the next day. I am confident that the contamination occured after the spawn run was complete, because the straw was fully colonized with aggressive mycelial growth. now, it seems that everyone's been saying that green mold contam spores are very easily airborne. My question now is how long do contam spores survive in dry conditions? Does spraying Lysol into the air and surrounding surfaces sufficient?

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3682678 - 01/26/05 12:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Are we talking to prevent them spray lysol , or to kill existant ones ?

Not much will kill the green once it gets going , with exception of things that will also kill myc .

Yes spraying in the air prior to spawning can and will help some .But if keep having this problem , you may want to get a flow hood , god did that come out of my mouth ? I am becoming buy more tools kinda guy ... oh god help me !

Do you wear gloves when making up trays ? Hands are biggest source of spreading of all sorts of stuff no matter how much you wash them .

Spores can surrvive long periods in dry weather , they wait , they lurk , and when opportunity knocks and conditions are prime , and if they get little competion BAM they wake up a strike with a vengence .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinetaibensis
Stranger
Re: Green Mold Question for EXPERTS [Re: tripndicular]
    #3682844 - 01/26/05 01:37 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Okay so here's the situation. My friend's got 20 bins all infested with green mold. He is going to dump them all out, wash and disinfect with lysol cleaner. The air in the room that's currently housing the bins probably has contam spores floating everywhere. So what do you recommend he do to effectively disinfect the room to be safe again for mushroom culture?

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

#3682880 - 01/26/05 01:45 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

An hour after you cleaned it the spores will eb back from your other rooms when you walk in and out.

You COULD take all stuff out wipe things with alcohol towel. Clean the floor with bleech or rather use:
- spraybottle H2O2
- spraybottle Vinagre

Spray both on the floor and other surfaces (desk, thing in your room, incubator & fruiting tub)... Wait a minute, wipe with CLEAN towel.

Most important clean incubator, clean inoculation, secure "breathingholes".. etc etc

--------------------

Edited by MushroomFriend (01/26/05 01:46 PM)

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
Re: Green Mold Question for EXPERTS [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3682907 - 01/26/05 01:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I use Lysol anti-bacterial wet wipes i got at the local grocery store.  They kill everything you'd ever need to kill  :laser: :hellfire: :machinegun:

Hand sanitizer (Kills 99.99% of germs) to sanitize my hands and needle.  Works like a charm, no contams yet in my short shroom career (8 PF's)

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: Green Mold Question for EXPERTS [Re: tripndicular]
    #3682910 - 01/26/05 01:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tripndicular said:
When the mean green shows it ugly face , it can very easily spread to other trays , and your whole set up .

Do a full clean up of your entire setup before trying again  :thumbup: I know whata pain in the ass , but it is best way to get back in the drivers seat and have some control of where you are going .

GL

Yeah,, thats the only thing I dont like about growing. 95% of the work is cleaning and cleaning sucks.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Re: Green Mold Question for EXPERTS [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3682952 - 01/26/05 02:08 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

:stfu: I dont care junkie, use the REPLY function and talk to the right person... :ass:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Green Mold Question for EXPERTS [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3686055 - 01/27/05 12:02 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Besides the spores being exsistant and airborn...

A lower pH will cause green mold to flourish. Working with straw, a pH balance could help. Theres more info in the FAQ's about it in pasteurizing straw. Also the casing material could have had a lower pH. A pH of 7.5 all the way around will cause mushrooms to flourish but give the mold a hard time.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

#3687021 - 01/27/05 02:54 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hey thats good tips! I knew I did right when I added some calcium to my straw!! :grin:

Thanks SMR.

MF

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Laminar Flow Hood, pH Test Strips, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation