Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineReject
Loc: L'ville
Green mold
    #3289734 - 10/28/04 04:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I had a casing get attacked with a fairly extensive case of green mold while it was fruiting... Only the substrate, mushrooms still grew fine.

are the shrooms still safe to eat?

--------------------
Any and all references to growing are completely facticious, all pictures shown unless specifically stated are stock photographs found via google image search.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineReject
Re: Green mold [Re: Reject]
    #3291285 - 10/28/04 10:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm so glad this got moved to this forum where it will be answered promptly...

Damn it was a simple enough question that it could have been answered in 15 minutes in the main forum but nope, it had something about a contam in it so it had to be here... in a forum no one ever reads.

EDIT: yeah, and I tried searching to... do you have any clue how many posts I see of jars with pics saying "is this green mold??!?!?!?" What the hell does it matter it's not white mycelium, it shouldn't be in the jars toss it out n00b.

EDIT 2: Sorry, I'm just a little sour this was moved cause I would have had my answer by now had it have been left alone.

--------------------
Any and all references to growing are completely facticious, all pictures shown unless specifically stated are stock photographs found via google image search.

Edited by Reject (10/28/04 10:35 PM)

OfflineMoxemerald
Executive

Loc: NJ
    #3291783 - 10/29/04 12:28 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Im not so sure bro, I would tell ya if i knew...

If they look allright, I'd say go for it (haha but dont hold me responsible for anythign that goes wrong)

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#3293098 - 10/29/04 11:03 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think your biggest risk isn't with the mushrooms themselves, but the exposure to yourself while harvesting or fanning. If a casing has any degree of green mold, even opening the container will get those mold spores flyin'. After this tray is done, there will be mold spores EVERYWHERE. Inside the terrarium, outside the terrarium, on your clothes, in your hair, on the floor/carpet, you'd be amazed at how well spores travel.

The short answer to your question is 'No one knows'. There are a lot of variables. You say 'green mold'. Is it Penicillium? Aspergillus? Trichoderma? Which species of these?? Do you have any known allergies? This is a real unknown area, and so over-caution is warranted. SOME species of Penicillium/Aspergillus [some cases of 'green mold'] produce mycotoxins. These have been studied a lot in agriculture, as animals ingest a certain amount from the bulk-stored grains. We aren't worried about actually eating stored grain, of course, but can mycelium absorb these toxins? If they do, do they break it down? Concentrate it in the fruitbody? If they did concentrate it in the fruitbody, would the few grams of dried material consumed represent an exposure?
At present, these are all unknown. There are so many different contams, even amongst the 'green molds', it's impossible to say what's definitely safe or not. It's even more impossible because reactions are going to vary from person to person. Just fanning a moldy casing can put some people in the hospital.

So it's impossible to accurately answer your question. It wouldn't be responsible of us to say 'go for it, you'll be fine'. Personally, I have eaten mushrooms off of some nasty substrate in my younger years.

OfflineReject
Re: Green mold [Re: Suntzu]
    #3293151 - 10/29/04 11:27 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

okay... thanks...

I said green mold becuase it was a greenish color... but I'm not sure what exactly it was. I pretty sure I know exactly what happened to cause the problem though, I didn't PC or boil the water or anything that I used to make up the casing mix, so that is probably where the contams came from.

I've gone ahead and harvested everything out of the terrarium that was grown so far, and basically emptied an entire can of lysol into the terrarium and in all area surrounding it that I worked, as well as washed the clothes I was wearing at the time.

I haven't had any problems so far as far as sickness or allergies go since I did that yesterday morning (I had already harvested the mushrooms at that time I asked the question... was just debating whether to dry and save or throw away).

I'm guessing they are safe, because the only problem they had while growing is some closest to the patch were growing slightly deformed, they looked normal except they weren't growing straight up... so I threw those out.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum