Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

I dislike myself.
    #4108523 - 04/28/05 07:41 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I've concluded that I do not like myself. I do self-destructive things because of this. I can get angry, anxious, etc. I also sometimes take drugs to solve this problem temporarily, however lately I've been working on not using.

As long as I dislike myself, I will continue to relapse. I just can't figure out how to make that switch and just love myself. Why? I had a good upbringing and great parents that were very supportive. But I brought on a lot of this shit myself.

I always outcasted myself, and let people step all over me in school. Although I've grown a lot, I still have a lot of self-hate eating away at me. Now, mostly the only person who steps all over me and makes me feel bad, is me.

Does anyone have any advice? How can I begin to change? What can I do to start loving myself? I also want to say that it's true that you cannot love someone else if you don't love yourself, and I get very lonely from not being able to connect.

I have good friends which have similar experiences. Why is it that the friends who had horrible parents and bad upbringings, who went through the same shit, found a way out? I just am having trouble breaking the cycle. Please, someone tell me where I should start. I'm sure that someone in here has some similar experience to speak from.

Thanks in advance for reading.

Edited by poke smot! (09/07/20 01:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: I dislike myself. [Re: poke smot!]
    #4108556 - 04/28/05 07:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Man, are we the same person? I wish I had an answer for you.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4108610 - 04/28/05 08:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

This is very tricky...I wrote a whole post and then deleted it because I'm not sure what I can say that would be helpful.  Plus I'm running a high fever but here goes...

Learning to love yourself is one of the hardest things anyone can ever do.  I believe that many people go through life without loving or liking themselves, and many of them simply accept it without question. 

The fact that you are aware of yourself enough to KNOW that you want to evoke a change in your life gives you an advantage.  You're off to a great start simply by writing this post. 

My own self-image seems to be on a continous rollarcoaster.  One day I love myself and think I am doing well, the next day I can't stand to be me.  My problem is guilt.  I feel guilty for things that I've done and even things that I haven't done.  So I put myself through a constant state of blame. 

Poke Smot...I think one thing needs to be said.  It was said to me by a spirit on an Ayahuasca trip, and I think the same thing applies to you too.  "You are an okay person."  I know I'm just saying this based on your posts on the net, but I feel it is true. 

I think everyone has aspects of themselves that they dislike.  It's our shadows, the part of us that we don't want to (or are too scared to) think about.  My only advice is to find out what exactly you dislike about yourself.  Pinpoint the problem, and then you can start healing the wound.  It might also be beneficial to think about what you LIKE about yourself.  Everyone has bad and good qualities.

One thing that has helped me improve my self-image is exercise.  You'd be surprised how true the phrase "healthy body, healthy mind," really is.  I don't know if you exercise or not, but just working out on a regular basis might help.  Also I found that forcing myself to think and speak slower assisted in some of the communication problems I was having.  (still have, but getting better)

Please remember not to blame yourself for feeling this way.  The blame only swallows up the healing.  It doesn't matter how you GOT to feeling that way.  Right now, all that matters is that you CAN take action and start to make changes.  It's easier said then done, but it can be done.  Be gentle with yourself as this will be a gradual and continous process. 

I wish we could all love ourselves like we want to love another.  :heart:

Good luck.  :sun:

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: I dislike myself. [Re: MOTH]
    #4108719 - 04/28/05 08:41 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
I wish we could all love ourselves like we want to love another.  :heart:

If that's not the quote of the century then I don't know what is. You get 5 shrooms for that.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
    #4108780 - 04/28/05 08:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

beautiful words Ellemysh

--------------------
]

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: I dislike myself. *DELETED* [Re: MOTH]
    #4109451 - 04/29/05 12:29 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #4109649 - 04/29/05 02:06 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

simple pleasures, bro.... take the time to figure out all the little things, maybe which soap feels best on your skin. seriously, just try that for starters.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Re: I dislike myself. [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #4110692 - 04/29/05 11:05 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

EllemyshShade... Mobius shakes head vigorously in agreement. Touching man, very touching.

CosmicJoke... For real. Simple pleasures is what it's all about my man. Learning to enjoy small things makes the big things that much bigger.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4110828 - 04/29/05 11:38 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Poke, I'm going to tell you that most people feel the way you do to one degree or another. You are not alone here. In the end you will have to find your own way to unconditional self acceptance.

I really didn't start loving myself as I was, ( and that is the key) until I reached my 49th year. Yet I knew what my problem was to some degree when I was 18 to 20. I had to do alot of living and suffering to prepare me for the change which changed everything.

OK, I'm going to share what may work for you. You and I and everyone are different and timing is everything. So if this doesn't make sense just disregard it. You will need 2 days to yourself alone. More is better if you can. You need a warm comfortable dark room with a comfortable place to lie down and a full length pillow. No music or sound at all. You will need to find 2 hits of pure XTC. You need to purchase a book called. The Handbook to Higher Consciousness, by Ken Keyes. Don't let the title scare you. It's very short, and will give you in a couple of pages everything you need to hear when you are in an open state. Now take one hit of XTC, get naked and get comfortable with the bed and pillow. Take the time to think about everything thats wrong and everything you feel. Tell yourself the whole truth. After 1 hour, take one half to all of the other hit. Depends on body weight. If you're slight 1/2 will do, if its  pure. Try to get the real deal. Then let what ever happens happen. Don't try for anything. When you start to come down, start reading the book. Later take a long walk alone in a beatiful woods if possible.  Then just kick back and let life take over. :heart: :mushroom2: This technique is no joke. Yet it will not work for everyone the same.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4111308 - 04/29/05 01:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

poke smot! said:
It makes me feel better knowing that I am aware of this, and that is a head start on going in the right direction.

Indeed it is. I can't add much to Ellemy's posting except to wish you good luck on your journey...

:thumbup:

Invisiblereflectedlight
in town untilthe blood flows
 User Gallery

Loc: aether
    #4111346 - 04/29/05 01:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Have compassion for yourself and your mistakes, and have compassion for others who suffer with you. Have faith that things will get better, and try your hardest to make them better, improve yourself, your abilities. <This is what I'm trying to do to end my self destructive pattern. I hope you pull through. : )

--------------------
at this point i think we can be relatively certain seperation exists as a fallacy of finite perception, and the only barrier to infinite creativity is a preimposed notion of certainty and artificial conditioning. nothing is without origin

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4112537 - 04/29/05 08:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Stop caring so much, take a step back and relax for a while. Stop trying to like yourself, and love yourself. To try anything implies uncertainty, just "do".

Stop doing drugs for those reasons; stop beating yourself up, their is no reason to... unless you somehow believe that you are wrong as a person, and blame yourself for everything that befalls you.

Change your opinion of the world, and yourself, and change your beliefs to fit yourself, or adhere to your self-destruction fully. Either will work, one is a lot more beneficial.

Learn better ways to cope, be yourself, and let it flow.

If sometimes you feel yourself little, useless, offended and depressed, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm in your group. - anon of ibid

There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and (will) be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is; nor how valuable it is; nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others. Martha Graham, to Agnes DeMille

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: I dislike myself. *DELETED* [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4112616 - 04/29/05 09:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4112757 - 04/29/05 09:58 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

poke smot! said:
I love you guys, I have hope that things will get better. I need to start doing things for myself again.

That right there says a lot, man. You're going to pull out of this one.  :heart:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4112971 - 04/29/05 10:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

poke smot! said:
I love you guys, I have hope that things will get better. I need to start doing things for myself again.

Great! Blessings and Love. :thumbup: :heart: :smile:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Loc: close enough to get mysel...
Re: I dislike myself. [Re: Icelander]
    #4114115 - 04/30/05 09:09 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

thats a great statement to make.

i had to move to a different state and start over with next to nothing to learn how to do things for myself after all these years. this is not to say i dont still have a few issues lying about, but i feel better physically (especially since i got back in shape) and mentally than i have in years.

no scratch that. better than ever.

good luck man.

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: I dislike myself. *DELETED* [Re: starseed1066]
    #4114247 - 04/30/05 09:59 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #4114502 - 04/30/05 11:56 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
One thing that has helped me improve my self-image is exercise. You'd be surprised how true the phrase "healthy body, healthy mind," really is. I don't know if you exercise or not, but just working out on a regular basis might help.

I have to agree with this completely. When I was younger I was full of insecurity about myself and I did not feel a great deal of self worth. I began lifting weights religiously and it has changed my life forever. Once you see how your hard work is paying off you will realize the power and control you have over your life. You will feel good about what you accomplished. I just got back from running at the park and there is no greater high in the world than the natural one your body gives you after intense exercise. Everything just falls into place.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: I dislike myself. [Re: PowerTrip]
    #4114611 - 04/30/05 12:34 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I really need to get myself in better shape. poke smot!.....I struggle with a lot of the same shit, trust to yourself, know that you're a good person....you'll make it, no matter how fucked up this world is and this shitty this world seems to treat you. Faith & hope, along with hard work to keep healthy, mentally physically and spiritually will bring you to your potential...keep telling yourself that and believe it, that's what gets me through the downward spirals.  :sun: :peace:

--------------------

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
    #4130303 - 05/03/05 10:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Why is it that the friends who had horrible parents and bad upbringings, who went through the same shit, found a way out?

They were forced to start earlier on a solution. :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order