Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineOmEgAx1
Stranger
Theory to explain the manifestation of visual hallucinations
    #4093812 - 04/24/05 11:50 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Alright for some odd reason I suddenly came up with a theory to explain the reason you get visual hallucinations on certain substances, which has yet to be explained. There are several parts to this theory and its lengthy so Ill just try to cover it point by point, each point in itself may be true or false but they are inter-related though proving one false doesnt necessaraly mean the others are... and covers more than just the idea of visual hallucinations... so let me shoot...

Your field of view has constant static. This is a fact. If you try really hard you can look at a blank surface and in the background is static nott much different than that of a TV set with no reception. You can see this more clearly by either closing your eyes or sitting in a pitch black room. I could come up with hundreds of reason for the cause of it but its irrelevant. You can notice unique patterns in TV static with enough focus, and no 2 people will percieve the same patterns. I theorize when you dream, its simply another function of your brain, basically a function working on abstract thoughts and such on a different brain wave frequency, your mind percieves this static, easily creating patterns out of this static eventually being percieved as full images. Note when you dream your eye "twitches", im saying you may actually be literally looking at different areas, your mind creating images from the patterns it percieves from this static.

When you dream, there are noticable brain wave patterns that shut off and others that turn on to induce the state of dreaming. In a dream there is a sense of extreme time dilation, that is, a dream may seem to last hours though in reality it probably only was 5 minutes.

When you consume a hallucinogenic substance, I theorize it artificially activates the dream perception and abstract thought processes of the brain in one way or another, but without shutting down the concious thought processes. One point to this is brain wave readings during hallucinations have increases in the type of brain waves seen during a dreaming state of mind. Another point is the severe time dilation, also seen in dreaming. Yet another point is your thought process patterns during a trip is very akin to that when you are dreaming with one key difference, the inclusion of concious thought.

So if your dream state is switched on, which creates images from the static we see, and your concious thought is still on as well, you could infer that the process for visual perception combines the ideas of the dream visuals with that of the concious field of view, and the blending of these 2 visual inputs bring what is a hallucination. With very high doses of hallucinogens however, the concious visual field is superceded by the dream visual field, losing all sense of reality, but concious thought is still fully functioning, while a very intense state of dream is also activated. This would explain the effects of different potency of hallucinogens to the effects it has.

One idea to explain the reasoning for different forms of visual hallucinations with diferent hallucinogens would simply be its chemical makeup affecting different areas of the thought processes and different states of dream basically.

I am, however, not suggesting that a trip is simply your dream mode turned on, but im suggesting it is a very large portion of the mental processes happening during a trip.

I dont know how or why but this entire theory came to me instantly during a trip, I was very suprised at the depth of detail of it all that I hadnt even conciously thought about.

Let me know what you guys think, maybe theres something big here, and maybe some of the points can be reworked to be more representative of the actual process.

Edited by OmEgAx1 (04/24/05 11:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Theory to explain the manifestation of visual hallucinations [Re: OmEgAx1]
    #4093827 - 04/24/05 11:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:shrug: They're just drugs with cool special effects :wink:.

I'd look more into neuro-chemistry, and possible effects of the chemicals on the physical processes occuring (in terms of visuals) before elaborating any further on meta-physical reasoning.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineOmEgAx1
Stranger
Re: Theory to explain the manifestation of visual hallucinations [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4093941 - 04/25/05 12:29 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

One thing to note is brainwave readings of those who are tripping have increased levels in all areas...

Slight increases in Beta waves (associated with normal, waking consciousness)
very slight increases in Delta waves (found during deep dreamless sleep)

But a greater increase in Alpha waves (dominant in certain kinds of meditation, associated with calm, lucid mental states)
and Theta waves (Found in states of deep relaxation, also associated with bursts of creative insight, twilight "sleep" learning and vivid mental imagery)

So brain wave readings show that basically a dream state is induced while retaining (even slightly enhancing) the concious state of mind.
We need some neuro experts in this thread!

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4093950 - 04/25/05 12:33 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:yesnod: Also... think of the resulting chemical increases and alterations made by the body as a result of both states.

Theirs a correlation to chemicals released while your sleeping to your brain waves....

You can also bring up extreme cases of insomnia where people hallucinate as a result of the lack of sleep. It's working on the same underlying principles (massive visual and psychological hallucinations occur as a result of not sleeping over an extended period of time).

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

#4093970 - 04/25/05 12:42 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I like this. Be careful though, stare at T.V. static long enough and your mind will try to mesh with it, and that shit hurts physically. Especially when you consider that television is a mental interface designed to control your mind.

It has long been my theory that television brainwashing works because it actually melds with your thoughts, and then takes them where they want them to go.

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Theory to explain the manifestation of visual hallucinations [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4093975 - 04/25/05 12:45 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Care to expand on your theory?

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

OfflineOmEgAx1
Stranger
Re: Theory to explain the manifestation of visual hallucinations [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4093983 - 04/25/05 12:49 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Actually TV static is just the collective reception of all the radiation of the universe, possibly the static in your field of view is caused by the same thing, so you could argue that dreams and hallucinations are manifestation of cosmic radiation, so a TV could induce what you might deem "mind control" though its just a reflection of what you are already percieving every living moment of your life, another far shot theory, but I think it has some merit.

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4093989 - 04/25/05 12:52 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Better off looking to neuro-semantics, and memetics.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

OfflineSmallworlds

#4094030 - 04/25/05 01:18 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:
Care to expand on your theory?

Sure. On television we are presented with scenes of how "they" say life should be. On the news, our opinions are handed to us through subtile mental coersion. We are allowed to take sides on "issues", but we are constantly offered viewpoints presented as if they are to be taken for granted. example: "drugs are bad".

Sitcoms are the absolute worst, we are shown actual scenes of "life in progress", and we are expected to assume that these showcases are accurate representations of how we should want to live. We are even told when something is supposedly funny (laugh tracks), when a tragedy has occured (somber music plays), and so we are told what to think about various situations.

Now here comes the technical part. I'm sure you have observed how television is hypnotic. If someone is watching TV, often you might have to speak to them several times before they finally rip their minds away from the TV to answer you. This is no accident. They have made the devices hypnotic so that you can mesh your thoughts with them. And then, you either go along with the brainfuck, or you resist. But, since resisting is not "entertaining", no one usually does. They just go along with it, and even if they realize they are being fucked with, they usually just consider themselves in control, and continue to be brainwashed.

Television is responsible for the erosion of free thought in America, the populace has been drugged without drugs, and is in an Opiated state.

This is also why the gov't is so dead set against marijuanna and other mind opening drugs. They render the brainwashing techniques useless. The shit you hear on TV starts sounding queer and you start laughing when the laugh track isn't playing.

--------------------

Trip Report

OfflineOmEgAx1
Stranger
Re: Theory to explain the manifestation of visual hallucinations [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4094059 - 04/25/05 01:35 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I actually have to agree with most of what you said there exceept a few things...

"They have made the devices hypnotic so that you can mesh your thoughts with them. "

Its been proven that you have less brain activity while you are watching TV than while you are asleep, so its not that you are being hypnotized into thoughts, its that you are being put into basically a supid mind set thats just absorbing information as its given without even processing it.

You also have to understand that television entertainment is more about profit than to control you. Television stations have nothing to gain by brainwashing you, but alot to gain by manipulating your feelings and emotions to entertain you so the television stations get payed for the commercials. The government itself is not an evil congregation out to control you, what does the government have to gain? You have to understand the government isnt this overwhelming singular entity, its made up of individuals like you and me, but theres also a catch to all of this, the rediculasly rich, "old money", who have immesurable influence on government. THEY have everything to gain by brainwashing you into thinking that its perfectly fine for you to live a meager life while they live lives that dont come close to comparing, and to make sure their family and the next generations have the same benefits without question from the general population. 1% of the population controls 40% of the assets? Heres an example of the rich controling government in policy making for their benefit without question from the general population...

Anywhere in the US you pay taxes, and depending on how much money you make, you are taxed accordingly. Each state has its own income brackets for taxes, but they all have one thing in common. At a certain level of income, every dollar made above it is tax free! The argument for it is that if the tax brackets were not capped, the GDP of the nation would drop 3% and the economy would spiral into the most severe depression... but hold on a second! Why dont you uncap the taxes and then lower the tax rates accordingly to keep the actual governments income from tax about even, having people fairly pay their taxes as they should, while giving normal people like you and me much greater spending power, creating an economic boom?
If the tax brackets were extended to all the high income ranges, and kept constant at a certain level, the general population would pay a FRACTION of the taxes they do now, Im talking 3% rather than 30%!
Think about that.

EDIT: I take the tax example of the rich influencing government decisions back, though my Economics teacher who has a degree in economics taught us specifically that there is a tax cap, I cant seem to find a refrence to it online. May be because the data is false, or its information filtering from the rich :P
But it would make sense, because if all the people with billions a year personal income payed 35% taxes, the federal government would have a rediculas surplus of money, which I dont see. Any economics buffs here??

Edited by OmEgAx1 (04/25/05 01:48 AM)

OfflineSmallworlds

#4094077 - 04/25/05 01:48 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

You also have to understand that television entertainment is more about profit than to control you. Television stations have nothing to gain by brainwashing you, but alot to gain by manipulating your feelings and emotions to entertain you so the television stations get payed for the commercials. The government itself is not an evil congregation out to control you, what does the government have to gain?

They all benefit. Corporations profit through the products you are brainwashed into thinking you need, and the government gets to bomb Iraq while most people are out buying Snickers bars.

It's a whole system of manipulation. I don't know why they decided on this other than that they couldn't get around the constitution so they try to make us want the shit we're served.

--------------------

Trip Report

OfflineOmEgAx1
Stranger
    #4094082 - 04/25/05 01:51 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

What does the government gain by bombing Iraq? Again you refer to it as a singular entity which its not, though the rich may have to gain from the bombing of Iraq.

But I understand what you are saying, and I agree for the most part, but my views are just slightly off shoot from yours.

Personally, I dont watch TV anwyays :P

OfflineSmallworlds

#4094086 - 04/25/05 01:54 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I love it when politicians say "The polls indicate that the people are against this, but we're gonna do the "right thing" anyway." :lol:

I thought that in a government "By the people, for the people, of the people." the "right thing" would be what the people say to do.

Congress is no longer representitives, but each little mini-dictators 3 days after the elections are over. Then we wait years for another election day to take those "bad" representitives out, and put in a new "good" one, and 3 days later, the cycle continues...

--------------------

Trip Report

OfflineSmallworlds

#4094103 - 04/25/05 02:01 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

OmEgAx1 said:
What does the government gain by bombing Iraq? Again you refer to it as a singular entity which its not, though the rich may have to gain from the bombing of Iraq.

But I understand what you are saying, and I agree for the most part, but my views are just slightly off shoot from yours.

Personally, I dont watch TV anwyays :P

It really is a singular entity, but don't ask me who's pulling the strings. Some say it's the freemasons, others say it's the jews, the Islamics say it's satan. I don't care, all I know is that the U.S. has been subdued, and it goes all the way back to the assassination of JFK.

A big step closer towards world domination is what the government gains by bombing Iraq.

I don't watch T.V. "programming" either. But I watch movies on a TV, which are usually strangely mind-opening and genuinely funny.

--------------------

Trip Report

OfflineOmEgAx1
Stranger
    #4094106 - 04/25/05 02:02 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The government always had that mind frame since day 1. Hence the reason for the initial creation of the electoral college.

OfflineSmallworlds

#4094131 - 04/25/05 02:15 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The "singualritry of the government" also can be shown like this:

They made the game, designed the pieces, made the rules, and said "lets play".

When we (the people) "play", we can choose from numerous different strategies, or "moves", but we have to play the game like it is.

We have "freedom" only within the boundries, much as a dog is free to wander the length of its chain, or a fish swims "freely" within it's fishtank. It is these universal "boundries" which I refer to as a "singularity of government". We cannot ever achieve our true limitless potential as a human race if we do not tear down these stupid "frameworks" and live, think, and teach real freedom.

--------------------

Trip Report

OfflineOmEgAx1
Stranger
    #4094195 - 04/25/05 03:26 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

And Im still saying its not the government thats the problem, its the 1% that owns 40% of the GDP and want to keep it that way :P government is simply their puppet.

InvisibleeMotionALLmotion
DivineeMotive....

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
    #4095966 - 04/25/05 04:21 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I have a question about this orginal topic....  :grin:
OK, so I am currently sleep deprived, and stuff is a little "fuzzy"....  I can stare at something, and eventually it will kinda~ fade away into a "static-E" blob of one solid color (not really "static-E")....  I am not perceptually or consciously trying to change what I am looking at, it just starts to fade until it is gone....  I am under the influence of nothing but lack of sleep.... 
So, what happens in this state of mind if I were to introduce a psychedelic....?    Would it give the ability for perceptual manipulation thru heightening different brainwave patterns....?    Or would the ability be lost because seemingly only half of my brain seems to be really functioning....?    I am not too personable at the moment due to this mental "state", as the tele-sales person could vouch for - which is not my "normal" personallity....  Which I am thinking might be a negative for such an experiment (mood/set/setting/etc.).... 
Before I start babbling endlessly, has anyone tried this, and what were the results....? 

:sun::heartpump::sun:

--------------------
Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

InvisibleeMotionALLmotion
DivineeMotive....

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
Re: Theory to explain the manifestation of visual hallucinations [Re: eMotionALLmotion]
    #4096054 - 04/25/05 04:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Oh, HELLO EVERYONE....!    I missed this place and personallities, but it was nice to be away as well.... 
A lot of REALLY cool people out there in this world, yes indeed....  :sun:

--------------------
Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Theory to explain the manifestation of visual hallucinations [Re: eMotionALLmotion]
    #4096182 - 04/25/05 05:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It'd heighten your perceptions as a result of using sleep deprevation in conjunction with hallucinogens.

You'd also be more prone to lunacy when the two states coincide with each other. If you try it, make sure you stay home :tongue:.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale