Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Wow, could this explain some things about tripping?
    #2170750 - 12/09/03 02:46 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

here is a little passage from a physics book i have. it seems to me to possibly be able to explain some of what happens during a psychedelic experience :

The human eye detects only very small portions of existing electromagnetic waves -- only those which vibrate between 400 trillion and 750 trillion times a second. If we could see all electromagnetic waves for just one minute, our entire concept of the physical universe would be drastically changed. We wake up in the morning and worry about how we look in terms of visible light waves, but what about other electromagnetic waves? A person might be handsome or beautiful when viewed by regular light, but might appear different when viewed by other EM waves.

combined with the fact that in scientific studies, psilocybin in very small doses has been proven to enhance vision. (i got that fact from a terrence mckenna speech)

This leads me to form a hypothesis:

Psilocybin in larger doses enables the human eye to detect EM waves that vibrate below 400 trillion times per second or above 750 trillion times per second, or both.

- This could explain why you look different or ugly to yourself when u look in the mirror while tripping. It could also explain the visual distortions and the fact that during the trip, your concept of the physical unviverse is drastically changed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Wow, could this explain some things about tripping? [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #2170764 - 12/09/03 02:53 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Actually I doubt that's possible :smirk:

You can't change what frequency spectrum the human eye is sensitive to with drugs, as far as I know, as the frequency response is photochemical dependant (specific chemicals to respond to specific frequencies).

I think the enhanced vision is due to the brain's processing of the visual input - much less is being filtered out, so there is more information available for detail in the image.

One another note...wow man. I brought this subject up today with my younger brother, almost exactly the same as your physics book put it.

Human consciousness is based largely upon the visual input, in fact vision takes precidence over all other senses. Human vision, however, is only sensitive to quite a small chunk of the entire EM spectrum. So our consciousness is based almost entirely on a very small portion of what constitutes "physical reality".

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: Wow, could this explain some things about tripping? [Re: trendal]
    #2170778 - 12/09/03 08:35 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I think it might be possible that EM waves are filtered out of visions too, because perhaps that mode of perception wasn't useful for our survival.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #2170967 - 12/10/03 11:30 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Although perception (sensory imput) and awareness itself has an obvious correspondance with the brain/nervous system/body, awareness is not synonymous with it. Consciousness is NOT the body. If any physics analogy can be used, consciousness is more like a 'field effect,' like the lines of force surrounding a simple magnet. The lines of force are not identical to the iron atoms.

The perceptual changes are of course due to the changed nature of the neurotransmission of information at the electrochemical level, due to the presence of psilocybin or whatever psychedelic, but the human proprioreceptors do not mutate into a new form alowing the perception of other ranges of electromagnetic energy. We still only visually perceive visible light - even though psilocybin does enhance night vision. The subtle nuances, perception of fleeting microexpressions on peoples' faces, the 'feeling' or intuition of pleasant/unpleasant 'vibrations' from a person while on psychedelics, all refer to our psyche. Our psyches operate multidimensionally, but usually our "reducing valves," as Aldous Huxley called the psychic mechanism of censure, only allows perceptions that are important to our immediate physical survival.

Seeing angels morph into devils in the clouds (like M.C. Escher's mandala 'Angels and Bats") is a matter of our psyche's projection of unconscious material onto a neutral screen. Looking in the mirror does the same thing. Beauty/ugliness, real vs. ideal self image, perceptions of change, colored by fears of old age, decrepitude, death, decay are some of the contents that underlie the Buddhist path - after Siddhartha's realization of these things. A mirror can be useful, not something to be shunned on trips. Outer appearance can manifest much of one's inner life. 'Cleanliness is next to Holiness [or Godliness]' for example. Finding inner beauty colors one's outer appearance, while seeing outer ugliness might mean self-loathing. When I was desparate to find a woman after my divorce, I chased women away. When I calmed down and rebuilt my inner life, and radiated a new confidence, I began to attract women - beautiful women. I looked physically the same. As it is said in Yoga of the nature of phenomena: "The inner projects the outer." Peace.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Wow, could this explain some things about tripping? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2176332 - 12/14/03 07:23 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

:eek:

OfflineDivine_Madness

Loc: The Netherlands
    #2176894 - 12/14/03 01:35 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Hm, what suprises me, is that these scientist seem to completly miss the link between aura's and these 'unseen' electromagnetic waves..

--------------------
its all placebo

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: Wow, could this explain some things about tripping? [Re: Divine_Madness]
    #2176917 - 12/14/03 01:44 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

One thing I noticed on my last mushroom trip is that everything looked more 3d, as in when moving my head from side to side, it was almost as if I could see the beams of light reflecting off of my surroundings.. neat effect actually..

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
    #2176918 - 12/14/03 01:44 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

One thing I noticed on my last mushroom trip is that everything looked more 3d, as in when moving my head from side to side, it was almost as if I could see the beams of light reflecting off of my surroundings.. neat effect actually..

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #2177727 - 12/14/03 08:17 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Divine_Madness said:
Hm, what suprises me, is that these scientist seem to completly miss the link between aura's and these 'unseen' electromagnetic waves..

I'm actually in the (very long) process of putting together some legitimate scientific research & publications on connections between the brain, consciousness, mental disorders, electromagnetic waves, and paranormal abilities. Like you, I'm surprised that none of the "experts" in these fields can make these connections that me & my stoner friends come up with out of our asses.

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

Edited by Renegade420 (12/14/03 08:19 PM)

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Wow, could this explain some things about tripping? [Re: Renegade8]
    #2177768 - 12/14/03 08:36 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Um, are you rinsing these connections off as they emerge???

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
Re: Wow, could this explain some things about tripping? [Re: Frog]
    #2177796 - 12/14/03 08:48 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
Um, are you rinsing these connections off as they emerge???

Nah, that takes all the fun out of it.  :tongue:

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Wow, could this explain some things about tripping? [Re: Renegade8]
    #2181742 - 12/16/03 04:52 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbup:

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: Wow, could this explain some things about tripping? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2182760 - 12/16/03 02:16 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
consciousness is more like a 'field effect,' like the lines of force surrounding a simple magnet. .

oh, of course, consciousness = stink lines.

thanks for clearing that up  :rolleyes:

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract