Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Guilt
    #4074776 - 04/19/05 11:41 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I've done something terrible today.

I had done some busking downtown with my violin, and made 15$ (Canadian) in an hour. My town is 5000 people small, with about 2000 university students added to that. Mount Allison, a famous Canadian undergraduate university is in my town.

I had made the acquaintance of a dealer who went to college. He was a nice guy, he saw me busking today and he was friendly as usual. Seemed like a friend.

Later, I used the money to get drunk. I went to this dealer's apartment with 10 dollars in my hand, hoping to buy a gram. I knock and there's no answer.

I had had dreams about taking the huge bag of dope I knew this guy had hidden in a drawer.

I knocked more, then opened the door to yell if anyone was home. no answer still, so mustering my courage I entered, and opened the drawer. I see two large bags, and grab each one after the other, taking a small handful of weed and stuffing it into my pocket. I hurry out.

Now, I've only met tihs guy twice but I feel pretty guilty. Thing is, I had fantasized recently about getting a bunch of dope for free, since I've been broke and croaking for pot lately. I got about 1/4 ounce from my dealer. stolen. I feel bad, but not too bad obviously, since I had done it in full knowledge of the deed. But the fact that he was a nice guy pains me.

People steal from each other, even from so-called friends, and I guess I'm one of those assholes. Someone stole a pounch of tobacco from me recently in fact.

This is my sordid tale.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Guilt [Re: Gog]
    #4074863 - 04/20/05 12:02 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Don't feel guilty about it, just realize that it only begets itself, and if you continue enough, you'll have no guilt. Don't know what to say, but seems to me that you justify it well enough on your on behalf as you seem to do it frequently enough.

Stop doing it, or continue doing it if you can justify your actions on the basis of your desires (although, I don't believe in it)... You only feel guilt because you believe it to be wrong, so either change your sense of what is right and wrong, or adhere to them; either way, get off the guilt trip and do something about it :smile:

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Offlinesignoffate
Only Human
Loc: Where is here?
    #4074969 - 04/20/05 12:30 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

For your sake I hope he doesn't read shroomery... but for his, I hope he does!

Man, if you were the dealer getting screwed by a 'friend'... would you even be considering the thief's guilt, or just hoping for a chance to get even?
The deed is done, you can now cheat your way out of the consequenses or ask for forgiveness. Enjoy the test.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4075005 - 04/20/05 12:41 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Now, I've only met tihs guy twice but I feel pretty guilty.

Guilt is a worthless emotion that precludes any change or action. Make things right, no matter the cost and you will feel a hundred times better. Can't face the guy? Then mail the stuff back to him.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Guilt [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4075830 - 04/20/05 06:05 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Psy, that was a very good post.  :thumbup: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: Guilt [Re: Icelander]
    #4076469 - 04/20/05 12:18 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I've never stolen anything from anyone before - fact.

Anyway, it was only about 7 or 8 grams of bottom of the bag, low-grade weed; probably worth 30 bucks, 40 at the most. Plus, he's a dealer, so I really doubt he lost any money in actuality.

These are my rationalizations anyway, but last night I was feelin' more guilty, I still do but I'm quite happy to have the weed when looking at it from a sober perspective. And, I hardly know the guy so it's not I like stabbed a friend.

It's all good. I enjoy the test.

Muahahahahaah

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

#4076493 - 04/20/05 12:27 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Might as well expand on the topic of guilt since this is mostly a thinking forum area.

Guilt: a response to a deed the doer does and views as bad, and morally wrong. Theft, promiscuity, lying, all these things that twist and tamper with good things like truth, generosity, and sincerity. Aye.

Like a fish hooked by the fisher he gobbles

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #4076910 - 04/20/05 02:14 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Some kiddie did that, that I knew.

He was promptly beaten by the local dealer group and their friends, never to be seen in town since!

--------------------

OfflineNewAgeDiciple
Follower of One

Re: Guilt [Re: Ego Death]
    #4076966 - 04/20/05 02:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Repent! Repent!

Go correct your errors child.

Your prize awaits you.

--------------------
Smile, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle -philo of Alexandria

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Guilt [Re: NewAgeDiciple]
    #4077308 - 04/20/05 04:18 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Alternative definition for guilt: the uneasiness one feels when doing something bad. You look around and nobody's watching so you do the deed. But you look up towards the sky and you're fairly confident nobody's watching. But there remains a nagging fear that you'll one day have to reap what you sow. In fact, if you're feeling the guilt, payback has already begun...

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Guilt [Re: the_phoenix]
    #4077327 - 04/20/05 04:24 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

/groan.

Is this like that Jimney-Cricket conscious payback? Or Karmic retribution payback?

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4077370 - 04/20/05 04:37 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

HAHA,... terrible is personal..
you know, my Friend, whom is my sisters boyfriend (was)
did try to kill her, i knew she would not die, but man.. i know no fears, yet hearing my sister screaming for her life, was crude..

guilt.. i kinda fealty it.. then again going down taking out a friend with the fists or a Bat would newve be cool..

oh well. I'm only typing this as i cant find manifested people, sorry if I'm to off topic :wink: just the attention whore blooming..

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Guilt [Re: Gomp]
    #4077693 - 04/20/05 05:33 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

It's both.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4078544 - 04/20/05 09:04 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I've been on the other side of your story and was cheated for about 100$ by a friend of mine.
When I figured it out, I was a bit upset but not suprized that much because this is drug dealing after all.
Allthough I would expect people to be fair and honest in drug dealing as much as In any other job, these things (drug dealing and cheating, or even violence) often come together for some reason.
I usually feel sorry for this guy cause he is poor and a bit "slow" and very unresponsible so he can barely keep a job for a month, I just didn't expect he would be like that to me.
Anyway, I just accept him the way he is, like a dog who bites.
You can still be good with your dog, just try to avoid getting bitten by him. So I never mind what happened but am carefull in the future.
I see it as an accident caused by his mental level and my lack of carefullness.

Don't feel guilt, just try to not do it again

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: Guilt [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4079044 - 04/20/05 11:25 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The greatest offense was to myself.

It will feel the brunt of my nonconfrontational disharmony.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #4079050 - 04/20/05 11:28 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

There is a distinction between quilt and shame. Guilt is the feeling of sorrow which accompanies doing something which you know is wrong. Guilt is good because it deters a person from doing something which he should not do.

Shame is the feeling of worthlessness or self hatred which often accompanies guilt. Shame is bad because it denies the truth that self is essentially Good. In fact shame often encourages the behavior which caused the guilt. "I'm an evil person anyway, why not do it again, I'm already on the way to Hell."

You should not run from guilt. You did something wrong; you knew it was wrong before you did it because you wouldn't want some one to do the same thing to you; now you feel bad about it. You are supposed to feel bad when you hurt other people. Own your guilt. Perhaps you will remember how it feels and not steel again.

However, resist temptation to shame. Shame is evil because it denies the truth that you are good, and gives you an excuse to continue the destructive behavior which made you feel guilty.

And don't take Psychoactive1984's advice; it's strait out of the Satanic Bible. I suspect Psychoactive1984 is possessed by a demon; he claims to be one.

Psychoactive1984 said:

Quote:

I'm a demon. DO NOT BE MISLEAD BY ME, I'M A HYPOCRITICAL LIAR, WITH A SCARRED CONSCIOUS, AND I HAVE MUCH TO GAIN FROM SUGGESTING CONTRADICTIONS

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4075745#Post4075745

And stop steeling. It breeds hate and mistrust among people and brings down all of society. Embrace your guilt, replace your shame with Hope, and avoid this error in the future.

Peace

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Guilt [Re: shroomydan]
    #4079153 - 04/20/05 11:56 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:lol: :thumbup:

I'm not one, but I might as well be, as my actions in reflection to church dogma suggest it is so; therefore through the infallible word of god it must be... although I feel no guilt, nor shame for others conceptions of my persona.

You could apply the same notion of guilt to some who are religious that frown upon masturbation. Those that engage in it, might feel guilty as a result of it, but does that mean that it is "wrong", or does that justify the guilt due to the notion of a sin in the eyes of a god?

Should we guilt trip the world on the basis of our subjective morality? (It's done far too often by others, I see no reason to contribute to it)

How is that straight out of the Satanic Bible? I'm merely suggesting not to feel guilty for his actions as he's going to do them irregardless of his pithy little guilt trip, and guilt isn't exactly solving anything. If you're going to steal :shrug: have no guilt, not condoning it, but I'd much rather theives have no guilt about their actions; rather it be that way then suggest it is so because of an absolute concocted illusion of black and white morality.

Not everyone experiences guilt the same way, not everyone has a feeling of guilt, nor remorse for an action... being that their is no absolute principle underlying the notion, it's foolish to suggest that guilt in and of itself, is directly related to anything but more indirect subjective illusions of good and evil.

It's all in your head, no need to mindfuck yourself into actions that fit into a predefined template of what is "good", If you can justify the action to yourself, then do it, as you'll be inclined to do so anyhow.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (04/21/05 12:14 AM)

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #4079646 - 04/21/05 01:43 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The way I see life is through a series of events, mostly precipated by karma.

Enjoy the weed. But expect that down the line you will lose thing(s) equal in value to what you stole. Or, someone you considered a "friend" will do something to you that a friend wouldn't do.

Life is but a learning experience.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinea_h_w
Stranger
    #4080107 - 04/21/05 07:07 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Gog said:
I hardly know the guy so it's not I like stabbed a friend.

this is terrible. unfortunately lots of people do seem to be more comfortable abusing people they don't know, even if they look nice and friendly. and in a world where you don't even know your neighbors anymore...

yeah, but you go ahead and smoke yourself in guilt. I don't even know you, so...

I just hope you find inside you heart the love and dignity that will make you change.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology