Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Dehydrator, Peat, Perlite, Scales, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblexamginex
Stranger

Loc: Left side of USA
I got my groove back - growing again after 6 years - a picture log *LAST UPDATE*
    #4073151 - 04/19/05 04:51 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I've grown a bit here and there. I never got any pictures,
but I started with cakes, then progressed to WBS and casing.
My first venture was six years ago, these are the only pics I
captured back then thanks to Kodak and the wonders of Photo-CD.

Fast forward to a few months ago; the wife agreed to let me start up my old hobby,
so I dug out the equipment and ordered B+ spores; but, my skills were rusty and production was poor.
My temp was too high and my casings were drowning. I ended up draining the water
and flipping the whole casing over in one chunk.
Ultimately, it did fruit along the edges, but I was disappointed. Learn from your mistakes, and that I did.
I was able to capture spores from this batch so I could try again.

And now, I've been reading all the new advancements, remembering what I did, implementing new ideas,
and behold, this round is looking much improved!

Day 1, Bin 2
The day after first sign of pinning, Bin 1 didn't have visible pins yet,
so no pic. I decided to get pics from here on out.

Day 2, Bin 1 and 2

Day 3, Bin 1 and 2

Day 4, Bin 1 and 2

Day 5, Bin 1 and 2

Day 6, Bin 1 and 2

Day 7, Bin 1 and 2

My substrate is wild bird seed, soaked 24 hours, and pressure cooked at 15psi for 1 hour.
This mix has corn in it, but doesn't seem to affect water content too badly.
I'm using a B+ strain and wide mouth quart jars available at OSH.
In the past, I mixed in some whole grain brown rice, but not with this batch.
The casing is 70/30 peat and vermiculite, with a small layer of vermiculite under the substrate.
This provides extra moisture and absorbs any from pooling, which happened before and was cause for concern.
I'm using perlite for humidity, and fanning and misting a couple times a day as needed.

Any comments on my setup are appreciated and I'll continue to post new pics until my first harvest.
The Shroomery sure has come a long way; I remember my first trip almost 8 years ago when the Shroomery was just getting started.
I was |enigma| back then, and I remember Herben, Ythan, and workman.
Nice to see Ythan is doing a great job running the place!

I've got high res pics of the latest batch if anyone is interested.

Edited by xamginex (04/22/05 11:56 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: I got my groove back - growing again after 6 years - a picture log [Re: xamginex]
    #4073172 - 04/19/05 04:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup: :thumbup: Lookin' good!  Welcome back man, seems like you never really forget how all this works huh? :stoned:

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: I got my groove back - growing again after 6 years - a picture log [Re: xamginex]
    #4073175 - 04/19/05 04:59 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Looks good. Welcome to the Sroomery too! :thumbup:

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
    #4073177 - 04/19/05 04:59 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Damn, that is great pinset! (bin 2)
Bin 2's day4 and day5 pics deserve nominations into pic of the month, IMO.
How many inches deep is the substrate, and what kind?
looks like 4 inches+

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

InvisibleFizikz
Not a real person
 User Gallery

#4073187 - 04/19/05 05:01 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Nice job man. those are some good looking mushies. I'm getting into doing bulk grow as well, and will be using your methods with some variations of my own. Anyways good job, hope to see the harvest. peace.

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Re: I got my groove back - growing again after 6 years - a picture log [Re: MycoJunkie]
    #4073193 - 04/19/05 05:02 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

DAMN SON!!!

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

Invisiblexamginex
Stranger

Re: I got my groove back - growing again after 6 years - a picture log [Re: MycoJunkie]
    #4073230 - 04/19/05 05:12 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

In total, about 3 inches, almost 2 of which is wild bird seed, a layer of verm underneath, and 70/30 peat/verm on top about half to three quarters of an inch. The bins themselves are about 12x15" and 6" deep, with rounded corners and tapers a bit to the bottom. I got them specifically for the dark green, seems to work really well.
I need to figure out how elevate my lid cause when I just fanned it, some are starting to bump their heads, but they're almost ready for harvest.

--------------------
-ALL POSTS ARE FICTITIOUS CREATIONS OF MY OVERACTIVE IMAGINATION AND IMAGINARY DIGITAL CAMERA-

Edited by xamginex (04/19/05 06:10 PM)

Offlinejonnyjonjonjon
CrackBadger
 User Gallery

Loc: The Pharm
    #4073283 - 04/19/05 05:23 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Good mother of god thats a nice batch.

--------------------
Mother goose said to the swan "Is that PCP your cooking?" and the swan replied "Yes, yes it is.

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I got my groove back - growing again after 6 years - a picture log [Re: jonnyjonjonjon]
    #4073582 - 04/19/05 07:12 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Wow nice. That species looks ALOT like the species my friend did last year.

Just watch it step by step...the pins and everything looks to be the exact same size ratios, coloring, shape, etc.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3031528/page//fpart/1/vc/1

OfflineSuburbShrooms
Apprentice
Loc: OHIO
Re: I got my groove back - growing again after 6 years - a picture log [Re: jonnyjonjonjon]
    #4073597 - 04/19/05 07:15 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

hey really nice grow, did u do anything different in bin 2 that u didn't in bin 1 to make it pin better and faster? thanks GL xamginex

Invisiblexamginex
Stranger

Re: I got my groove back - growing again after 6 years - a picture log [Re: SuburbShrooms]
    #4073647 - 04/19/05 07:42 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Nearest I can figure is bin 2 got a better cold shock. I used crushed ice to drop my temps and add water to the perlite, but ice I used for Bin 1 were larger chunks and maybe didn't cool as uniformly. Other than that, conditions are identical between the two fruiting chambers. I added a link to high res pics in the original post if anyone is interested.

--------------------
-ALL POSTS ARE FICTITIOUS CREATIONS OF MY OVERACTIVE IMAGINATION AND IMAGINARY DIGITAL CAMERA-

Invisiblexamginex
Stranger

#4074997 - 04/20/05 12:39 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Picked a few whose veils were torn. I didn't want these dropping spores all over so I snagged them. I always love how they come up in chunks, so there were some cling ons that came with. Wet weight ~28 grams. I see several others that will be ready in the morning. My camera seems to have some trouble focusing on the mesh patterns. High res availabe through original post link.

--------------------

Edited by xamginex (04/20/05 01:23 AM)

Invisiblexamginex
Stranger

*UPDATED DAY 6 PICS* [Re: xamginex]
    #4076418 - 04/20/05 12:05 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Added Day 6 pics to original post

--------------------

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
Re: *UPDATED DAY 6 PICS* [Re: xamginex]
    #4076451 - 04/20/05 12:13 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Dude.. you rock! I'm doing WBS and B+ TOO!!!

Quick question for ya'

How many 1QT jars of WBS did you use to make that huge friggin casing?? What was your casing material?? That wasn't spawned to anything was it??

Very nice!!

Sam

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
Re: *UPDATED DAY 6 PICS* [Re: Sammy]
    #4076528 - 04/20/05 12:39 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

nice grow man and welcome back. i hope to see more grows of yours later.

Invisiblexamginex
Stranger

Re: *UPDATED DAY 6 PICS* [Re: Sammy]
    #4076946 - 04/20/05 02:26 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

*PICK UPDATE*

37.4 grams this time around. The one in back was a bit young, but came out attached with the bigger one next too it.

Got a nice shot of some gills too. I love the shimmering gold effect as they dry, also seen in this pic.

Each casing has 4 nearly full quart jars of WBS. I started with 12 quart jars but used too much seed, so after the PC'ing, they were almost completely full and I couldn't shake them very well. Only 4 completely colonized, 4 were about 90 percent, so I dumped, mixed, and cased, mixing fully colonized with some of the uncolonized seed. Turns out there wasn't much left to colonize so it all worked out. Breaking it all up to get it out of the jars was a pain though.

The other 4 jars were contaminated with black mold. A previous batch I had all became contaminated with it, so I'm pretty sure I bunked that spore solution. I managed to get a better print and took more care in creating my solution for this batch.
All I have to say is I know what black mold smells like and suffered for 3 weeks with a bad cold fighting it off. But my kitchen has never been cleaner!  :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Border, USA Flag
Re: I got my groove back - growing again after 6 years - a picture log *NEW PICS* [Re: xamginex]
    #4077718 - 04/20/05 05:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

enigma! Welcome back man. Hit me up on AIM sometime.

Peace,

-Y

Invisiblexamginex
Stranger

Re: I got my groove back - growing again after 6 years - a picture log *NEW PICS* [Re: xamginex]
    #4078684 - 04/20/05 09:47 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Picked some more, this time around, ~137.7 grams wet. My poor little scale maxes at 50 so I have to weigh 'em as I pick 'em. Also time to rig up a bigger fan and maybe buy another dehydrator. I can only post one tray at the moment, but here's the link that has all of the high res pics and both trays in it.

There were so many to pick I almost didn't know where to start. I'll have a bunch more to get in the morning too.

Tally so far, ~203.1 grams wet. I'll prolly break 300 tomorrow, and this is just from Bin 2! Bin 1 will have some tomorrow too, I just know it.

--------------------

Invisiblexamginex
Stranger

#4080336 - 04/21/05 10:25 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Added Day 7 pics. Pickins' are looking slim because I've been harvesting like crazy. I've since cleared Bin 2, ready for the next flush. Bin 1 has had a few picked, and many more coming very soon now. Tally for Bin 2 I estimate at ~530 grams wet. Another 60 or so from Bin 1 as it gets going.
I'm kind of glad Bin 1 lagged, my dehydrator is VERY full, and I've been moving semi-dried all together to make more room. I'm hoping to do it again in time to harvest Bin 1. Again, look for the link to high res pics to see the three trays and todays pics in greater detail.

I've gotten everything combined into two trays now, here's the pic. Enjoy!

--------------------

Edited by xamginex (04/21/05 02:03 PM)

Invisiblexamginex
Stranger

Re: I got my groove back - growing again after 6 years - a picture log *LAST UPDATE* [Re: xamginex]
    #4084572 - 04/22/05 12:44 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Last update for this project. Any following flushes will be cool, but I'm well ahead of my expectations for this round. No new pics to post as there isn't much to see, most of the growth has been collected.
My new dehydrator has proven invaluable. Dry weight of two trays 65.7 grams. When I finish harvesting Bin 1 I just might break 100g dry!

If you look closely, you can just see the edges of the printer paper I placed them on for scale.

High res here.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Dehydrator, Peat, Perlite, Scales, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation