Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (updated 4/26/2007)
    #4135415 - 05/04/05 10:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

(updated 5/20/2007)

Lady Salvia is a tricky subject. She keeps those that are just looking for a quick "high" from getting to Her. That is why many people use it once or twice and then abandon it, wondering why it didn't work. This is also where the stories of certain people being "immune" to Salvia come from.

There are important things to remember...

------------------------------------------

Reverse Tolerance

This is the most misunderstood, or not even known about, aspect of Salvia.

Salvia is reverse tolerant. When you use it, you become more sensitive to it. If you smoke a bowl or two of raw leaf every other night or so for 2-3 weeks, you will start to see that you need less and less until finally you only need a hit or two of raw leaf. This is why extracts are overrated...they are for those that want to just blast through this and rush Lady Salvia into giving up Her wisdom. However, She is smarter than that. Most who try this end up just having an amnesiac sort of trip where they learn nothing, or end up thinking they are a doorknob or something such as that.

One method of achieving a reverse tolerance that has been tested and approved by this poster, was revealed by cpw1971. Take one small hit of Salvia, and wait about 20 minutes. Now have your smoking session. That one hit will work in some of this reverse tolerance and make your breakthrough easier.

Your leaf

It is important to get a good quality leaf. There are many vendors that sell Salvia, and differentiating between them can be difficult. Salvinorin-A breaks down when exposed to light, so with dead leaves no longer producing Salvinorin-A (since they are dead :-) ), if left in sunlight they will lose potency. Some also can get moldy and lose potency. As you can see there are a number of ways for dried leaf to lose potency, and only a proper vendor will understand this.

I'm not going to advertise here for a specific vendor, but feel free to PM me and I'll give you some information.

Set and Setting

I find it important to meditate to clear your mind and focus on the Lady for at least 5 minutes, if not more, before going to meet Her.

I usually strip down to just my undergarments, or nothing at all. I go into a room that has a light on the nightstand within easy reach. I make sure the room is completely pitch black with the light out, and that all LED's are blocked or covered. An LED is a light emmiting diode, such as the little green or red lights on VCR, clocks, etc. I want the room to basically be light-proof when I turn the light off.

I find this is important to me because sometimes my eyes drift open when on a voyage, and if there is no light at all, I don't notice the difference. Of course, at higher doses, I am not aware of my eyes in a physical sense.

Smoking Method

To smoke Salvia, get a good butane torch lighter. This is important so that the Salvinorin-A (psychoactive chemical in Salvia) is all burned and turned into smoke. However, I should also note there that some people prefer to just use a normal lighter. Some feel that the butane lighter makes the smoke a bit too "hot". In the end, this is a matter of personal preference. I do find with the butane lighter that the smoke is hot, but I always swallow after taking in the hit. This re-moistens my throat, taking away the harsh feeling.

Load a bowl and have another one or two ready to go. Take one large hit, holding the flame over the leaf while you inhale. Hold this in 20-30 seconds, and then let it out. Take only one breath in between hits, and take a second hit and hold it in again. While you hold it in, load or get the next bowl ready. Repeat this for the second bowl. Set the bowl down carefully on your night stand as you may be feeling rubbery and strange by now. Turn off the light and lay back with your eyes closed and enjoy what Lady Salvia has in store for you, even if it is minimal. Remember, She likes to get acquainted with her new subjects first in many cases.

The best method for using Salvia, bar none, is a vaporizer. The one that has been personally tested is the Cannon Vaporizer. It can be found at the Vapor Warez site. Salvinorin-D has a high combustion temperature, and so getting a vaporizer that gets hot enough (much hotter than needed for marijuana or tobacco) is imperative so you do not waste your money. This one, I know for a fact, gets hot enough. When using a vaporizer, you MUST have a sitter present for the first couple of times, no matter how experienced you are. A much smaller amount of pure, plain leaf will have a much larger effect. For a trip report of my first attempt using this vaporizer, can be found here.

---------------------------------------------

Quidding

Quidding is taking about 3 leaves and rehydrating them in water for about 10 minutes, and then rolling it into a ball and chewing it a bit like gum. You let the juice collect in the back of your throat, and swallow only when it become uncomfortable. After about fifteen minutes, swallow the quid and spoon another 3 leaves out and roll them up, and chew them for fifteen minutes or so, and then swallow the quid. By this time the effects should be coming on and be felt to a good degree.

Quidding is similar in effects to smoking, but lasts about an hour instead of a few minutes. It's effects come on slower and go away slower, so it is less of a "flash" experience.

However, Quidding is an art form, and having a high level of reverse tolerance will help quite a bit.

There is a good recipe at entheology.org by Druid Dream involving Bicardi, Chamomile, and Ginger. It takes care of the bitter taste that some say they don't enjoy, but to me the rum is worse, as I'm not a big alcohol (sp?) drinker. The ginger is nice though, and the taste of Salvia leaf is nice to me.

----------------------------------------------

Sitter

The first couple of times you try Salvia, try and have someone quietly sitting in the room with you, or in a room adjacent to the one you are in. This will help avoid any problems you may encounter during your first few trips into Salvia Space. I, and 99% of the people I talk to never have a problem. Most tend to lay there still while having the experience. Some, I have heard, will try and move around. Whatever happens, it is imparative that the sitter knows the experience will only last a few minutes, tops. This is also a good reason to use the smoking method for a while until you are well aquainted with the Lady.

Salvia as an Antidepressant

While it is still unknown, there are indications that Salvia may have great use as an antidepressant. The main active compound, Salvinorin-A, has a very similar chemical makeup to many prescription antidepressants. I, for one, am bipolar and suffer from depression. I have found that the regular use of Salvia has worked as a sort of self-medication for my depression. I refuse to take synthetic medications, as my bipolar is rather mild; however, through the use of Salvia this becomes even less of an issue.

Here are some preliminary reports and anecdotal stories. Due to the claustrophobic and "drug" demonizing culture we live in, there has been little research into this very valuable chemical.

http://www.sagewisdom.org/jclinpsych.html
http://www.sagewisdom.org/jclinpsych.html (read under Longterm section)
http://www.salvia-divinorum.com/forum.htm (fourth paragraph)
http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v13n1/13118han.pdf

I hope this has been informative and helpful!

Remember, treat Lady Salvia with respect, and She will respect you! If you are going for a quick high, this isn't the place to go.

Also, check out Sagewisdom for invaluable information on the chemicals of Salvia, the botany, methodology, etc. of Salvia.

Edited by myndreach (05/20/07 07:57 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Loc: Lemuria
Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: myndreach]
    #4135522 - 05/04/05 11:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Nice post, man, good job!  :thumbup: You are certainly correct on the first part about the reverse tollerance.

--------------------

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: myndreach]
    #4135535 - 05/04/05 11:12 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

This is a very nice post. I have to admit, in the past I've used salvia as a quick high before and that's exactly what I got from her. I laughed uncontrollably, and it felt like a forced laugh. I didn't really get anything out of those experiences. The other times when I approached salvia seriously, almost with fear of what's going to happen, I learned a great deal from those times.

Offlinewhatever123
Whatever I did, I'm sorry
Male User Gallery

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: chodamunky]
    #4135575 - 05/04/05 11:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the info, I was wondeirng why my 10x didn't do anything. Fuck extracts, from this point on I buy raw leaf.

Great advice and knowledge to share with us, thanks again :smile:.

Now I am off to eBay to buy me some leaf.

--------------------
Koala Koolio said:
there should be a 3 month waiting period between registration and posting. :wink:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4136658 - 05/05/05 07:38 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I am a bit uncomfortable in promoting the torch type lighter.
sure, when it is moved around to ignite the largest quantity, it serves; but often it is applied as a point source of heat and that heat is too intense with short pipes and will cook mouth lung and throat tissues. so the rational thing is to use long pipes and water pipes, but that wastes salvia (salvinorin condensing on tubes etc.)

a regular lighter is fine.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4136719 - 05/05/05 08:09 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Redgreenvines, I'll edit my post to mention what you talked about.

I've also added a small section on making sure you have good leaf.

Edited by myndreach (05/05/05 08:17 AM)

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #4137192 - 05/05/05 10:39 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Good info, but now that it's up and in the Salvia category, it can be found with ease, good post. As far as stickification, that's a sticky issue :wink:. If you notice, we have a lot of stickies at the moment. However, now that it's posted and categorized it's here and will always be easily found, you can post links to here in salvia posts, etc.

Thanks again :smile:.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #4137292 - 05/05/05 11:00 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hi!

Very good post!

I agree with gdman on the sticky issue and I would like to add that we already have an Welcome to General Questions: Forum Guidelines and FAQ (-read-) thread with links to FAQ threads, the FAQ and off site links. We know from experience that there still are many people who don't read or don't want to read that welcome thread, search old posts, use Google, go to www.erowid.org etc.

I'll add this thread to the General Questions: Forum Guidelines and FAQ like I did with redgreenvines thread.

I hope you understand and thanks again for the great post!

I'm for stickying quality threads for one week or so, but we have too many stickies at the moment. I'll discuss that with the other mods.

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: Annom]
    #4138833 - 05/05/05 05:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks a ton annom, and everyone else for the positive feedback.

InvisibleShroomOmatic
Ethno Apprentice
Male User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the Seas of Chees...
Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: emptywisdom]
    #4158662 - 05/10/05 05:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Amazing post thanks for the information.

--------------------

InvisibleChristoph teh goat luvr
Drugstore Cowboy
 User Gallery

Loc: Louisiana Flag
Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: ShroomOmatic]
    #4158791 - 05/10/05 06:22 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Great post man! I have been researching salvia lately and I am very interested in experimenting with it. The really helps me out. thanks for the awesome post man!

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: Christoph teh goat luvr]
    #4159627 - 05/10/05 09:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Heh...thanks guys. That's why I wrote it.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
    #4263273 - 06/06/05 11:32 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Weird stuff..been wanting to get into some salvia and have some comming...I wasnt aware of the reverse tolerance thing, never heard of it before and thats some important stuff to know :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4263738 - 06/06/05 01:38 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hey glad to have helped out scatman

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4263768 - 06/06/05 01:42 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Excellant guide!  I'd like to experiment more with Salvia myself. :thumbup:

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: MOTH]
    #4264543 - 06/06/05 04:55 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Very informative post. I need to print this out and give it to some of my less enlightened friends.

OfflineBagel
Mr.T's evil twin

Loc: Southern Ontario
Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: mushroommark]
    #4273339 - 06/08/05 07:52 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the low down on Sally, I have been wanting to experience this for a while, so my friend is going to be growing a plant that I will meditate over and give the respect it deserves.

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: Bagel]
    #4301712 - 06/15/05 10:29 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

ive done gravity hits of 20x extract and all it did was leave me itchy and a nightmarish tinge to reality.

so your saying that extracts work less than the natural leaf because the divine force behind the chemical is selective in who can experience it? sounds plausable.

tell me, when its done this way, or when the trip becomes stronger, does the itchiness and uncomfortability go away or are they intensified?

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: yousuck]
    #4302648 - 06/16/05 05:34 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

we always blame the supernatural when we don't understand.

the variance in effect can be due to lower receptivity, but usually means that you are not get the required amount into your blood stream fast enough. (holding the smoked material in long enough etc.)

I suspect, yousuck, that you did in fact reach a threashold effect (propbably level 3) and you could go to level 4 by taking 50% more. to level 5 by doubling your amount and to level 6 by quadrupling it.

level 4 would be fun, but the rest might not be fun for you, it is not really a fun thing - if you get itchy at level 3 you might get that elaborated, anything can happen - set and setting, you know.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: Please Read Before Asking Questions About Salvia (mods please read) [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4303428 - 06/16/05 11:40 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

we always blame the supernatural when we don't understand.

not to knock you, but anyone who has truly experienced the power behind these natural psychedelics knows not only that theirs an supernatural force behind them, but that they possess an intelligence capable of communication on a myriad of levels.

so you suggest taking more? ill will aquire a butane lighter and do a couple gravity hits, though i am still unsure about taking the natural leaf rather than the extract, as were speaking in terms of science here, the extract is technically far more potent.

but im all about taking it to the next level, so as long as the itchiness doesnt interfere, i would be willing to hit the level 6 (i thought their was only 5 levels in drug lit).

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order