Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate, Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenolank
Stranger
Fish tank heater question
    #4014359 - 04/04/05 08:15 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Im doing a test run on my TiT incubator to make sure that i can get the right temp before i inoculate my jars. I have a Tronic 200 watt heater in a 18 gallon tub filled 1/3 full with water and four bricks to prevent the top tub from crushing the heater. Ive had the heater on the highest setting for about 3 hours now and the temp has only gone up by one degree. Im wondering how long it takes these heaters to heat the water to 83 degrees and is there something wrong with my setup. I have my temp gauge in the top tub with a lid on it. The only thing i dont have is any way to tie the top tub down so that it is more submerged in the water. Do you think that would have an impact on the temp. Tie it with some fishing line so more water touches the sides of the tub? thank you in advance for your help...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePawPaw
Picktish TexasStyle....

Loc: was born down in the sout...
Re: Fish tank heater question [Re: nolank]
    #4014378 - 04/04/05 08:21 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Maybe put bricks in it...thats easier than messing with fishing line

--------------------
Come to Paw Paws place there will be no sleeping tonight

Eric just wants to catch reds ..
Don?t look back, don?t look back
He?s right on your trail
He?s just a step away from hell
WDYWFM?

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: Fish tank heater question [Re: PawPaw]
    #4014801 - 04/04/05 09:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

inside the incubator would take longer, it did with mine, 200 watt is overkill for a heater but will work, ya weigh it down or those zip tie thingys

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Fish tank heater question [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #4015285 - 04/04/05 11:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Heaters in still water and an internal probe (rather than external) will cycle a lot. They get hot fast and shut themselves off. Because they cycle so much, it's normal for them to take awhile to heat the water. In a real fish tank, the water is moving and so it heats up a lot faster.

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: Fish tank heater question [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4015447 - 04/05/05 12:07 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Umm... not sure if everyone understands how you have it set up. I think I do.

The point of the water is to surround the tub and transfer heat to the entire thing. You just have yours floating. You HAVE to tie it down. Even fully loaded with jars it won't submerge itself. It will never hit the heater either, unless you sit something on it or you fall on it. Bricks are "just incase".

I used fishing line for mine. Zip ties would work better. You can find them in the hardware department of Walmart. I am currently using 30 lb mono fishing line. I used a nail to make 4 holes, one on each corner, in each tub. There are also holes in the handles I used. I had to double up the fishing line on all 6 holes to keep it from breaking. It snapped with just 1 line in each hole.

First, empty the water. Fill the water to the top of the bricks. Put the tub in, sitting on the bricks. Tie it down REALLY good. Make it as tight as possible. Then either get a funnel or pour gently in the side between the two tubs. Fill the water as close to the top as possible. I leave 1 inch between the handles of the bottom tub and the water. That way it won't splash out the holes in the handles.

Let me know if you have problems.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Fish tank heater question [Re: Smushroom]
    #4015599 - 04/05/05 01:20 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I say don't worry about the water touching the sides or even the bottom. The air convects heat well enough. I never weight down my tub-in-tub set ups. Most of the time, I don't even have the water touching the tub(s) in the big tub! The important part is that the warm water is under the tubs you are trying to heat. The heat will rise and transfer to the inner tubs via convection in the air or regular infrared radiation even if they do not touch the water. If fact I personally believe it is BETTER to leave an air gap between the tubs and the water! That gap prevents hot spots in the water around the heater making hot spots in the inner tub(s). And hot spots are really bad. Remember cubensis mycelium dies at 105F. That's not far from the 86F you are trying to keep the tubs. Here is a typical setup that I recommend:

Notice that the water is covered with plastic wrap to prevent excessive humidity in the chamber. Obviously you wouldn't use that cover if you were fruiting cakes; it's for cased trays. Also notice that the tub in the large tub does NOT touch the water at all! It rides about 1" over the plastic-covered water level on purpose.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4016283 - 04/05/05 08:25 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I have a Tronic 200 watt heater in a 18 gallon tub

I have a Tronic 200 watt heater in one of my incubators.
It works fine.

The bottom tub is a 18 gallon rubbermaid.

The top tub is a 14 gallon rubbermaid...there is no need to use bricks or tie downs with this set up...because of the gap.

TC

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #4016302 - 04/05/05 08:38 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hmmmm...

Incubator set up.

1. First thing get your bottom tub and put in your heater. I also add a water pump to mix the water that way it heats up much more evenly but it isn?t a necessary item. I got the tape from a boat shop and it has been working for some time. Good stuff for underwater.

2. Next put something (I used tall half pints) in each corner of the tub. This will keep the heater and pump safe from being smashed if I put in to many jars or do something stupid.

3. Now be sure to set the heater before you put on the top tub. I attach the top tub with zip ties cause the top tub will want to float.

4. Add the water. I like to add as much water as I can before it starts to spill out.

5. If you use the heaters with the external controls set them now to get ready for the jars. Mine use a dial and a sensor that gives the temp inside the chamber rather then the water. It also has a metal bulb rather then a glass one.

6. Finished

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinefloydguitar
smooth guitarist

Re: Fish tank heater question [Re: Magash]
    #4016513 - 04/05/05 09:43 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

took my tit 8.5 hours to heat up. use zip ties to hold down the tub. make sure the fish tank heater is secure though. will be a bitch to get to once zip tied. peace

Offlinefloydguitar
smooth guitarist

Re: Fish tank heater question [Re: floydguitar]
    #4016521 - 04/05/05 09:44 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hey PawPaw bad ass avatar

InvisiblePawPaw
Picktish TexasStyle....

Loc: was born down in the sout...
Re: Fish tank heater question [Re: floydguitar]
    #4016614 - 04/05/05 10:12 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

floydguitar said:
hey PawPaw bad ass avatar

I still have a poster of yours...

--------------------
Come to Paw Paws place there will be no sleeping tonight

Eric just wants to catch reds ..
He?s right on your trail
He?s just a step away from hell
WDYWFM?

Offlinenolank
Stranger
Re: Fish tank heater question [Re: PawPaw]
    #4031300 - 04/08/05 03:16 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I got my incubator to 84 degrees now. I tied the two tubs with some twine rope and added some medium hot water until it filled the sides. I found by adding hot water, the heater has to do less work and can simply sustain the already warm temperature.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate, Substrate Bags