Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Air Pump, Air Stone, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
What size/location for holes in PMP lid?
    #4014850 - 04/04/05 11:47 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

For those of you who use a PMP pod, I was wondering if I could get some more specific info on the "two holes in the lid for air exchange." What size should I make these holes? Where should I locate them? Middle is out of the question for me as I have a piece of plexiglass there and I will be putting an aquarium light there. I was wondering if maybe I should do four smaller holes in different locations to give it a more even air flow.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebixo
Dremel Addict
 User Gallery

Loc: The Autobahn
Re: What size/location for holes in PMP lid? [Re: PowerTrip]
    #4015790 - 04/05/05 04:57 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

the airflow is coming from the bottom airstones so the location of the holes wont effect that too much, just do it higher on the container because should you cut it too low you will lose your precious humidity.

Offlinebixo
Dremel Addict
 User Gallery

Re: What size/location for holes in PMP lid? [Re: bixo]
    #4015797 - 04/05/05 05:00 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

and i do the holes about the size of nickel

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #4015931 - 04/05/05 06:57 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

No holes needed:
- If tub aint airtight air finds a way out
- Rising air from teh bottom will prevent co2 building up on bottom anyway

No holes needed on PMP, imho.

MF

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #4016291 - 04/05/05 10:31 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

PMP

I like to put two 1 inch holes in the lid. I put a piece of rubber over each hole with a screw so that I can slide it over the hole making them bigger or smaller. This allows you to controlt the amount of humidity in it.

Oh yeah then there is this reason
The fundamental principal behind using air entrainment is to sufficiently mix the two (fresh air and stale air) together and then re-distribute them back into the environment in a more balanced way that is then more beneficial to the mushroom crop. Without this sufficient mixing of the gasses present within the grow space, the crops will remain stunted and will likely never reach their optimum potential.

With the poor mans pod, the settling co2 air is met and diffused by a curtain of fresh air rising from beneath the Geo-lite surface. This rising flow of air is created from the air diffuser rod situated below the Geo-lite surface, which is powered by the air pump. The rising air pattern not only prohibits the heavier co2 air from settling down onto the bottom surface as usual but it also simultaneously diffuses the co2 with fresh air as it is distributed back into the environment or grow space where it can be put to good use.

In this way, the poor mans pod creates the same desired phenomenon as offered by more conventional means of air entrainment found in much larger-scale commercial applications where a mixing box is commonly used to accomplish this important task.

He he he...don't ya hate when I start to wake up and get long winded?

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Re: What size/location for holes in PMP lid? [Re: Magash]
    #4016581 - 04/05/05 12:02 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

In the spirit of retaining/regulating humidity and allowing for gas exchange would it work to cut more/larger holes in the top/sides of the container and then cover them with Tyvek and seal with silicone? I've been bouncing this idea around for a TiT setup. Since Tyvek, supposedly, allows for gas exchange it seems like a plausible solution.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What size/location for holes in PMP lid? [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #4019864 - 04/06/05 02:04 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I would use poly before tyvek cause it will be holding up the pump. Tyvek is good for gas exchange not really air exchange.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Re: What size/location for holes in PMP lid? [Re: Magash]
    #4019917 - 04/06/05 02:20 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not following... "holding up the pump?". Also, what do you mean by "gas exchange but not oxygen exchange"? Isn't oxygen a gas? Are you saying the CO2 would escape but oxygen would not enter? Is it a good idea to have holes filled with polyfill in the lid? Would that allow for CO2-O2 Exchange without allowing moisture to escape?

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Offlinebixo
Dremel Addict
 User Gallery

Re: What size/location for holes in PMP lid? [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #4020411 - 04/06/05 06:46 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

by holding up the pump he is saying that it wouldnt allow the pump to push air through at max capacity. just cut about a nickel side hole a few inches from the top on each end of the bin, than stuff those holes with polyfil

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Air Pump, Air Stone, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation