Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
inoculation holes
    #399435 - 09/20/01 09:10 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

How much slower will things go with only one innoculation hole? A friend from a spore company said that there is enough oxygen in the jar already for full colonization is this true? Oh, yeah they are using 1pint jars innoculated with mexi-cub, z, and blue meanies. What would be the expected colonization time. One more thing the substrate is verm., finch seed, a little extra ground flax, rye grass seed, and brwn rice flour(crushed kind of chunky). Almost forgot temp is bettween 75-78

Edited by durban_poison on 09/20/01 08:11 PM.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegodflesh

Re: inoculation holes [Re: durban_poison]
    #399511 - 09/20/01 10:27 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

If your substrate formula that you have there is shakeable, then one innoculation hole is fine. If you have filled the jars up entirely, one innoculation hole could easily double or triple your normal colonization time. Probably lookin at 45-70 days...

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
Re: inoculation holes [Re: godflesh]
    #399520 - 09/20/01 10:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

looks like they fucked up. The substrate was filled to the top so the syringe would penetrate through the protective vermiculite layer. Is there any way to speed this up or should I wait till its half colonized then case? Which directiondoes mycelium grow, does gravity effect it if so will fliping the jars upside down make the mycelium grow up?

Edited by durban_poison on 09/20/01 09:39 PM.

Offlinegodflesh

Re: inoculation holes [Re: durban_poison]
    #399804 - 09/21/01 10:54 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Mycelium grows in all directions from where the spores are placed. Gravity as far as I know doesn't play a role in the direction. If you haven't innoculated yet you can try this... It's a tad bit risky but will greatly speed up colonization time. Since you have a dry verm layer, any contams in the air should not be able to penetrate it. Go ahead and take the lid off of the jar and very quickly innoculate in four or five different places along the sides of the jar making sure to get the needle below the dry verm layer. Do this very quick and get the lid back on as fast as possible. If you don't live in a crack shany then your chance of contams are very low. Good luck!

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: inoculation holes [Re: godflesh]
    #399878 - 09/21/01 12:43 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I agree with godflesh, but if you want to make it a bit more safe grab a piece of paper and rub it with alcohol on both sides then take lid off and place the piece of paper above the jar (you can use a rubber band or your hands to secure the piece of paper), pinch the paper with syringe and innoculate where you want, when done take paper off and and replace the lid . My two cents.

Cheers,
MAIA

"Houston, we have a problem... shrooms are over "
=)Free&Spread the Spores(=
Support the FSR

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation