Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCosmicTourist
Stranger
Inoculate casing substrate with perlite already in bottom
    #1339371 - 02/27/03 05:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My friend is going to do a couple of casings in a couple of tupperware containers, and he plans on sterilizing a BRF/verm layer ontop of a perlite layer in the microwave, then inoculating this and later ading a top 50/50+ layer.
He has used the microwave many times for sterilizing with great success.  The question is; will the substrate try to colonize the bottom perlite layer?  He wishes to avoid the hastle of doing standard pf cakes and then birthing them onto the perlite, also the added riskes of contaminating the perlite during the transfer.  Thanks for the help :grin: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: Inoculate casing substrate with perlite already in bottom [Re: CosmicTourist]
    #1339396 - 02/27/03 05:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

will the substrate try to colonize the bottom perlite layer?

probably.

why not skip cakes and do wild birseed, popcorn or similar. just colonize, pour and case. i wouldn't worry about perlite contam during casing. actually i wouldn't use perlite at all, but that's me.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

OfflineCosmicTourist
Stranger
Re: Inoculate casing substrate with perlite already in bottom [Re: Bilge]
    #1339411 - 02/27/03 06:01 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Do you think the bird seed could be sterilized in the microwave too? I know that whole grains need to be PCed, but not sure about birdsead. The main problem was just to avoid the hastle of having to do any transfering at all. If the perlite did get slightly colonized, does it really matter? The perlite is suposed to be a water resivior and I think my friend would be best to leave it in there. What are your reasons for not using a bottom layer?

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: Inoculate casing substrate with perlite already in bottom [Re: CosmicTourist]
    #1339427 - 02/27/03 06:06 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i prefer the "sure thing". i wouldn't mess with sterilizing anything except using a pc. not saying microwave wouldn't work, but i have a pc so i wouldn't try it. birdseed is whole grains (millet, flax, etc.).

sounds like you're trying to make one of them mushroom kits; could work, but i prefer the "more certain" route in case there is contam during colonization, so i don't have to throw out the substrate AND the casing material.

it doesn't matter if the perlite gets colonized; it's pretty much just another casing material. i would use a bottom layer, but i would use the same material for both top and bottom: 50/50+. some people use different layers, some use the same, at least one person swears by perlite on top AND bottom.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

OfflineCosmicTourist
Stranger
Re: Inoculate casing substrate with perlite already in bottom [Re: Bilge]
    #1339473 - 02/27/03 06:28 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You should try the microwave some time.  My friend doesn't own a PC or a range, and doesn't care to aquire one because he lives in a dorm  :wink:.  All you got to do is put a standard jar in there with some PF mix maybe a little extra water. Cover the jar with something other than its metal lid, my friend uses wax paper held on with a rubber band, an a small inoc hole punched for gas exchange. Put that in a bowl or plate with a centimeter of water or so in it to prevent the stuff from burning.  Cook on high for 5-10 min.  Be sure to cover the hole in the wax paper on top imedeatly with aluminum foil or something befor removing it from the mic.  This method should work fine with slightly larger tuperware container, and is nice because the perlite is sterilized in the same step.  supper fast, and no mess :grin: 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation