Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Slow Myc Growth?
    #3989449 - 03/30/05 11:04 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I inoculated 4 WBS qt. jars last Wednesday,(a week ago). They started to show small spots of myc. on the 5th day. The spots are about 2 times as big now. But still the biggest spot in one of my jars is only about the size of your little finger. The other 3 jars have less than that. I inoculatd w/ a spore syringe of A-Strain from ralphstersspores.com. I thought that the jars should be at least half done on the 10th day. It doesnt appear that they will even be close. They are only at about 70-75F. I know that's kind of cool, but i still thought it would go a little quicker.

--------------------
Don't let your brain tell your mind it can't feel

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Slow Myc Growth? [Re: jtk]
    #3989530 - 03/30/05 11:34 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

anyone have any ideas why its going so slow?

--------------------
Don't let your brain tell your mind it can't feel

Offlineabaccusx
Shroomer

#3989537 - 03/30/05 11:37 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I also just inoculated my first BRF jars (250mL drinking glasses) on Thursday of last week and am only today starting to see small patches of mycelium growth in some of my jars. My jars are also not kept in an incubator but wrapped in a blanket and in the cupboard (temps around 20-25C) From what i've read you should be fine, temps obviously play a huge difference to colonisation time.

From my little experiment so far I'll be investing in a TiT ASAP. I guess that is the only thing you can really do if you want the amazing colonisation times the pros around here experience.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #3989586 - 03/30/05 11:54 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

jtk said:
They are only at about 70-75F.

That's my guess as to why they're going slow. Also, moisture content plays a part in colonization time. At low to mid 80's I get quart jars of WBS to fully colonize in 5-7 days from inoculation, and that's multispore. It doesn't take any special skill, you just have to get moisture adjusted and incubate them properly.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3989590 - 03/30/05 11:56 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Mushrooms dont grow equally throughout their life. The more mycelium there is, the faster it spreads. Just the same as maturin mushrooms...they may only grow an inch over the first 3 days...then they grow another 3 inches over the last 3 days..

Besides that...water content of the substrate has to be PERFECT for optimal colonization. Along with optimal temps and a good source of genetics.

And besides that...you should shake the jars. Once the jars get about 5-15%...there are a few spots that colonize a few kernals...you shake it up and break up those kernals and you turn 5 spots of growth into 25... Then it should really take off. Its not uncommon to not see signs for 3-5 days..then by day 7ish..a shake..then by day 10-14 your almost done colonizing.

Make sure you only shake once or twice per jar..once at 5-15%, and once at 50-70% if needed (one side not colonizing well).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Slow Myc Growth? [Re: Holydiver]
    #3989833 - 03/30/05 01:14 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Diver said:
Quote:

jtk said:
They are only at about 70-75F.

That's my guess as to why they're going slow. Also, moisture content plays a part in colonization time. At low to mid 80's I get quart jars of WBS to fully colonize in 5-7 days from inoculation, and that's multispore. It doesn't take any special skill, you just have to get moisture adjusted and incubate them properly.

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Slow Myc Growth? [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #3989851 - 03/30/05 01:20 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Growth is slow because your quite a bit off the optimum temp for the quickest growth. Also you may certainly be a bit anxious. either bump temps up or have patience, those are your only real options. Upping the temps to 84F. will almost cut in half the time it that's to fully colonize or at least make a very noticeable difference. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinegoofy98
Heart of ahustler wrist ofa chemist
 User Gallery

Loc: next door
Re: Slow Myc Growth? [Re: hyphae]
    #3990098 - 03/30/05 02:16 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

at those temperatures it could be 5 weeks (pretty much Max) before its colonized. need to increase temps.

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
Re: Slow Myc Growth? [Re: goofy98]
    #4060221 - 04/15/05 08:24 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think I am havin the same problem, so I added a heating pad to my incubator.

--------------------
"One attaineth whatever state of being one thinketh about at the last when relinquishing the body, being ever absorbed in the thought thereof." - Sri Krishna to Arjuna, Bhagavad Gita, viii, 6

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation