Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
My Equipment *PICS*
    #4992739 - 11/29/05 01:10 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Hey fellow shroomery surfers,
Over the past two weeks or so, I've been building up my set of equipment. I've done some reading, gotten tips from veterans, and pondered my own ideas. So I wanted to show off my newly finished items here. These pieces of equipment are a still air glovebox, a no-water incubator, and a fancy but average joe terrarium. Here they are......

The Glove Box

Materials (about $25 grand total but the plexiglass was free for me)
One 58 qt. transparent plastic tub with a red lid.
One pair of reusable 13 inch gauntlet latex gloves
One clear piece of plexiglass measuring about 12 in. x 18 in.
Two 4 inch inside diameter pvc couplings
Two metal hose clamps large enough for the couplings
Utility Knife
Caulking Compound (doesn't really matter what kind, I used some white shit)
4 & 1/4"  Diameter Hole Saw

I cut two holes in one of the long sides of the tub, unfortunately I cracked the tub but I repaired that with caulking. I applied caulking around the insides of the holes, let it dry, then caulked in the pvc couplings. The couplings had already been fitted with the gloves over them about 3/4" or so down and held on by hose clamps. Then I cut a hole in the lid with the utility knife and caulked on the plexiglass window.

Here's the "work side" of the box. You can see the openings for your hands and how the pvc couplings are caulked in place.

Here's a bird's eye view of the opened box. You can see the couplings extending into the box and the gloves held on by hose clamps.

Here's the finished project (although some of my messy caluking job is still drying). You can see how handy it is to just happen to have a spare piece of plexiglass :smirk:.

The Terrarium

Materials (about $30-$35 total but the plexiglass was free for me)
One transparent plastic tub with a purple lid
One piece of clear plexiglass approximately measuring 12 in. x 18 in.
One 3-way outlet splitter (IDK what else to call it  :crazy:)
One nightlight with 4-watt blue christmas lightbulb
One timer switch
Two aquarium air pumps, one with two hose outlets, the other has only one
Three 1 ft. lengths of vinyl 1/4" diameter (I think) hose
Three bubble stones
Duct Tape (the handyman's secret weapon!  :grin:)
Caulking (again it doesn't matter really but I used the white shit)

I cut a hole in the lid and caulked on the plexiglass window. I cut a hole so that i could hang the nightlight inside the terrarium with the prongs of the plug sticking out of the lid. I used some duct tape to hold that in place. The three way splitter went on the outside of the lid with the nightlight plugged into it. The timer switch is then attached to the splitter's prongs. I burnt three holes through one of the short sides of the tub with a hot pair of scissors. Then I caulked the three hoses in place and I didn't need to, but I attached the bubblestones already. But now I can add some perlite and water and its good to go.

Here's the nightlight attached on the inside of the lid. Kind of a shitty pic cuz i had to take it so close for certain reasons.

Heres the hoses with the bubble stones going through the side of the tub.

Here is a shot of the caulking seal around the hoses.

Here's the finished project just without the air pumps atatched to the hoses. The three way splitter is shown over to the right as just a grey rectangle lol. Thats just because of the duct tape i used to hold it down.

The Incubator

Materials (about $25 total)
One opaque plastic tub of about an 80 qt. volume with an also opaqu lid
One thermostatically controlled space heater
One simple little red alcohol thermometer
Utility Knife

This is the simplest box here. All I did was cut a hole in one of the long sides of the tub and tape the thermometer to the bottom of one of the insides. The bottom? Yes, because heat rises so I want to know the lowest temp, not guess at it from the highest temp. The unit is in my closet and covered with a blanket to keep it dark. Theres a TEENSY wisp of light coming from the space heater which i can't do much about, but I'd probably get more of an effect from shining a normal lamp on it for 5 seconds than I will from a month of incubation in it.

This is the space heater I'm using.

This is the view of the important side of the unit in use.

And that's it! I hope you all liked my little slide show type thingy :laugh:. I also hope I inspired at least someone by showing them how easy and simple this all is and how inexpensive it is if you get creative. I have about $100 spent on this stuff (prolly less but whatever I'll just round it off) when there's all sorts of kits out there in which you don't get to have fun making the stuff and they are much more expensive for just one of these items. Also another cool thing is that the space heater is going to work great for drying any fruits I end up with. I've got some DampRid as a back up and for storage too. Have fun with everything you do with this hobby and good luck to all!

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRESTLESS
C.M.L.W.

Re: My Equipment *PICS* [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4992762 - 11/29/05 01:16 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome, good luck.

--------------------

Offlinebrandmo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My Equipment *PICS* [Re: RESTLESS]
    #4992889 - 11/29/05 01:44 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

that looks like it should work pretty good i like the inoculation box, thats pretty cool.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My Equipment *PICS* [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4992921 - 11/29/05 01:51 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Looking great  :thumbup:

Tip on the box . Go to Home Depot and get some longer gloves . Your box and mine are the same , basically . I tried gloves like that and found there to be many dead spots in my box . Places I just couldn't reach . Home Depot was the only place I could find really long gloves , around $8 .

will make using it a lot easier and less aggravating  :thumbup:

Here's something else I gained from throwing out my first glove box , lol . You kinda want that coupling to have a nice snug fit . As you move your hands around using your box , it exerts force on the coupling , soon it will wobble back and forth . The chalking isn't enough to hold it in place . The way I would do mine now is I would drill a hole to fit the piece of pipe that goes in the coupler , push a piece of pipe through the hole , cut a coupler in half and glue it on both ends of the pipe sticking through the side , That would lock it in place . Too bad I can't do that now , lol , hole's already too BIG .  :thumbdown:

Anybody interested in an awesome G/B ? LOL .

And a question for ya . How are you regulating that heater . I've had an idea like that but thought the warm air blowing though might dry the jars .

Having fun , aren't ya ?  :grin:

Good Luck

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: My Equipment *PICS* [Re: HippieChick]
    #4992971 - 11/29/05 02:05 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

oh yes it is quite some fun building all these toys of mine :laugh:

the temperature regulation is just a built in thermostat in the space heater. you can set it at 65, 70, 75, or 80 farenheit. those settings lie though. they are usually like 5-10 degrees higher so i have mine set on 75 right now. the open side of the tub allows for some of the excess heat to escape, while the blanket over it keeps that heat in so it is still available and not just lost. as for the warm dry air blowing over the jars dryign them out, yea idk i don't seem to have any problem with that. i had some jars dry out on me but that was cuz i totally fucked up on the water content of the grain to begin with so yea lol.

as for the glove box, i kno exactly wut u mean about the caulking not being sufficient to keep it from eventually busting out of place. the only reason i have it like that, well, i went to home depot today and they had everything right around the 4 inch range EXCEPT 4inch  :razz: :doublefu: :mad2: :cuss: :bomb:.... so i settled for the 4 and a quarter inch hole saw bit. i had no other choice lol.

now the fact that you told me you got long gloves like that at home depot jus totally pisses me off cuz i was just there today...well technically yesterday at this point, but i couldnt find them anywhere! so  i settled for the 13 inchers (that sounds dirty  :wink:). given the size of my glovebox i have no deadspots, bt if i were to have a larger glove box like i wanted to have then i'd certainly need those longer gloves. so yea next GB i build hopefull I'll have a bigger box, longer gloves and a 4 inch hole saw bit. and hopefully i wont crack it right off the bat when cuting the second hole  :enraged: :foreheadslap:.

well, i made this advance in myequipment at this present time, maybe in the future ill go up to a martha set up like yours (hippiechick) and high quality laminar flow hood....ahhh dreaming is fun while it lasts then when you come back to reality it can suck sometimes lol.

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinealsnow469
Stranger

Re: My Equipment *PICS* [Re: brandmo]
    #4992993 - 11/29/05 02:12 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

JAmm up jelly down Home skillet!!

Very niche. :cool:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order