Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Loc: Flip Side
Strains and Spawn matters, what combo to use?
    #3968296 - 03/25/05 12:54 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

There are so many different factors with casing/spawning.

I haven't decided what strain I want to get, but I do know I want to use WBS jars and spawn the cakes.

I've looked over all the guides and FAQ's. My questions are the following:

1. Do certain substrates (BRF,Rye,WBS) yield/grow better on particular spawn matters? For instance, if I was using WBS would I want to use coco coir, moss, or poo/straw? I want to go with WBS and buy some 50/50 pre pasturized poo/straw mix from Tennessee Stud, but is that the best choice for my substrate?

2. The same question, but regarding strains. Do some strains work out better on say rye/coco coir as opposed to wbs/poo&straw?

3. I want good visuals, I know potency mostly is dependant upon the environment the mushrooms grow in, but I've also heard that certain strains do have varying trip effects. Can anyone recommend a strain for me? I've heard that mezaptec (sp) are good for solid visuals.

Thank all you great people for your help on my journey.  :stoned:

--------------------
PAN CYAN & AZURE FOR TRADE

"If ignorance is bliss, THEN KNOCK THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!" - Zach de la Rocha

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: Strains and Spawn matters, what combo to use? [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
    #3968410 - 03/25/05 01:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

1. first of all, you don't use grains to spawn coco coir or moss (i don't even know if moss is used, i bet it isn't. coco coir is for casing. look up casing. poo/straw is what you spawn to ie. you add colonized wbs jars to pasturized poo/straw. again, look up "bulk" this is where you'll see info on pasturizing and preparing straw and or poo.

2. i don't know if certain strains work better on certain substrates, any strain will do really. if there are differences they are most likely minimal. i'm sure mazapatec is a good choice.

3. a cube is a cube, they will not yield different effects other than placebo effects created by the doser.

you've done a good job reading and getting some background but you need a bit more knowledge to start a grow. i would suggest going for a casing tek. try making wbs jars and then follow a casing tek. good luck.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Strains and Spawn matters, what combo to use? [Re: TODAY]
    #3968483 - 03/25/05 01:46 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

My confusion is the difference in procedure between "spawning" and just casing.

Casing would be taking the colonized substrate cake and breaking it up, laying it on top of a layer of verm, then placing a mix of verm and another medium (coco coir, moss, etc) on top of the substrate layer.

Then the only difference between casing and spawning is you are mixing the colonized substrate with a poo/straw mixture, and then casing layer on top of that (coco, moss, etc) correct?

I am pretty confident I can do the spawning I just need to get my procedure worked out on paper. So I'm trying to clarify methods first.

--------------------

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#3969102 - 03/25/05 04:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Are these correct definitions of the terms?

--------------------

Offlinegoofy98
Heart of ahustler wrist ofa chemist
 User Gallery

Loc: next door
    #3969194 - 03/25/05 04:39 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The spawn (your wbs) will work geat on the staw and :poop:.  Tennesee stud is awesome and i would recommend them.  You spawn into poo to get a larg amount of shrooms.  Your basiclly gaining nutes and their will be alot more myc becuase of the increased substrate.  Yes then you would case with the coco ocir and verm after the poo had been colonized by the myc after spawning. 

You could just not case the poo and fruit directly from that.  That works but the best thing to do is case it.

The problem with just casing the broken up WBS is that there are not alot of nutrients for many big flushes.  If you are just looking for personal amounts i would go with this method a couple trays will make more then you would eat in a year. 

If you are looking to supply your friends or just eat them everyday for a year or two then you should go with spawning the poo. 

Hope that helps.  :mushroomgrow:

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3969260 - 03/25/05 05:05 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

You need to get your terms to coincide with the proceedures your talking about.

Spawn - WBS, Rye, Millet, Grains, BRF mix etc. made in jars to create fruitable cakes or broken apart to be spawn substrate.

Substrate - Straw, Horse poop, Cow shit, or a mix of same. Usually pasturized before being seeded with spawn. (can also be large amounts of spawn only that has been cased)

Casing - Peat, Verm, Coco Coir, or mixes of same (also, additions to... as Lime, Oyster shell, Calcium Carbonate). Placed on top of Substrate to create a self sustaining humid environment for the substrate, has little or no nutritrional value!

The Strain you chose is irrelevant to the materials you chose to work with.

Enjoy the Experimenting  :smile:

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Strains and Spawn matters, what combo to use? [Re: Shdwstr]
    #3970065 - 03/25/05 09:21 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Cleared up all my confusions.
Now to make my materials list, and write out the procedure.
I think I'll try quart jars of WBS incubated in a double bin w/ submerged water heater. Then mix it with the Tennessee stud, and top it all off w/ coco/verm.
Sound like a good plan?
I don't think I've seen any particular teks on how to add the spawn cakes with the substrate. Are there any guidelines to follow in regards to how much substrate to mix with the colonized spawn? 1:1? 2:1 spawn:substrate? Also after I mix it do I incubate it again with or without the casing? When do I know the time is right to shock/move it to grow chamber?

I'm sorry if I'm asking question readily answered by info on the site but I've looked it over quite a few times and don't remember seeing anything going over this. I'll go double check again now to make sure. Thank you again!  :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3970129 - 03/25/05 09:54 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Proceedure sounds much better.
Amount of spawn to substrate varies from 1/2 pint to a gallon.
It's really a personal choice, there is no right or wrong.
The more spawn you use, the faster your colonizing will be.
After you add the spawn to your substrate you re-incubate and add your casing layer. Casing layer can be added the next day(after recovery) or when your substrate is almost or fully colonized.
When you see the casing layer show mycellium, it's time to initiate pinning.

The rest you will have to learn by reading the teks, and by experimenting yourself  :cool:

Have fun!

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#3971242 - 03/26/05 02:55 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, thank you again for your input. Can't wait to get this goin.

--------------------

Offlineprototypical_man
ass model

Loc: Doral Florida
    #3971447 - 03/26/05 04:23 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I do have to say this guy is asking good questions for a noob

I however would suggest doing some wbs casings to start , befor moving onto bulk ...

--------------------
I have 29 Strains as of current.. I LOVE TO TRADE. See my bio for the strains I currently have.

I seek: Strains I don't have, exotic species, Edibles, Vacutainers, A accurate scale, chicken manure, worm castings, worms for making my own worm castings, plastic lids for mason jars, light malt extract, Kelp Meal, A Ph Tester, A microscope.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Strains and Spawn matters, what combo to use? [Re: prototypical_man]
    #3971470 - 03/26/05 04:54 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know. I started with cakes and have had great success. I started some WBS about 10 day's ago and was planning on casing with a 60/40 Verm./Coir. Didn't have the time to go get poo/straw and fix it up. I think I'm gonna try some of that Tennesse Shit. The results seem to be worth it. Not that expensive. By the way, the instructions on the website said you mix it 10:1, "SHIT" to WBS or whatever you're using. Do a couple of each and see what this "SHIT" is all about. WBS vs. the "SHIT". Gotta' have something to do to kill the time, patience is a virtue, but it's boring. I don't know what you "old" timer's do? My GOD, Agar, what do you do? They say some people are as old as dirt, and I find that hard to believe, but I know you're at least as old as mushroom's. LOL. At least I still have my "Firsts" to look forward to.
Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Edited by HippieChick (03/26/05 05:01 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation