Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
dream observer

Loc: maryland Flag
why do ssri's turn people suicidal??
    #3945507 - 03/20/05 07:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

...as in anti-depresents, should'nt they have the opposite effect? :shrug:

i mean, i'm not looking into getting a prescription or anything, just i've heard about this for a long time now, and now i gotta ask...?

hello, your name is life on earth

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Re: why do ssri's turn people suicidal?? [Re: JCoke]
    #3946690 - 03/20/05 11:44 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

what goes up must come down

i think the people are suicidal before they took the ssri's anyhow

Re: why do ssri's turn people suicidal?? [Re: fresh313]
    #3947389 - 03/21/05 04:22 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Because you're fucking with serotonin receptors man. It will fluctuate, it's not a consistent chemical release even with drugs.

Fuck Up

Loc: UK
Re: why do ssri's turn people suicidal?? [Re: NosferatuMan]
    #3949060 - 03/21/05 03:41 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

SSRI Antidepressants, Suicidal Feelings and Young People

There is evidence of increased suicidal thoughts and behaviors and other side effects in young people taking antidepressants. So SSRI antidepressants, with the exception of Prozac, are not approved by the FDA for use in people under 18.

In fact, in 2004, the FDA ordered the strongest safety warning possible:

Antidepressants increase the risk of suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality) in children and adolescents with major depressive disorder (MDD) and other psychiatric disorders. Anyone considering the use of [Drug Name] or any other antidepressant in a child or adolescent must balance this risk with the clinical need.

The complete black box warning and additional details on antidepressant use in children and adolescents can be found here.

There is no clear evidence of an increased risk of self-harm and suicidal thoughts in adults - age 18 years or over. But, individuals mature at different rates. Young adults are more likely to commit suicide than older adults, so a young adult should be particularly closely monitored if he or she takes an SSRI antidepressant.

.... Not really an answer, but its on the point non the less  :shrug:

Hope that helps a little.
Mushie Man  :mushroom2:

Ecstacy got me standing next to you
Getting sentimental as fuck spillin' guts to you
We just met
But I think I'm in love with you
But you're on it too
So you tell me you love me too
Wake up in the morning like "yo, what the fuck we do?"

Mad Scientist

Re: why do ssri's turn people suicidal?? [Re: Mushie_Man]
    #3949306 - 03/21/05 04:24 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Presumably due to "homeostasis", or as someone said a few posts up "What comes up must come down".

In short, imagine taking an SSRI, which causes an increase in serotonin levels. Upon this happening, essentially the brain says:
"WTF? theres way too much serotonin in here", and beings to clear it and downregulate it. In doing so it likely overshoots its setpoint and winds up with less serotonin than before.

To add onto what mushie said, the increase in suicide is "thought" to occur only in the first few weeks of treatment (although as he said, there is a large debate about this and now it appears the claim of increased suicide risk is not supported).

In any event, after several weeks of treatment, the mechanisms regulating serotonin (preusmably the 5-HT1A autoreceptor) cannot continuously keep up with the increased serotonin and are downregulated and/or desensitized. This results in an overall increase in serotonin and the therapeutics effects of the SSRI's.

...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: why do ssri's turn people suicidal?? [Re: badchad]
    #3955710 - 03/22/05 09:52 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Being a Zoloft user, my understanding of the drug is this.

After the few weeks it takes to kick in, it boosts your seratonin levels considereably higher than what your body would normally produce. While continually taking the drug, using any other drugs that mess with seratonin levels or missing any doses of of your medication will significantly drop your seratonin level thus increasing the likelyhood of suicidal tendencies.

What do I do when I'm feelin down? I smoke a POWERBONG for instant seratonin boost, then think about my signature and how funny suicide really is!  I am 27 so am perfectly capable of handling my emotions but young people are often confused, frustrated, inexperienced, scared, and don't know what to do.

Edited by kronnyQ (03/22/05 09:54 PM)

Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: why do ssri's turn people suicidal?? [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3976771 - 03/27/05 06:55 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

All I know is that I'm never taking anotehr SSRI. I think it permanently screwed me up; I'm always miserable.

Delicious Pizza

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being