Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, St. John's Wort

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
Successful Antidepressants
    #3195226 - 09/29/04 01:05 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

In light of the recent antidepressant threads going around I was curious as to how many of you have been on them. But in particular I am curious to know which ones worked/work for you, if any of them did work. And I'll add a poll to make it more interesting.
Have you tried an antidepressant?
You may choose only one
yes
no
Was it successful?
You may choose only one
yes
no

Votes accepted from (09/29/04 02:00 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll | Filter by response

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrovesk8ter
honestyopenmindednesswillingness
 User Gallery

Loc: Langley, B.C
Re: Successful Antidepressants [Re: Locus]
    #3195239 - 09/29/04 01:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I was on prozac when i was younger and it made me a zombie. Then lately I was put on celexa and decided to quit myslef, went through the same thing with trazodone.
Personally i think the only people who should be on anti-depressents are those who cant be stopped from ripping thier skin off or trying to commit suicide all the time. Trazodone did wonders for my sleeping though.

Edited by Grovesk8ter (09/29/04 01:08 PM)

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #3195246 - 09/29/04 01:09 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have been on amitryptaline. Not for depression but for nerve pain. It works great for that.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineAsanteA
light your candle on my love
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
    #3195289 - 09/29/04 01:25 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I am on LAMICTAL which originally was an antiepileptic drug but now is used as an antidepressant-mood stabilizer.

I was sceptical but over the years I have become a believer: It enhances mood a tad and at the same time it stabilizes that.
Sounds good? It is :evil:

The only real snag is that you need a doctors supervision as you might get skinrashes in the first months which suddenly may become crippling. (about 1% of people who are eased into the drug get this type of rash called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, one of the most horrible skin afflictions around)
If you do not get this rash you usually will have no major side effects. I'm on 1 x 200mg daily, which is a lot, yet I have no side-effects others then a tendency to greasy skin.

As this is an antidepressant AND a mood stabilizer that is still not too known among doctors it might be wise to alert your doctor to Lamictal if you have mood swings, especially those involving depression.

Hooray for Lamictal! Better Living Through Chemistry:thumbup:

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

InvisibleYoung_but_cool
Stranger
Male

Loc: Old Europe
    #3195810 - 09/29/04 03:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I haven't been on any synthetic antidepressants, although I take St. Johns wort every year, which I find to be very effective for winters blues. Take standardized extract (3 X 300 mg/day). Fish oil, and of course physical exercise, are great things as well. A lot of people swear by S. Divinorum, although I haven't used it for that purpose.

Edited by Young_but_cool (09/29/04 10:29 PM)

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#3195976 - 09/29/04 04:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I took wellbutrien to quit smoking. It was rough for the first few weeks but actually stabled me out quite a bit over a few months. I then tapered off and never needed to go back.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Successful Antidepressants [Re: Barbi]
    #3196304 - 09/29/04 05:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Celexa made me a zombie as well and all I ever thought about was fucking killind myself. The first few days were absolutely horrid, I swear I had seritonen poisoning but passed out too many times to go to the hospital. And my doctor just said I was "fine". FUCKER!!!! :mad2:

Anyways, after that I thought I was getting better, I changed my attitude and persona, but something was holding my progress back. As I continued taking celexa it literally felt like there was a fucking barrier from keeping me happy, which was very odd. I realized that it was a peice of shit drug that I could do without, and tried cutting my doses in half to prevent the horrible withdrawal..... wrongo!!! Lucky me, I got to roll around on the floor in the more horrible pain and nausea I've ever had in my life. People say that the withdrawal from this drug can be compared to cocaine withdrawal, and I beleive them. I was only on 10mg doses a day as well, holy shit!!!! I know people who take twice that, bless their souls and hope they make it through thing.

Fuck antidepressants. You don't need them. Fuck ssri's into the ground. Fuck pharmecutical companies and fuck all the rich doctors who hand out "antidepressants" like candy. My doctor's a peice, he misdiagnosed my grandma and she almost died (She's had hemochromatosis for years and the fuck overlooked it!!!), my mom and I have both had discrepencies with that peice of shit and now I'm at the point where if I ever see him on the streets, I'm going to unleash a can of whoopass on him. I have no compassion for him whatsoever (This is very uncommon for me).

Be careful, guys. The best way to overcome depression is on your own, or with help from loving friends and family. Wouldn't you rather do that, than rely on a drug?? Even if the drugs do work, you haven't overcome depression because it can just come back. Who wants to be dependant on a few milligrams of shit for the rest of their lives? I can't beleive I took the drugs in the first place. I'm ashamed.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #3196687 - 09/29/04 07:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

St. John's Wort :thumbup:

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #3196852 - 09/29/04 08:19 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i took zoloft... it did it's thing, but after a month and a half or so i was pretty sure i didn't need it anymore, so i stopped. haven't looked back.

i actually stopped taking it because i was showing signs of excess serotonin (sweating w/o physical exertion, weight gain, etc)...

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#3197430 - 09/29/04 10:26 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I've taken a wide range of anti-depressents, and found Remeron & Effexor to be extremely effective. The others were so-so at best, but I also wasn't as commited to psychotherapy at the time, which is still extremely effective as well.

I think anti-depressents are going to work differently for different people, so it's hard to recommend one over the other, but it's worth trying it if you need it. They don't magically make everything better, but they can be very helpful.

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Successful Antidepressants [Re: Twirling]
    #3199249 - 09/30/04 10:35 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I've taken a wide range as well. And I came to the exact same conclusion. Remeron and Effexor was extremely effective. I didn't have luck with any of the others. But that combination was very effective. The only downside was the also very effective adverse effects.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Successful Antidepressants [Re: browndustin]
    #3199258 - 09/30/04 10:37 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Keep in mind though, there is a difference between having a chemical imbalance and having situational depression.

--------------------

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: Successful Antidepressants [Re: browndustin]
    #3200747 - 09/30/04 06:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

browndustin said:
Celexa made me a zombie as well and all I ever thought about was fucking killind myself. The first few days were absolutely horrid, I swear I had seritonen poisoning but passed out too many times to go to the hospital. And my doctor just said I was "fine". FUCKER!!!! :mad2:

Anyways, after that I thought I was getting better, I changed my attitude and persona, but something was holding my progress back. As I continued taking celexa it literally felt like there was a fucking barrier from keeping me happy, which was very odd. I realized that it was a peice of shit drug that I could do without, and tried cutting my doses in half to prevent the horrible withdrawal..... wrongo!!! Lucky me, I got to roll around on the floor in the more horrible pain and nausea I've ever had in my life. People say that the withdrawal from this drug can be compared to cocaine withdrawal, and I beleive them. I was only on 10mg doses a day as well, holy shit!!!! I know people who take twice that, bless their souls and hope they make it through thing.

Fuck antidepressants. You don't need them. Fuck ssri's into the ground. Fuck pharmecutical companies and fuck all the rich doctors who hand out "antidepressants" like candy. My doctor's a peice, he misdiagnosed my grandma and she almost died (She's had hemochromatosis for years and the fuck overlooked it!!!), my mom and I have both had discrepencies with that peice of shit and now I'm at the point where if I ever see him on the streets, I'm going to unleash a can of whoopass on him. I have no compassion for him whatsoever (This is very uncommon for me).

Be careful, guys. The best way to overcome depression is on your own, or with help from loving friends and family. Wouldn't you rather do that, than rely on a drug?? Even if the drugs do work, you haven't overcome depression because it can just come back. Who wants to be dependant on a few milligrams of shit for the rest of their lives? I can't beleive I took the drugs in the first place. I'm ashamed.

Wow, that's exactly how I felt, man.  I used to take Lexapro because my counselor and psychiatrist brainwashed me telling me I had depression.  It was bullshit.  Like someone said up there, "situational depression" or whatever.  I was just depressed/frustrated whenver I was around my home life.  I was started out on a 5mg dose of Lexapro and it didn't do a damn thing, so the doctor kepting upping my dose until I was taking 20mg! Twice the "average" dose!!  After about 8 months I decided that it was placebo, I never had a problem, and that the doctor was just a money-hungry fool.  I quit "cold turkey" and withdrawal was *%@!&!()*%@&.  For the first day or 2 I didn't even know that I was in withdrawal because I didn't think that a drug like this could cause me to feel as bad as I did considering it never helped me in any way.  I thought that I was getting sick, but then I looked back at during the time that I was taking it everyday, and randomly, some times I'd feel like I had the flu for 24 hours and I realized that this must have been days that I missed my dose.

Basically withdrawal was being really sweaty, extremely unstable mood, feeling like I had "electric" pulses in my brain (I thought I had a pulse inside my head), feeling cold, paranoid, and frustrated.  Wasn't as bad as heroin withdrawal, but was pretty cruddy for a drug they give out like candy to all ages of people whom they decide are "depressed".

It's been close to a year since I stopped, and I have this strange feeling that the drug permanently affected me.  I feel like I actually have a chemical imbalance now, (ven though I'm not depressed).  I've never heard of an SSRI causing permanent damage though.  I've been looking into it.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: Successful Antidepressants [Re: Asante]
    #3208833 - 10/03/04 02:45 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I am on Lamictal as well Wiccan, but my body is so sensitive I had to reduce the dosing from 10mg every other day to 7.5mg every other day. The stuff works wonders, or used to for me, it feels like its a load on my body now.

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
    #3210598 - 10/03/04 07:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Ive been on meds since i was probably 8 or 9 years old (21 now)...ive gone through all the different generations of antidepressants and anti-anxiolytic drugs, and the conclusion that i have come to is this:

I was depressed/anxious because i didnt understand alot of things about life that i needed to understand. Until that time came, angst was produced. I stopped all my meds about 2 months ago, and i have to say that im doing quite fine. The fact that i came to terms with things and am constantly exploring and introspecting is the key for me.

Meds can be a temporary soltuion for an appropriate depression, but beyond that the core issues must be dealt with. Its easy to stick someone on meds and keep them there for a long time, shit alot of places are sponsored by med companies, so they want to give out drugs. But meds are no substitution for growing.

--Krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

InvisibleAmethyst_Acid
Digital Ruler
Female

#3211876 - 10/04/04 12:51 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i have been on zoloft, wellbutrin, paxil, serzone, prozac, effexor, risperdal, and buspar. i take trazodone as a sleeping pill, though it is an antidepressant.
paxil is horrible.
serzone made me dizzy
zoloft helps with anxiety.
prozac is pretty good.
i am indifferent to the res.
oh btw risperdal is actually an antipsychotic but sometimes used for depression

i've come to the comclusion that if you have depression you're pretty much FUCKED. this after 7 years of hospital stays, doctors, and treatments.

InvisibleLoosifa
none
 User Gallery

Loc: England (South) Flag
    #3214274 - 10/04/04 04:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Prozac changed my life. I was a neurotic, self harming bulimic heroin tranx stimulant ridden piece of shit. I had a breakdown a few years ago, and was put on Prozac. I am now happy nearly all of the time, and when I am not, I know it will pass.
I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it certainly worked for me, and my best friend too.
My partner is trying it now, after a long period of depression. Wish him luck!

--------------------
LURK

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #3214453 - 10/04/04 05:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well....I've been going through a rather large array of methods for treating my depression. I continually go to therapy, and have been on various meds, like Celexa, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, and now Atomoxetine (though it's marketed as an anti-ADD med it's also an anti-depressant). None of them have really helped me. Wellbutin just seemed to make me feel doped up. I've tried 5-HTP with little effect (maybe I need a higher dose?). I know from experience that if I live a better lifestyle, as in getting actually outdoors and exercising more, I would be happier. However the problem is I have about as much motivation as someone who's stoned to run a marathon (which would probably be very little).

I don't like reuptake inhibitors in general (although that's what all of my anti-depressants have been). I think it's practical if you have a chemical imbalance (say not enough serotonin) to supplement with serotonin, not just reuse the serotonin you have. Which is why I want to use L-Typtophan...figures that my psychopharmacologist is extraordinarily wary of trying anything that hasn't been proven safe (but he is more than willing to prescribe anti-depressants that have been rushed through testing and have absolutely no long term testing).

I found that adderall gives me the motivation to be active and lead a better lifestyle (the one time I tried it), unfortunately it's addicting and can deplete the brain of dopamine.

Sigh...someday I'll find something...I hope...

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #3215059 - 10/04/04 07:43 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I've probably been on at least 7 different antidepressant drugs (way more if you count anti-anxiety drugs, sleep medecine, and others), and I have to say, for whatever reason, that all the SSRIs have helped me in some way.  My serotonin system is just fucked up somehow.  I was diagnosed with moderate/severe depression, and moderate/severe anxiety (particularly social anxiety), a long time ago.

I've been seeing a wonderful psychiatrist who has been unbelievably helpful (actually to most of my family, too), and knows his shit pretty well when it comes to psychopharmacology.  I also understand at least the basics of psychopharmacology, which helps.  Basically, we've been experimenting with, and tweaking my neurotransmitter levels to try and get the best results.  But he's not one of those "give him some pills and send him on his way" psychiatrists.  Therapy is always of paramount importance.

The main side effect I've noticed over the years with the antidepressants has been decreased libido.  That's all right though, because without them, I'd be very depressed and a bit horny.  :tongue2:

Right now I'm on Effexor, Wellbutrin, and Klonopin.  All three are noticeably working pretty well for me right now.  Effexor is an SSRI which also works on the neurotransmitter norepinephrine - which is also sometimes called noradrenaline.  It is responsible for the "fight-or-flight" response that people are supposed to get when they are in a threatening situation, but others get for no apparent reason, which are called panic attacks.

Wellbutrin works on the neurotransmitter dopamine.  It is an "SDRI".  Dopamine is typically associated with pleasure, but has also been linked to things such as energy level.  My energy level is very very poor.  Currently, we are experimenting (carefully) with using it at 600mg a day and above.  The "maximum" therapeutic dose is 400mg - but I metabolize the drug faster than most people. (which makes me feel special)  :smile:

Klonopin is one of the benzodiazepines (anti-anxiety drugs), like Xanax and Valium.  The benzodiazepines work on the neurotransmitter GABA, which has an inhibiting, relaxing effect.  (They facilitate the binding of GABA to it's receptor sites.)  I have tried many different drugs for anxiety, and almost all the benzodiazepines, and they truly are the "magic bullet" for anxiety.  Most good doctors will be hesitant in prescribing them, since they can be addictive.  Klonopin is nice because it's effect is about in the middle of the spectrum of benzodiazepines in terms of power of effect, plus it has a very long half life - so you're not popping pills every 6 hours.

- J.

Offlinethelion
Re: Successful Antidepressants [Re: Kremlin]
    #3216511 - 10/05/04 01:17 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Kremlin said:Ive been on meds since i was probably 8 or 9 years old (21 now)...ive gone through all the different generations of antidepressants and anti-anxiolytic drugs, and the conclusion that i have come to is this:

I was depressed/anxious because i didnt understand alot of things about life that i needed to understand. Until that time came, angst was produced. I stopped all my meds about 2 months ago, and i have to say that im doing quite fine. The fact that i came to terms with things and am constantly exploring and introspecting is the key for me.

Meds can be a temporary soltuion for an appropriate depression, but beyond that the core issues must be dealt with. Its easy to stick someone on meds and keep them there for a long time, shit alot of places are sponsored by med companies, so they want to give out drugs. But meds are no substitution for growing.

Amen to that brother, Amen to that.

Its a particularly sticky situation being on meds, and trying to just grow as a human being. On the one hand it is best to let go of yourself so one may grow and learn to grow, but not so much that you lose control and wind up hurting somone or hurting yourself. It can be a very fine line.

Being on meds has stunted growth from my experience.

Edited by thelion (10/05/04 01:23 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, St. John's Wort

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being