Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Coir, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
stalled bulk casing now showing cobweb, new option or steam ahead?
    #3942974 - 03/20/05 09:02 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

casing has stalled at the casing layer for a little while now. today there was cobweb in some spots. i misted with peroxidated water and scooped out the spots where it was.

Im wondering if i should just dig out all of the casing layer, maybe dunk the casing, and then flip the big ass tub i made it in over and have a cake thats a third of my body weight. I cant think of much else to try, and im not sure if i trust this casing layer at all.

so what does everyone think? Cake, try to dig out and then replace casing layer, or just let it go?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: stalled bulk casing now showing cobweb, new option or steam ahead? [Re: kilgore_trout]
    #3942985 - 03/20/05 09:07 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

1st I would like to know why growth stalled. If you dont remove that cause, likely to have slow growth again.

Bad ventilation maybe, low temperatures, too wet? Cobweb likes # 1 and 3.
Actually after 1 flush I had a bulkcasing which I birthed into a cake. It works nicely.

--------------------

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: stalled bulk casing now showing cobweb, new option or steam ahead? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3943011 - 03/20/05 09:24 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

the casing layer seemed too thick before and when i took some off the top the lower level of the casing layer seemed a bit dry. i still have a lid on it and am trying to keep moisture in so it wasnt getting a lot of ventilation, but its not in a fruiting chamber so i guess ill have to keep giving it air exchange still to keep mold off and just mist to keep it hydrated. Probably was wet, especially where droplets might have fallen, theres a lot of condensation forming large drops.

the substrate layer is like thick fucking rubber. but im very worried about cobewb forming throughout the casing. maybe i should just put it straight into the fruiting chamber, whether it gets recased or not.

hope that helped. thanks a lot.

ps-ive seen large cakes like that in growlogs and it didnt seem too bad, a lot of surface area.

Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
Re: stalled bulk casing now showing cobweb, new option or steam ahead? [Re: kilgore_trout]
    #3943043 - 03/20/05 09:36 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

what are you using for a casing and how did you prepare it?
if its a small area of cobweb. scoop it out gently. go an inch around all infected areas. i dont scrape down to the substrate. my casings are 1 to 1.5 inches thick. i then liberally sprinkle a combination of salt and baking soda on the infected area.
increase your ventilation. if your casing is hard like rubber i think you have a problem. the mycelium wont like to grow through that.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: stalled bulk casing now showing cobweb, new option or steam ahead? [Re: brewwhaha1]
    #3943127 - 03/20/05 09:57 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

the substrate layer is like thick rubber not the casing. i used coir, verm, a little perlite, and peroxidated water. no sterilization. other casings made same way have had no problems, so i doubt its the mix or the sterilization that really made the diff. prob the wetness and ventilation like you said.

my casing layer wass drying out and not wanting to colonize the casing so i reduced the thickness so it would actually rehydrate at the bottom when misting. So i would be going down to the substrate layer. ill try sprinkling salt on the spots that i remember there being cobweb. will that hurt myc in that area when it tries to colonize? Im still worried about the casing, i keep getting the feeling that all i did was spread the cobweb around and the whole thing will be fucked soon. thats just me, though, and contam-fever.

Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
    #3943167 - 03/20/05 10:07 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

you wont get growth were you dump the salt. but it will kill the cob. somtimes you get lucky and can remove the cobw. sometimes it stires it up so much the whole things fucked like you said. time and patiece will tell.

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

#3943236 - 03/20/05 10:24 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You should poke holes in it. If you place a lid on your casing its not able to "breath".
Casing layer should be as wet as "field capacity" = when you squeeze it firmly in your hand a few small drops drip out. Almost, but not 100%, saturated.

--------------------

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: stalled bulk casing now showing cobweb, new option or steam ahead? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3943290 - 03/20/05 10:37 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i think the whole thing is pulling away from the sides from losing water all this time. i think i might just do a big cake and start over in the tub currently being used. i cannot find the threads ive seen in the past where people have dont large flat cakes such as what im describing. you said you did it, did you do a growlog? I'd like to weigh my options and i do not feel my yeild will be satisfactory with salt all over the fucking casing and cobweb perhaps still popping up. ill start looking for a suitable chamber just in case.

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

#3943403 - 03/20/05 11:13 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I did a growlog of the first flush.

Then the substrate pulled away from the sides and I got massive sidepinning. Then I decided to just birth it as a PF cake.

Nothing special, I also injected sterile water in it with a syringe. Straw is tough to rehydrate imho.

After this I also got bottom pins. Cause the casing layer had been exposed to ligt a lot. So I flipped it again.

It got me 3 flushes cakewise. Removed it yesterday to make place for new casings.

Here is the growlog : http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3662015/an/0/page/3

--------------------

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #3943416 - 03/20/05 11:18 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

mine is a rez-effect rye casing with both top and bottom casing layers.
Doing a cake might be my best option.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Coir, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation