Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Dehydrator, Malt Extract, Rye Grain, Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSHROOMpimp
719 Colorado 719
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between the turntables...
getting nutes back to your cakes via karo/honey water??
    #3940932 - 03/19/05 07:03 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

i saw a post in the advanced forum by moe that said he's been keeping a casing alive for 3 1/2 months through 18 flushes... by rehydrating it w/ an agar slurry mix or something.. ok, could you do this by making a karo tek jar, or honey water tek, and draw some of the steril mixture into a syringe, then give each cake a little boost w/ this mix? like after each flush? been thinking of trying on 1 cake to see how much it differs or if it helps at all... just curious if anyone else has tried it...

--------------------
:safesex: Just My $0.02... :safesex:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere
Re: getting nutes back to your cakes via karo/honey water?? [Re: SHROOMpimp]
    #3941398 - 03/19/05 08:53 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

I've seen crazier shit work, but IMO, its to big a contam risk.

Then again, you'll never know unless u try it.

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #3941428 - 03/19/05 09:01 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

and you believed him?

lolzz

tsk tsk tsk

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Re: getting nutes back to your cakes via karo/honey water?? [Re: Roadkill]
    #3941482 - 03/19/05 09:12 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

:lol: :crazy2:

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

Re: getting nutes back to your cakes via karo/honey water?? [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #3941496 - 03/19/05 09:16 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

ive takein old bulk pans, skrape off the caseing layer and broke up mixed with more pasturized poo and made to pans with great succes.

--------------------
TONS OF SPORES TO TRADE PM ME!!!!

InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Re: getting nutes back to your cakes via karo/honey water?? [Re: THEDANGLER]
    #3941512 - 03/19/05 09:21 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Thats super spawning (sorta) and that works :thumbup:, but thats not what he's talking about.
Re-read the title..."getting nutes back to your cakes via karo/honey water??"

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Re: getting nutes back to your cakes via karo/honey water?? [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #3941547 - 03/19/05 09:35 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Tried it. Didn't contam but I didn't notice any difference with the no kyro dunked cakes as far a yeilds or lifetime.

--------------------
Flashbacks are God's way of saying, "This one's on me".

OfflineSHROOMpimp
719 Colorado 719
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between the turntables...
Re: getting nutes back to your cakes via karo/honey water?? [Re: ymhrswrider]
    #3941758 - 03/19/05 11:06 PM (12 years, 13 days ago)

"I managed to keep a whole casing alive and flushing for 3 1/2 months so far by injecting it with a slurry of sterilized malt agar extract and rye. I water it and change the light on a rotating schedule. The type is b+

When the flushes get weak, or I get alot of aborts, I inject 2 CCs of my slurry in the 4 corners and in the center of the casing. The casing is getting hard though, so I started to add straws of hay to the casing. It is slowly taking over the hay and building. Temp is 78 and is varied +/- 5 degrees. The size is 12 in by 12 in
number of flushes to date is 18. The number of shrooms vary from 5 to 13 per flush. Not counting aborts. I think I am going to name it. "

that above was from Moe Howard... i was just kinda referring to what he's talking about... not sure if he's bull shitting tho... i was just looking for insight..

SHROOMpimp

--------------------
:safesex: Just My $0.02... :safesex:

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
    #3948094 - 03/21/05 11:04 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

seems exagerrated and very suspect to me.

Adding malt extract agar to a rye slurry is not only redundant, but a bad idea if you're trying to make something injectable. Malt extract is made from rye. The agar in the solution would also gel before it could be cooled enough to be safe to inject.

And what gauge needle is this guy using to be able to inject a rye slurry into his casing? The ones I have (probably the same as his if he bought a spore syringe) sure as hell wouldn't work. Hell, the only thing I can think of is those needleless syringes they use to give babies and pets medicine, but how would you inject anything with that?

Plus, I don't know about his casings... but if any of mine had somehow lasted 3&1/2 months they'd have shrunk to practically nothing by then.

Because of increased contamination risk, dubious reults, and a lack of evidence (i.e. other people doing it too) I am highly doubtful that there is anything you can do to keep a casing alive once it's exhausted it's supply of nutrients. The carbohydrates in a honey/karo water solution alone will not supply everything the fungus needs to produce fruit. They also need minerals, amino acids, things like lignin, etc... You are probably better off just injecting water so that the mycelium doesn't dehydrate before it can fully digest all the rye in the casing. If it doesn't contaminate, you will maybe get an extra flush or two.

If you insist on adding honey or karo, do it in small ammounts. With an abundance of carbohydrates, and a lack of the things i mentioned above, contams will likely flourish. Also, do a controlled experiment. Like if you have at least three casings, only inject water in one, honey water in the other, and nothing in the third. See what happens and make up your own mind.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3948145 - 03/21/05 11:25 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

SHROOMpimp said:
"I managed to keep a whole casing alive and flushing for 3 1/2 months so far by injecting it with a slurry of sterilized malt agar extract and rye. I water it and change the light on a rotating schedule. The type is b+

When the flushes get weak, or I get alot of aborts, I inject 2 CCs of my slurry in the 4 corners and in the center of the casing. The casing is getting hard though, so I started to add straws of hay to the casing. It is slowly taking over the hay and building. Temp is 78 and is varied +/- 5 degrees. The size is 12 in by 12 in
number of flushes to date is 18. The number of shrooms vary from 5 to 13 per flush. Not counting aborts. I think I am going to name it. "

that above was from Moe Howard... i was just kinda referring to what he's talking about... not sure if he's bull shitting tho... i was just looking for insight..

SHROOMpimp

If you want to take advice from someone who either uses hay as a substrate, or someone who calls straw hay, thats your perogative. I wouldnt though. Adding a long term buffer to your casing mix is the best way to prolong a casing. You can get 8-10 flushes out of a well maintained casing with a buffer added...after the 3-4th flush though, its not really worth it. Fresh substrate performs much better, why waste the chamber space.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: getting nutes back to your cakes via karo/honey water?? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3948476 - 03/21/05 01:10 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

I've used soy milk in dunks with cakes and casings both with minimal success. I think scat said it best. Your additives are better introduced in your substrate preperation. Trying to extend the life of a worn out casing with a nute dunk is only going to give contams the upper hand. That's just IME's with nute dunks.

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: getting nutes back to your cakes via karo/honey water?? [Re: Hotnuts]
    #3948553 - 03/21/05 01:28 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

After reading about it I would have to agree with just doing a new casing or cake over trying to squeeze the life out of one.

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: getting nutes back to your cakes via karo/honey water?? [Re: thenewguy05]
    #3949161 - 03/21/05 03:59 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

definitely the wise choice.

although there are times where experimentation won't do any harm... like if you waited too long to get a new batch of substrate started and you've got an extra week or two with these old worn out casings. have fun... why not? it's going in the trash sooner or later.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Dehydrator, Malt Extract, Rye Grain, Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation