Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineEnivid
Straight Rollin'

Second flush of PE...is this contam?? help/info needed **pics**
    #3933764 - 03/18/05 04:11 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm in my second flush of my PE cakes.  Everything was going fine until this evening.  While I was fanning the chamber out I noticed gray blue hues on the sides of the shrooms.  Some of the tiny ones are completely enveloped.  What is this, contam...too much moisture, too little?  :confused: All help and adivce from those more informed and experienced is greatly appreciated.  These are some pics of just one cake....

Edited by Enivid (03/18/05 04:46 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineefrog
Ecstatic,Electric,Eclectic
Female User Gallery

Loc: Near the River...
Re: Second flush of PE...is this contam?? help/info needed **pics** [Re: Enivid]
    #3933900 - 03/18/05 05:02 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hey, I am not a mushroom grower yet, well not THESE kind anyway :wink: But is it humid there and/or is the "ground" too wet? Because the bottoms are so fat, I wonder if it's because they're too wet? Waterlogged?

It *looks* like too much moisture to me, but I am sure others here will be able to tell you more.

--------------------
This is a whole new path. You cannot use your old map on this new path and if you try you'll only end up lost in the woods. Get a new map.

OfflineEnivid
Straight Rollin'

Re: Second flush of PE...is this contam?? help/info needed **pics** [Re: Enivid]
    #3933902 - 03/18/05 05:02 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

anyone deal with anything like this before?

OfflineEnivid
Straight Rollin'

#3933912 - 03/18/05 05:05 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for the reply Efrog...you can see my EQ cake on another post, they are pretty fat too and it was mentioned this may be due to much water. all my cakes are sitting on perlie which may be keeping the bottoms too moist. is this grey on the sides just signs of too much moisture (like the fat stems) or is it contam? what can I do? thanks for all the help

Offlineefrog
Female User Gallery

#3933947 - 03/18/05 05:22 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I don't really WANT to say this, because it sucks, but I believe it's mold forming. Mold is yes, a sign of too much moisture.

As to contaminated, all I know what I have read says you cannot EAT the shrooms when there's mold on them, so I guess *I* would consider them contaminated.

However, as I am in NO WAY an authority as much as the others here, just wait a few and see what they have to say.

But yeah, mold starts like this...a fine, grey to green "dustyish" material. Are the areas where it's grey softer, less firm than the surrounding stem? Does it rub off if you touch it? If so, it's more than likely that you've got some mold.

But again, because even good photos can be deceiving and because I am no PRO, wait for someone else to have a look, for your best interest.

Best of Luck!

--------------------
This is a whole new path. You cannot use your old map on this new path and if you try you'll only end up lost in the woods. Get a new map.

Offlineefrog
Female User Gallery

Re: Second flush of PE...is this contam?? help/info needed **pics** [Re: efrog]
    #3933951 - 03/18/05 05:25 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Also, just for your info, I have grown non-active mushrooms, Stein pilze (Stone Mushrooms), Chantarelles and Morels, this is from where I have my idea that it may be mold, research from that.

Another thing you can do, if take one of the WORST ones off, and open up the stem and have a look inside. Is it grey/blackish and slimy?

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3933985 - 03/18/05 05:37 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hmmm...I was going to say that they need more moisture, bluing occurs when they are oxidized and/or when they are getting dry..

Yes, bacteria Loves water too....Did you put h202 in your water? (3% in your total amount....3mls for every 100mls ect)...

Hmm...Take one and try to scrape off the blu-ness...If nothing comes off, then it's just some typical bruising/bluing...(did you touch/squeeze them at all? might have bruised them)....
If you scrape off some weird tissue From the fruit body, then it's a contam...

-Gnostic

OfflineEnivid
Straight Rollin'

#3933991 - 03/18/05 05:40 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

the grey/blue isn't "dustyish", is not powder like, does not rub off...i'll them sit overnight and open one up tomorrow for signs of decay and slime. thanks for the input E, greatly appreciated....are Morels hard to grow?

Offlineefrog
Female User Gallery

Re: Second flush of PE...is this contam?? help/info needed **pics** [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3933995 - 03/18/05 05:41 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Hmm...Take one and try to scrape off the blu-ness...If nothing comes off, then it's just some typical bruising/bluing.

That was my point too, about asking if it rubs off. :smile:

I sure HOPE it's bruising. That would be nicest.

--------------------

OfflineEnivid
Straight Rollin'

#3934002 - 03/18/05 05:46 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

yeah Gnostic, i read on here that bluing can occur when there is a lack of moisture...but i mist after every time i fan, and the perlite in my PMP is hella wet. it is not because of physical abuse, this stuff just popped up in like the last six hours. It's wierd cuz it's on almost all the shrooms the same way, only affecting one side....we'll see what they look like in another six or so...

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3934005 - 03/18/05 05:49 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Might explain your recent mushies then....It's probably a mute...A very strange one that blue...like a smirf hahaha
:shrug:

>the grey/blue isn't "dustyish", is not powder like, does not rub off
...Not sure why it'd be dustly like, most mold is gooey and such, and if it doesn't come off then its not mold, it's probably a mute oxidizing..why...B/c it's a Friggin Mute thats why :laugh:

-Gnostic

But time will tell :smirk:

Offlineefrog
Female User Gallery

#3934010 - 03/18/05 05:52 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Oh well HOPEFULLY then it's bruising...from what though? Anyway.

Morels: I bought some spawn in March (they grow in Spring), and just tossed it with garden soil mixed down with sand, and tossed it in a slightly dug out area (just grass, weeds stones removed) between a few ash trees at the back end of our property, so not really. I have not tried this in Germany yet, but I will be next year. I will be away too much this Spring/Summer to keep an eye on a garden, etc and I wouldn't even know where to get spawn here.

The first year not much happened, second year a little more, third year was EXCELLENT, but then I moved, so the folks who bought our old house have my morel patch :wink: I mentioned it to them when we were showing the house, but they didn't seem to care...:( Oh well.

They usually came up in oh, May. Unless it's warmer, then a little earlier.

Not *anything like* growing active mushies indoors though. Totally different situation. I think growing anything indoors in a "makeshift" habitat is MUCH harder than growing something in a habitat that's natural to it.

:smile:

--------------------

Offlineefrog
Female User Gallery

#3934016 - 03/18/05 05:55 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Sometimes, mold, on mushrooms (and green onions, for that matter, this happened to some of mine when the Rhein came up a bit and our ground was TOO wet for week or so), when it first forms is dusty. You rub it and it rubs off much like moist dust. You can actually rub it between your fingers.

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3934018 - 03/18/05 05:56 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Bluing occurs from about 2-3 factors Usually...

Mutes on the other hand are just plain out crazy....If it's a mute then maybe it's oxidizing b/c it's over working itself or something to that effect, it is after all, stubby, short, rather malformed looking compared to most from that strain...

His others looked the same, cept the veils looked like a bonnet :lol:

-Gnostic

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Second flush of PE...is this contam?? help/info needed **pics** [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3934026 - 03/18/05 05:58 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

What's the name of the mold?
Never heard of a dusty like mold growing on mushies...
Green mold(tric) is dusty....And so is the grayish mold...Forget the name...But his is really blue looking

You know the name of whatever mold you're talking about? I'll like to research it a bit :laugh:

-Gnostic

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3934033 - 03/18/05 06:03 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Forgot to ask...

What have you been cleaning with? Lysol...Oust..ectect
You've posted Two different Strains and Each of them show the Same type of growth...So keep that in mind :wink:

-Gnostic

Offlineefrog
Female User Gallery

#3934034 - 03/18/05 06:05 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hey there, he said "Grey-blue" and it looks greyish to me, but if it isn't dusty and it's bluer than grey then no, no idea and your suggestion is probably the correct one.

Quote:

But yeah, mold starts like this...a fine, grey to green "dustyish" material. Are the areas where it's grey softer, less firm than the surrounding stem? Does it rub off if you touch it? If so, it's more than likely that you've got some mold.

But again, because even good photos can be deceiving and because I am no PRO, wait for someone else to have a look, for your best interest.

The mold: I am not really a student of the mold, so no, I don't know the name, but it looks like you do.

--------------------

OfflineEnivid
Straight Rollin'

#3934094 - 03/18/05 06:52 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, what's up with those EQs eh?  all short and fat....it's been posted that could be attributed to waterlogging...the bottom casing is pretty wet.  maybe i should keep the lids up off the perlite...well i'll see how they are after while, post new pics etc...thanks for info fellas  :thumbup:

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
    #3934189 - 03/18/05 07:39 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

dude it looks like your cake is dehydrated to me theres blueing on the cake as well maybe from handleing did u dunk and i can tell you didnt roll so u could not have handled them much is the cake lightweight and you said you had got one flush from them did you dunk after that flush lots of ? you need to answer so u can gat a answer

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

OfflineAnything4Poppies
Wanderer Who HasCome Home

Re: Second flush of PE...is this contam?? help/info needed **pics** [Re: sludge]
    #3934221 - 03/18/05 07:52 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

the perlite is in there so you do not have to mist everytime you fan... i was doing that and it was quite apartent it was over misted... without perlite you have to mist several times a day, with the perlite you should be okay once every 2-3 days from my experiences with these godly fungi... Ive never seen bluing like that pre picking, but then again im semi new to it. If it doesnt scrape off like IgAb had said then id say ur golden. Those are some FATTIES that im sure youd rather eat than lose, but always remember better safe then sorry

---A4P

--------------------
"What a long, strange trip it's been" --- GD
"I think, Therefore I am." --- Rene Descartes

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation